Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rob Elliot

124»

Comments

• Options
    Good lad is Rob one of us as are his family, remember saying hello to him at Eland Road on the concourse at half time for a midweek game when he popped down from Newcastle to watch us.
  • Options
    As far as I know, still hasn't got a club for the new season. Which given he must have a good few years left proves how players aren't necessarily going to walk into another well paid position.

Mind you, as he has supposedly been earning £25k a week for the last 9 years maybe he doesn't need (or want) to play for buttons in the lower leagues! 
  • Options
    As far as I know, still hasn't got a club for the new season. Which given he must have a good few years left proves how players aren't necessarily going to walk into another well paid position.

Mind you, as he has supposedly been earning £25k a week for the last 9 years maybe he doesn't need (or want) to play for buttons in the lower leagues! 
    Not played a single game for the last 2 seasons

If I was a club I'd be worried about hiring someone who hasn't played for that length of time
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    The problem is that for most of us, we would play for nothing. For professional footballers it is a career. It is more expected for players to make a financial based decision over a playing one. And to be fair, his decision may well have made him the most money.

Rob is a Charlton fan so maybe he has made enough money to consider joining us as potentially a reserve keeper. That is of course if we were interested but if Phillips goes, maybe we might be. Who knows?
  • Options
    Think he has said that he is settled in the north east  

Could see him playing for a northern or Scottish club. 
  • Options

Not played a single game for the last 2 seasons

If I was a club I'd be worried about hiring someone who hasn't played for that length of time
    It's almost 3 years as his last game was Christmas 2017 and he's only played 66 games in 9 years. Nice work if you can get it.

If Dillon Phillips is considered the forgotten man, Elliott never existed!!!!
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    If the average squad member gets £2K under our cap a number two keeper is not going to be on more than £1K p/w.  Robbie may be a fan but seems highly unlikely that would appeal!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Brilliant in the air and superb reflexes. I remember thinking that he didn't have the same diving range as some taller keepers and that a shot in the corner was usually a goal, but everything else he was top-class 
  • Options
    If the average squad member gets £2K under our cap a number two keeper is not going to be on more than £1K p/w.  Robbie may be a fan but seems highly unlikely that would appeal!
    It depends on a number of things.  What's important to him now.  I assume Ben Watson is, like Elliott, set for life.  He wanted to play football AND live in Beckingham.  Doesn't really give him may options does it?

If he Elliott wanted to move "home", and I don't think he actually does, the options would probably be us, Gillingham and Wimbledon?  I don't think it would come down to money. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    It depends on a number of things.  What's important to him now.  I assume Ben Watson is, like Elliott, set for life.  He wanted to play football AND live in Beckingham.  Doesn't really give him may options does it?

If he Elliott wanted to move "home", and I don't think he actually does, the options would probably be us, Gillingham and Wimbledon?  I don't think it would come down to money. 
    Excellent post. Sometimes geography trumps money  

It worked in our favour with Johnnie Jackson and Ben Watson. I am sure Bows and Gallen are aware of players that may come in who are based in the south east and London. 
  • Options
    Very often it is how a player left us and how good that player used to be that dictates what regard he is held in. 

A 34 year old who left us on seemingly good terms but who no one seems to have seen play for three years and who might well be out of shape and not retain the reflexes he once had is, seemingly, in demand. Had Elliot not been favoured by Parkinson then Randolph would have stayed. One went on to play 45 times for the Republic of Ireland, the other 4. One has played 350 games since he left us, the other just 66. 

I would guesstimate that Elliot has earned him almost £200,000 a game. He's a thoroughly decent human being so good luck to him. But, from a professional football perspective, I wouldn't touch him with a barge pole. Phillips, who is under contract and has been brilliant for us in the last 18 months than Elliot has in 10 years and wants to play is, on the other hand, regarded as a leper because he won't sign a new one. Even if Phillips isn't first choice he should be on the bench in my opinion. 

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Phillips is not a leper, he is popular with fans even though he wants to leave.  I doubt Bowyer has fallen out with him, just sticking to his guns.  Everyone seems to be doing what is right for themselves which is fair enough.
  • Options
    Phillips is not a leper, he is popular with fans even though he wants to leave.  I doubt Bowyer has fallen out with him, just sticking to his guns.  Everyone sea to be doing what is right for themselves which is fair enough.
    A "leper" in the sense that LB doesn't want him anywhere near the first team. What happens if Amos gets injured? Does LB now say "all is forgiven and we now need you". Or does he put a rookie in goal and have an academy player on the bench?

Let me put this another way. Let's say Bogle does OK this season and the 12 month option is taken up. Then next season he gets 10 goals in the first 10 games and we want him to sign a new extension but he refuses to do so. Would LB do the same to him as he has to Phillips? How does he find someone to replace him if he does? 

Equally, why did LB continue to play Taylor when he wouldn't sign a new contract? This is what LB said at the time:

But Bowyer – speaking exclusively to the South London Press – said: “Lyle has been offered a contract and he declined it.

“It’s his choice if he wants to sign it or not.

“We’ve offered him a good contract. Roland [Duchatelet] offered him what we think is a good contract.”

If this is a matter of principle then that principle should apply to everyone.
  • Options
    Phillips is not a leper, he is popular with fans even though he wants to leave.  I doubt Bowyer has fallen out with him, just sticking to his guns.  Everyone sea to be doing what is right for themselves which is fair enough.
    A "leper" in the sense that LB doesn't want him anywhere near the first team. What happens if Amos gets injured? Does LB now say "all is forgiven and we now need you". Or does he put a rookie in goal and have an academy player on the bench?

Let me put this another way. Let's say Bogle does OK this season and the 12 month option is taken up. Then next season he gets 10 goals in the first 10 games and we want him to sign a new extension but he refuses to do so. Would LB do the same to him as he has to Phillips? How does he find someone to replace him if he does? 

Equally, why did LB continue to play Taylor when he wouldn't sign a new contract? This is what LB said at the time:

But Bowyer – speaking exclusively to the South London Press – said: “Lyle has been offered a contract and he declined it.

“It’s his choice if he wants to sign it or not.

“We’ve offered him a good contract. Roland [Duchatelet] offered him what we think is a good contract.”

If this is a matter of principle then that principle should apply to everyone.
    The difference is he is actively trying to sell Philips.  
  • Options
    Effectively he's 3rd choice keeper there. Probably as good as he could realistically get
  • Options
    Effectively he's 3rd choice keeper there. Probably as good as he could realistically get
    Probably will be third choice but I think Foster is out for a month or so with a broken finger or hand. Makes sense for Elliot and Watford. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Probably ..... but he won't worry about that right now. He'll be pleased to get a job again, you bet.
    Also he's back in the loop and not the forgotten man.

Watford's a very decent entry on his CV and keeps his fitness up, even if he's sitting on the bench (mind you he's made a career of that!).
    Every chance of getting a gig in the summer now.

Pleased for him that his couple of months training at Sparrows Lane after surgery, enabled him to keep his career going.

• Options
    under normal circumstances, would be ideal for him to take in a couple Charlton games  
  • Options
    34, not even played 200 matches.