Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Welling v Charlton | Sat 09 July | 3pm KICK-OFF | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    SDAddick said:

No - one has thought to add the 2 players looking for contracts. Buxton and Crofts...

To be honest, I'm not overly excited to see two 32 year-old lower league journeymen, one a center half and the other a scrappy midfielder. Our squad could certainly use some experience, but they feel like a step too far in the other direction.
    Maybe, but I'm pretty certain they will get a run out against Welling!
  • Options
    0-3
  • Options

SDAddick said:

No - one has thought to add the 2 players looking for contracts. Buxton and Crofts...

To be honest, I'm not overly excited to see two 32 year-old lower league journeymen, one a center half and the other a scrappy midfielder. Our squad could certainly use some experience, but they feel like a step too far in the other direction.
    Yes, and as trialists they should, my list and subsequent comment was more about who I'm excited/curious to see rather than who we will see. I suspect we'll see at least 22 players.

Also, on the record of "excited to see" I would be excited to see Bauer but I suspect it's too early for him, though he did comment on the bleep test with a vague comment about "Saturday." Also would like to see Tex, but sort of suspect he and Jordan may have "minor niggles" due to ongoing transger negotiations.
  • Options
    Surely Lennon is nailed on at CB or has he got the plague or something?
  • Options

Surely Lennon is nailed on at CB or has he got the plague or something?

Injured
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

Yes, and as trialists they should, my list and subsequent comment was more about who I'm excited/curious to see rather than who we will see. I suspect we'll see at least 22 players.

Also, on the record of "excited to see" I would be excited to see Bauer but I suspect it's too early for him, though he did comment on the bleep test with a vague comment about "Saturday." Also would like to see Tex, but sort of suspect he and Jordan may have "minor niggles" due to ongoing transger negotiations.
    No chance of Bauer playing. Wasn't involved in the beep tests, and I would think he's at the same level of preparedness (not fitness!) as Watt...
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

(Not very) interesting fact for you - this season marks 10 years since we lost to Welling in this fixture under Dowie's stewardship, marking the beginning of a seemingly terminal decline.

That game finished 1-0 to Welling, thanks to a Simon Walton own goal. On my drive to the ground, I was approaching the stadium along Park View Road and stopped to allow some pedestrians to cross. As they were crossing the road, I realised that I recognised the pedestrians - one was our fat, new Australian coach, John Harbin and the other one was the mirrorbreaker himself, Iain Dowie. I was furious that we had appointed Dowie from the Sad bastards from Surrey, and had to concentrate every ounce of my willpower into preventing myself from driving at them at full speed. However, I managed to control myself, worried about the damage that Iain's face could inflict on my car.

I often wonder how things might have been different if I'd brutally slaughtered Iain and his mate that fateful evening. We could have appointed Billy Davies, or even persuaded Curbs to come back, we'd probably still be in the Premier League, we'd surely have qualified for the Europa League at least once, we'd never have heard of Roland and Katrien and most of us would probably still think of Richard Murray as a nice, old man, rather than a senile lunatic. Real Sliding Doors moment.

Anyway, I predict a 3-0 victory, and more opportunity for the easily-bought amongst us to convince themselves that everything's fine and there's no need to protest anymore.

Just as well you did resist, A dent in the shape of Dowies face impressed into the bonnet must seriously effect the second hand value, that's the sort of thing that don't polish out!.
  • Options
    I really can't be bothered with this. The Belgians have killed my enthusiasm for all things Charlton. But I have ordered my protest shirt ...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrLargo said:

(Not very) interesting fact for you - this season marks 10 years since we lost to Welling in this fixture under Dowie's stewardship, marking the beginning of a seemingly terminal decline.

That game finished 1-0 to Welling, thanks to a Simon Walton own goal. On my drive to the ground, I was approaching the stadium along Park View Road and stopped to allow some pedestrians to cross. As they were crossing the road, I realised that I recognised the pedestrians - one was our fat, new Australian coach, John Harbin and the other one was the mirrorbreaker himself, Iain Dowie. I was furious that we had appointed Dowie from the Sad bastards from Surrey, and had to concentrate every ounce of my willpower into preventing myself from driving at them at full speed. However, I managed to control myself, worried about the damage that Iain's face could inflict on my car.

I often wonder how things might have been different if I'd brutally slaughtered Iain and his mate that fateful evening. We could have appointed Billy Davies, or even persuaded Curbs to come back, we'd probably still be in the Premier League, we'd surely have qualified for the Europa League at least once, we'd never have heard of Roland and Katrien and most of us would probably still think of Richard Murray as a nice, old man, rather than a senile lunatic. Real Sliding Doors moment.

Anyway, I predict a 3-0 victory, and more opportunity for the easily-bought amongst us to convince themselves that everything's fine and there's no need to protest anymore.

So this mess we're now in is all your fault.
  • Options

SDAddick said:

We're shopping within outr budget. I'd rather sign 2 players with a bit of nous about them than 2 complete shitehawks - the likes of Sarr and Lepoint spring to mind. £1.6m on Sarr or Buxton on a free - I know which one is prefer.

We're in league 1 so can only expect to attract league 1 standard players

I get what you're saying about direction - thank the owner and his sidekick for that.
    Fair points, and I am still living in a bit of cloud cuckoo land where I think we'll hold on to all of our central midfielders aside from Cousins. Kashi and Diarra would both be in with a shout for the most gifted players in the league were that the case, both of them defensive minded, and as states above what we desperately need is a creative central player. That said, I fear we'll be very lucky to have Kashi playing for us this year.

At center back, we already have a clogger in RoJo, we're looking at signing Michael Turner who would be decent at this level, don't feel like we need three CBs plus Diarra as potential cover in their 30s.

All of the above should be caveated with the fact that it's very early in the silly season, and that our squad is likely to change drastically over the next two months. It's better we have options
  • Options
    Parking is always a nightmire but I'll be going. 3-1 win.
  • Options
    I'll be there, it's become a bit of a yearly occasion for me and the missus. I get a cheeky tan on whilst I'm there generally.
  • Options

Parking is always a nightmtunneire but I'll be going. 3-1 win.

Park the other side of the train line Northdown Road. There is a foot tunnelhalf way down Northdown that brings you out 2 minutes from the ground. Only issue is make sure if you park on the pavements you use the white boxes
  • Options
    Bergdich has not reported back to the Club yet. I wonder what that is all about.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    dickplumb said:

Bergdich has not reported back to the Club yet. I wonder what that is all about.

Wow really? Has the club agreed to that or has he just not turned up?
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

dickplumb said:

He has been told to stay away. Not in Slade's plans. Source - training ground contact.
  • Options
    Not featuring is Zak Bergdich, yet to return to the Club. I wonder why?
  • Options

Not featuring is Zak Bergdich, yet to return to the Club. I wonder why?

That's ruined our survival chances.
  • Options

SDAddick said:

dickplumb said:

He has been told to stay away. Not in Slade's plans. Source - training ground contact.
    I wonder what Slade based that on as he's never met him.
  • Options

SDAddick said:

dickplumb said:

No idea. Other players or coaches opinion? Maybe Euell, Clark or Jackson have had a word.

Perhpas he played against Cardiff and Slade remembered him from that?
  • Options

SDAddick said:

dickplumb said:

No idea. Other players or coaches opinion? Maybe Euell, Clark or Jackson have had a word.

Perhpas he played against Cardiff and Slade remembered him from that?
    He played against Cardiff away. (Subbed at half time?) He was shocking. Slade would not have been impressed.
  • Options
    edited July 2016