Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

BETDAQ New Principal Partner (Shirt Sponsor) - Confirmed

Comments

• Options
    seth plum said:

Champs85 said:

I hardly ever comment on here but this is getting pathetic now. I really can't see people's problems with a betting company sponsoring us. As already mentioned so many clubs are sponsored by similar companies, including almost half of the teams in the biggest league in the world. But I guess it's another perfect excuse for everyone to moan about the current owners.

That betdaq employee only wrote that because our 'fans' have nothing better to do than email and tweet his company moaning about it. Fair play to him having an opinion on his own personal social media account. It seems that free speech only applies to those 'against the regime'.

Fair play to him for having an opinion, so why did he straight away hide what he said?
    Because our fans were straight on his back as usual. He probably didn't fancy loads of abuse.
  • Options

seth plum
    4:53PM

Swisdom said:

» show previous quotes
    He said something like "barrel of laughs these Charlton fans"

not crime of century but probably not his brightest idea either.

No not crime of the century, but stinks of arrogance, distain, and dismissal.

He should get on well with Pinocchio then Seth :smiley:

To be fair, Betdaq must have a good sense of humour if they think that being associated with this slow motion car crash will actually generate them any decent exposure!
  • Options

seth plum

Swisdom said:

» show previous quotes

To be fair, Betdaq must have a good sense of humour if they think that being associated with this slow motion car crash will actually generate them any decent exposure!

There is no such thing as bad publicity.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

seth plum

Swisdom said:

» show previous quotes

I'd argue that the University of Greenwich got more publicity than they bargained for with the news coverage last year!
  • Options

seth plum said:

Champs85 said:

I hardly ever comment on here but this is getting pathetic now. I really can't see people's problems with a betting company sponsoring us. As already mentioned so many clubs are sponsored by similar companies, including almost half of the teams in the biggest league in the world. But I guess it's another perfect excuse for everyone to moan about the current owners.

That betdaq employee only wrote that because our 'fans' have nothing better to do than email and tweet his company moaning about it. Fair play to him having an opinion on his own personal social media account. It seems that free speech only applies to those 'against the regime'.

Fair play to him for having an opinion, so why did he straight away hide what he said?
    His followers can still see the tweet.
    Not anymore - he's deleted his account.
  • Options
    Jesus, people on here seem to be more concerned that we're sponsored by a betting company that if we were to leave The Valley.

I will file this thread under 'couldn't give a ****'
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Gambling holds no interest for me, but if other people enjoy it then fair enough.

Like drinking or smoking it is an adult indulgence. But there seems little point hiding it away from children, worrying that they might be 'damaged' by being exposed to the concept of it.
    I'm not even sure I see the point of not having the BETDAQ logo on children's replica shirts. Presumably it has something to do with political correctness - something else that holds no interest for me.
    Will their decision to sponsor our shirts be a sensible one for BETDAQ? They seem to think so, and it's their money.

All I'm interested in really is how well each man wearing the shirt is playing on a match-day, not what's being advertised on it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Couldn't give a toss who sponsors us, but I do care if one of their employees publicly slags us on Day 1 of the agreement. This regime actually can't do anything right.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Couldn't give a toss who sponsors us, but I do care if one of their employees publicly slags us on Day 1 of the agreement. This regime actually can't do anything right.

As much as I hate the regime, not sure how you can blame them for one employee of our new sponsors being a muppet on social media?

• Options
    Swisdom said:

seth plum

Swisdom said:

» show previous quotes

For the shirt sponsor, a newsworthy club is generally good news, I seem to recall that when Julian Dicks was misbehaving for West Ham, Anglian Windows got masses of extra exposure in the press

Besides shirt sponsors do so for the national publicity, not because they're targeting the supporters of that club
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Champs85 said:

Completely understand your sentiment , but for a club with a good history of working in the community - I feel it really goes against what "we do"!

From first hand experience, I know the community trust educate both adults and 'kids' on healthy/safe living as well as the causes and dangers of addictions- smoking, alcohol and some traction covering gambling... So is it right for the CACT to continue to be pulled closer to a problem being promoted even though it teaches others to be wary/know it's danger and problems!

If it was suitable for kids to do/see , then they would be allowed to actively gamble - just like kids aren't allowed at most bars in pubs etc.

Added to this , is the intensity of kids being the future/priority to KM and what the club have said in regards to tickets etc- this gambling company will be on EVERY leaflet, letter, ticket and promotion inside the valley including any tv/interview coverage
  • Options
    drewman said:

Betdaq are a pretty high-profile company to be sponsoring a League One club so this is reasonably impressive from the commercial team

Never heard of them. But then I'd never heard of viglen, redbus, llanera, mesh...
    You get the picture.
    We've never heard of any of them since either. Betdaq are heading for the Elephants Graveyard.
  • Options
    So we've gone from hey kids get yourself educated to nah sod it have a flutter instead?

I can't wait for the day this lot sell up.
  • Options
    Just what commercial or community benefits / values will this sponsorship deal bring to us fans and the club.
    This sponsorship deals seems to be a cash cow for club. If a sponsorship deal is done well and gets the balance right, it offers clubs an opportunity to add value for fans (think, for example of O2’s many successful activations of its sponsorship of the England Rugby Team) and to help the club in pursuing other objectives. 
    The club Should have been thinking creatively about sponsorship packages, not just about securing a deal. I feel disappointed that they agreed to this and didn't seek one that will add more than just financial value to the club which could've lead to a more sustainable, long-term sponsorship.
  • Options
    Wear the club shirt and this happens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrURfEkEGss
  • Options
    red_murph said:

cafctom said:

As much as I hate the regime, not sure how you can blame them for one employee of our new sponsors being a muppet on social media?

