Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CARD STATEMENT 2: BRIGHTON HOME GAME

edited April 2016 in General Charlton
Following the team’s relegation to League One on Tuesday night, the Coalition Against Roland Duchatelet (CARD) is calling on all Charlton fans who want the owner to sell the club to march to The Valley from Charlton Church Lane at 2.15pm on Saturday.

CARD is planning another massive pre-match protest, along similar lines to the funeral procession before the Middlesbrough game last month, which will assemble outside the Charlton Liberal Club, opposite the junction with Sundorne Road, from 2pm.

This time we will also be joined by supporters of opponents Brighton & Hove Albion*, who are turning out to back CARD in acknowledgement of the contribution Addicks supporters made to their Fans United day at the Goldstone Ground 19 years ago.

But we need a huge turnout to show the extent of anger and the determination among Charlton supporters of all ages to drive Duchatelet, chief executive Katrien Meire and their apologists out of the club - and we’ll be bringing some protest materials along to ensure that it is an appropriate spectacle for the media.

With the team’s fate confirmed, we’re chucking the kitchen sink at the regime this weekend. The march is just the start. CARD is organising further protests during the match, and is also calling for fans to reassemble in the west stand car park at the final whistle - and to make the whole afternoon as uncomfortable as possible for Meire and chairman Richard Murray.

Since Duchatelet hasn’t attended a match since October 21st, 2014, there seems little chance him being there on Saturday. But you never know…

Further details of our plans for Saturday will follow at the end of the week and on the matchday itself, but CARD is planning its biggest show of strength yet and we need every Charlton fan who shares our view to stand alongside us.

We continue to liaise with the Metropolitan Police to ensure the safety of all supporters, and we urge fans to avoid actions that will bring them into conflict with the police, including any xenophobic, racist or sexist chanting or slogans, as well as flares.

We’re also calling in as many CARD volunteers as possible. If you can help from 1pm , please email us on charlton.card@yahoo.co.uk. There’s plenty going on!

(*In February 1997, a significant number of Charlton fans travelled to Sussex to help support Brighton fans in their hour of need. The Fans United protest that day saw supporters travel to the match versus Hartlepool United from all over the country, but few if any of the non-participating clubs were as well represented as the Addicks. The Seagulls were about to lose the Goldstone Ground and no set of fans knew more about being homeless than ours. Since then there has been a special bond between the two groups of fans - and not just because of our mutual disdain for Crystal Palace. On Saturday, we will be Fans United once again.)

Comments

• Options
    March 'on' the Valley?
  • Options
    Fans united, i was at that game. So many different shirts, i was chatting to a Palace fan and Millwall on the day. As well as getting a little cheeky kiss from the very lovely Hells Bells :) Look forward to Saturday, first game of the season for me for many reasons...
  • Options
    I'm glad the march is starting from outside the Lib again. Very handy. sensible place for logistical reasons

Now where is that "Roland and Katrien Time To Go" banner?

PS was at the Goldstone on Fans United day too. Glad to see the favour being returned.
  • Options

In my boot haha.
  • Options
    I just get this feeling in my bones that this might be a very big day in Charlton's history. I hope I'm not letting the emotion and rhetoric of the occasion get me carried away, and this is indeed the case.
  • Options

I'm glad the march is starting from outside the Lib again. Very handy. sensible place for logistical reasons

PS was at the Goldstone on Fans United day too. Glad to see the favour being returned.

We will use the same (i think there are two) with the joint protest with STVV!
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Nearly 2,000 miles away but there in spirit. I look forward to seeing photos of the day's events. Well done Brighton and thanks for your support and I hope the protest during the game doesn't affect you taking home the full three points - your need is better than ours now. Well done CARD too both home and abroad.

Give a little whistle...!
  • Options
    Was there plans to protest at the Melexis AGM today?
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Absolutely gutted to be missing this as I am at a wedding up north.

I hope the plans for Burnley will be even bigger @CARD
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thank you, Seagulls. Your support is very much appreciated.
  • Options
    Was also at the Goldstone and very happy they will be with us on Saturday.
  • Options
    I'll be there - only second game of the season. This season will have cost me £160 per game with my season ticket, but I intend to get my money's worth on Saturday...
  • Options
    CARD have been rehearsing for Saturday. I managed to get a sneaky bit of video footage of Rick in his 'When Saturday Comes' outfit ...

On My Command Unleash Hell
  • Options
    A good bunch, the BHA lot. I hope they go up.

I'm sure they'll be lots of support from them - after all, when it comes to shit owners, we've got a lot in common!
  • Options
    Copied and pasted the email address in the opening statement to this thread to offer my support at 1300 on Saturday. However, Outlook was saying "format error" to the email address and wouldn't send.
  • Options
    Brighton fans have been excellent over this, seeing as how excited they are for this promotion push, and they have every right to expect to enjoy a successful footballing day out.

Many thanks in advance to the Seagulls who are able to show support for our efforts.
  • Options
    Thanks to Seagulls fans.

Whereas its unlikely RD will be at The Valley - you never know, we might just bump into him in Belgium.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well done CARD and thanks Seagulls

I just hope that our protests do not affect the match itself as for BHA it is an important match in their push for promotion.
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

Copied and pasted the email address in the opening statement to this thread to offer my support at 1300 on Saturday. However, Outlook was saying "format error" to the email address and wouldn't send.

I've just done it Peter, and it worked fine. Can you try again please?

charlton.card@yahoo.co.uk
  • Options

Well done CARD and thanks Seagulls

I just hope that our protests do not affect the match itself as for BHA it is an important match in their push for promotion.

I agree - we shouldn't do anything which affects the game for Brighton. They deserve to go up and if they beat us, I won't be disappointed now that we're down.
  • Options
    I'll be in Romania, following the protests on social media as closely as I can.

Give 'em hell, - then repeat liberally as required.
  • Options
    I hope the local press and radio pick up on the demonstration march for all those who do not read this forum, the more supporters the better. Mr Cawley are you writing your story
  • Options
    Thanks Seagulls. Really hope they go up this season, preferably automatically.
  • Options
    Would they get 3 points if the match was abandoned? I'm guessing there is no guarantee of that...some FA body has to decide. Not sure if it's the Professional Game Board or some other lunch club.