Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rob Elliot

Comments

• Options
    Very sad news , RIP Rob senior
  • Options
    Wasted his career, but has made himself a rich man
  • Options

Geordie? Surely it should be Charlton Rob?

He's really happy up in the north east now, he's gone native!
  • Options
    When did he win player of the year?
  • Options
  • Options
    I'm amazed he played enough games in any season to win POTY! Looking it up he played 21 games that season and got POTY, which doesn't say much about the rest of the team...
  • Options
    Where's he going?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wonder where he'll be off to, reckon there are a few Premier League clubs in the bottom half or top half Championship clubs that he could do a job for
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Moving on from Newcastle. Still a very nice lad it would seem.
    That is a very, very classy way to leave a club. Well done.

Will be interesting to see if he gets picked up by another Premier League or Championship club. Maybe not a formality now given the financial position many clubs now find themselves in. 

And will be interesting to see when his career finally finishes if he stays up in the NE or returns back to Kent.

• Options
    The question now is whether Rob is a keeper or a career back-up keeper, which is a valid role. If he wants to get back on the pitch then there's plenty of teams lower down who will take him. If he's happy just to see out his career as a competent back-up then he'll probably end up at Chelsea or City. Chelsea always like to bring in an English third keeper for European squads and Rob Green finally retired last year. They'd be smart to get him in if they need to meet the requirements
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Moving on from Newcastle. Still a very nice lad it would seem.
    Can't believe it was 9 years ago he left us!
    He played 110 games for us

In NINE seasons with Newcastle, he played 68 games!
    The question now is whether Rob is a keeper or a career back-up keeper, which is a valid role. If he wants to get back on the pitch then there's plenty of teams lower down who will take him. If he's happy just to see out his career as a competent back-up then he'll probably end up at Chelsea or City. Chelsea always like to bring in an English third keeper for European squads and Rob Green finally retired last year. They'd be smart to get him in if they need to meet the requirements
    A good question. Having played so few games in the last 9 years, would anyone actually trust him to be a number one keeper now?
  • Options
    Wonder where he'll be off to, reckon there are a few Premier League clubs in the bottom half or top half Championship clubs that he could do a job for
    He could go anywhere & sit on the bench /in the stand. What a waste of a career, train all week but rarely play a competitive game. Appreciate he may have made a decent amount of money but when you're not even second choice I just don't get it.
  • Options
    He could go anywhere & sit on the bench /in the stand. What a waste of a career, train all week but rarely play a competitive game. Appreciate he may have made a decent amount of money but when you're not even second choice I just don't get it.
    Trouble for a lot of Goalkeepers though isnt it... Bit of a unique position in Football as most stay relatively fit so very little rotation required apart from cup games

When you take that into consideration compared with a Right-Back then there are only really 92 first team spots available in the Football League
  • Options
    I stand by this point.

The guy has done well for himself and has set himself up for life I would think. 

Still don't know how he got the move to Newcastle, he was terrible for us in the 2010/11 season and not much better in 09/10 bar a couple of games. 

Owes Pardew/Andy Woodman a lot.
  • Options
    It's just different with keepers. Being a valued back-up is a choice some make and it works for them. Goalkeeper is a real pressure job and it's different to other roles in that there's almost never rotation. I think if keepers aren't number 1 they'd probably prefer to be number 3, because having to come in cold almost always sees the keeper look flappy and nervous from the start. I've always felt that there probably comes a point when you've been the reserve keeper for a while that it must be a really difficult thing mentally to look at coming back in playing with all that pressure every week. It must be so much easier just to embrace your role on the training ground developing your game and the other keepers and being available in a pinch.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I really doubt that he will get a job as a PL first choice keeper anywhere - it's not the fact that he is 34 but more that he has only played 68 games in 9 years and the last one was in 2017. There are only 20 first choice places and there are hundreds of keepers round the world who will have a CV far stronger than Rob's. He made himself "out of sight out of mind" by not going out on loan and hasn't even been on the bench for Newcastle in recent times.

I suspect that he might get an opportunity in League 1 or 2 but would be surprised if it was anything above that level. 
  • Options
    I stand by this point.

The guy has done well for himself and has set himself up for life I would think. 

Still don't know how he got the move to Newcastle, he was terrible for us in the 2010/11 season and not much better in 09/10 bar a couple of games. 

Definitely wasn't terrible. I'd say his performance in the 2-2 draw away at Bournemouth in 2011 was probably the best I've seen by a Charlton keeper.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    3rd choice Benfica keeper Paulo Lopes retired with below record:

Seasons Played - 13
    Games Played - 11
    Trophies Won - 12

And earnt millions of Euros along the way.

Where do I sign up? 

• Options
    I stand by this point.

Definitely wasn't terrible. I'd say his performance in the 2-2 draw away at Bournemouth in 2011 was probably the best I've seen by a Charlton keeper.
    That was 1 game. I am talking about the season, he was lucky he had only Ross Worner as competition otherwise he would've been dropped like the previous season.
  • Options
    I stand by this point.

Your post sums things up well.

It's all about the dough.
  • Options
    Whey aye man he'll nee be gan doon South now he's a Geordie like. 

He'll nee go further than Sunderland, Borough or at a reet push he'll go owa t'Darlington. I mean 'e's got his his hoose, his hinny 'n bairns he'd be reet radge to go any further like. 
  • Options
    Sunderland need a keeper now McLaughlin has joined Rangers. 

He played under Parky for us although Ben Alnwick has also been linked. 
  • Options
    I stand by this point.

That was 1 game. I am talking about the season, he was lucky he had only Ross Worner as competition otherwise he would've been dropped like the previous season.
    Okay I think we disagree on this.
  • Options
    Whey aye man he'll nee be gan doon South now he's a Geordie like. 

He'll nee go further than Sunderland, Borough or at a reet push he'll go owa t'Darlington. I mean 'e's got his his hoose, his hinny 'n bairns he'd be reet radge to go any further like. 
    I know you're joking but he's got a couple of nice houses in kent too. 

My missus went to school with his sister and a few year ago we went to a pool party at one of his places.