I see the point you are making but I can't imagine anyone at University of Greenwich, Andrews Air Conditioning dreaming of doing something like that - because their employees genuinely respect Charlton.

• Options
    WSS said:

seth plum said:

Champs85 said:

Haha what a pussy
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

WSS said:

seth plum said:

Champs85 said:

Haha what a pussy
    It is almost if no one at Charlton warned them that 2% of fans were unhappy
  • Options

Just what commercial or community benefits / values will this sponsorship deal bring to us fans and the club.
    This sponsorship deals seems to be a cash cow for club. If a sponsorship deal is done well and gets the balance right, it offers clubs an opportunity to add value for fans (think, for example of O2’s many successful activations of its sponsorship of the England Rugby Team) and to help the club in pursuing other objectives. 
    The club Should have been thinking creatively about sponsorship packages, not just about securing a deal. I feel disappointed that they agreed to this and didn't seek one that will add more than just financial value to the club which could've lead to a more sustainable, long-term sponsorship.

But the club held a sponsors event at Sparrows Lane that was picketed by protesters. Maybe all the potential sponsors that fulfilled your criteria were put off?

And the end result were those sponsors who had no interest in all the things you talk about?
  • Options
    Betdaq , I believe , is a betting exchange where one punter bets with another and the exchange take a commission off the winner like betfair .
    To me these are a much better thing than normal bookies which in my years of experience are a complete and utter joke .
    They won't close you down but they will restrict you to a minuscule bet affectively closing you down .
    I spoke to someone at the racing post to try and raise the issue but they weren't really interested because it's an old pals game I suppose .

If you start to win or have a winner they don't like you and you are affectively closed down .... I was closed down by firms and was the worlds worst gambler !
    When we got relegated the first time to league One I lumped On us to be relegated with Boylesports at 6/4 or something and said I'll only open an account if I can get £4k on it because they were best price I told em it's a sentimental hedge .... 3 months later they were best price 1/4 I asked for £2k and they restricted me to £50 ....
    Bet365 similar story backing the scum to go up and then restricted
    When I asked them what my history was the clown on the end of the phone said I was a net loser of £850 a year whilst the account was open , I said why close me , we don't like your style of betting , weirdos
    I understand they are a business but they only want losers on board or ones that bet in a way they like .... But they missed out on me and betfair punters benefitted !!
  • Options
    Seems to me some would have been happier to moan that we didn't manage to get a proper sponsor of if it was only a related busines of RD whereas actually despite the odds (get it!) the club managed to negotiate some commercial income.

Probably low value compared to some but something is better than nothing I guess if season ticket income is down. I don't recall any great objections to various sponsors around the ground who may not have a perfect Community theme to aspire too. It's a commercial reality to take the income offered (within reason).

At the moment the club are generally doing some positive'ish things. Very inconvenient for the protests but until,the squad is finalised and the transfer window is closed all bets are off for me.

• Options
    edited July 2016

seth plum

Swisdom said:

» show previous quotes

Well. there's probably at least 500 on here that have been reading about betdaq all day and the vast majority had never heard of them beforehand. I should imagine they are extremely pleased.
  • Options
    We're going to Ascot tomorrow and I just compared the odds I got elsewhere.
    Betdaq are pretty poor, although I do realise they are an exchange.

http://www.oddschecker.com/horse-racing/2016-07-09-ascot/14:10/winner
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Champs85 said:

This from the man who said he found the Charlton Knight mascot 'creepy' and wouldn't want him anywhere near his children. Your histrionics know no bounds.

• Options
    Redskin said:

seth plum said:

Champs85 said:

This from the man who said he found the Charlton Knight mascot 'creepy' and wouldn't want him anywhere near his children. Your histrionics know no bounds.

I don't see the connection you're making.
    I take your use of 'histrionics' to mean attention seeking.
    Well, when people like you and I write on a forum it is in the vague expectation that somebody will read it, pay attention to it.
    If by histrionics you mean the more developed definition of a severe personality disorder, then you have scant evidence to back that up. You add 'know no bounds' the implication is that I will write or say or do absolutely anything to attract attention, and seeing as you don't know me beyond what I write here, once again your evidence is scant.
    In addition to declare that somebody is simply saying anything to attract attention is a way of not engaging with the content of what is said. As is often cited, it is a way of playing the man not the ball.
  • Options
    What point, exactly, were you trying to make by the remark about the knight mascot?
    As for 'scant evidence', really? Your post- referendum posts were hysterical in the true sense of the word.
    I'd imagine you're a good egg in 'real life' but sometimes your over - dramatic wilbbling on here undermines any serious point you're attempting to make.
    Anyway, it's only the Internet, nothing serious.
  • Options
    Redskin
    It would be good if you could quote exactly what I said about the Knight mascot and then I could give you a decent response to your question.
    Interestingly another poster commented on my post referendum comments, indicating they were over the top because I feared a rise in racism, and that Brexiters kept telling remainers to shut up about the result, which I alluded to tattoos and bitches.
    I went over all that ground already on that thread, maybe you missed it, pretty inconsequential stuff anyway.
    You describe my writing style as over dramatic wibbling and that is absolutely fair comment. Most posters have an individual style, but my approach is to try to engage with what they say rather than assume their style negates their content.