Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

First day of work advice

So I saw all the great advice dished out on the university advice thread and I wonder what words of wisdom Charlton life would have for me.

On monday I'm starting a years placement at a government department working as an economic analyst.

This is my first "real" job so I'm a little nervous... anyone do a similar sort of thing and have any tips or just any new job/first day at work tips!

Thanks!

Comments

• Options

sorry, working in Government isn't a 'real' job

Had a feeling I shouldn't have included that detail!
  • Options

When you make a cup of tea offer to do the same for everyone else in your team.

The rest will follow

Take notes as you will get bombarded with info and names.

Ask questions if your not sure. Much better than getting it wrong.

Dress smart. You can always dress down later if too much.

Don't spend all day on CL. I'll miss the likes and LOLs though : - )

Ask what learning and development is going and take as much as you can. Ditto join any project teams.

Don't go out and get pissed with colleagues until you've been there a while. A drink yes, 15 pints, no.

Hadn't thought of that! Thanks! :)
  • Options
    Don't go asking who the Office Slut is!!
  • Options
    Be yourself or at least behave as you would normally in a professional, serious environment.

Work will occupy more of your time than anything excepting, possibly, sleep so you need to feel as comfortable and relaxed (in a non-stressed out sense) as you can. It is a fact of life that some people "fit" firms and organisations and others do not.

Some thrive in a large structured corporate environment where there is a clearly defined career path others take their chances in small firms where "strategy" means dealing with the most urgent thing that day. In other words unpredictable.

It's horses for courses so as I say be yourself and eventually you will find your niche. No work experience is bad, although it may feel awful at that time, because it is as important to learn what you don't like as what you do.

If you're married with children and other responsibilities it might be necessary to compromise in order to keep things together but if you're young and single my advice above stands.
  • Options

The rest will follow

Ask what learning and development is going and take as much as you can. Ditto join any project teams.

Don't go out and get pissed with colleagues until you've been there a while. A drink yes, 15 pints, no.

This is spot on - particularly not getting slaughtered with the team. You make a name for yourself in the first month. You don't want that name to be 'the guy who took a shit in the boss' drawer'
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Try not to bone the secretary in your first week.

'specially if his name is Bob.
  • Options

agreed, you should have that out the way by lunch time on your first day
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Receptionist should be fine though. It's like being at university when they do "f*&k a fresher week" - receptionists are all over it.

When claiming any expenses back you must, by law, add 15% to anything you spent. It's known as Civil Unity Nominal Tax (be sure to abbreviate that when completing the expense form)

You should bow to anyone in a higher rank.

High 5's have replaced the handshake nowadays. Alternatively fistbump. If you must handshake it's always with the left hand.

Anyone in the same role as you should not be addressed by their correct name - men are "Geez" and women are "Sugar Tits"

Do this and you'll be fine

And this is a boss speaking :-)
  • Options
    Addicted said:

The rest will follow

This is spot on - particularly not getting slaughtered with the team. You make a name for yourself in the first month. You don't want that name to be 'the guy who took a shit in the boss' drawer'
    ......unless your boss is the Frank Bough / Michael Hutchence / David Carradine type ;)
  • Options
    If you ask the boss's secretary to tap-dance for you in the stationary cupboard, try not to clap your hands and squeal, 'Bouncy, bouncy!'
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Receptionist should be fine though. It's like being at university when they do "f*&k a fresher week" - receptionists are all over it.

When claiming any expenses back you must, by law, add 15% to anything you spent. It's known as Civil Unity Nominal Tax (be sure to abbreviate that when completing the expense form)

You should bow to anyone in a higher rank.

High 5's have replaced the handshake nowadays. Alternatively fistbump. If you must handshake it's always with the left hand.

Anyone in the same role as you should not be addressed by their correct name - men are "Geez" and women are "Sugar Tits"

Do this and you'll be fine

Receptionists? Of course, fill your boots. Filth the lot of them.
  • Options
    Be early, but not ridiculously so - say 10/15 mins.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Definitely this one (And try to be 10/15mins early each day)... If they make a joking comment of: "Your early today" I always respond with.

Really hate being late for anything, although however hard I try I never can seem to be late for something...

Means that if there is a rare occasion when your going to be late, they'll just ignore it, and like with me, it became a dept joke when I was late by 15mins once and was so annoyed about it
  • Options
    edited September 2015

DO NOT make the Tea the others will see this as your duty then its not your there to learn your trade, not make every lazy sods tea.

The rest will follow

Take notes as you will get bombarded with info and names. If unsure refer to by a nickname ie short bloke = stumpy fat bloke = tubs etc light hearted jokes carry weight

Ask questions if your not sure. Much better than getting it wrong. agreed

Dress smart. You can always dress down later if too much. its not a fashion show wear comfortable clothes

Don't spend all day on CL. I'll miss the likes and LOLs though : - ) start as you mean to go on

Ask what learning and development is going and take as much as you can. Ditto join any project teams.as long as extra hour not involved its fine but if extra hour tell them you need downtime

Don't go out and get pissed with colleagues until you've been there a while. A drink yes, 15 pints, no.set the bar high if your pain when you've had a drink its not gonna change given time so go hard or go home

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Make sure you turn up hungover on your first Friday. That way they'll think its the norm that you look a bit bedraggled at the end of each week. If you turn up fresh every Friday then when you do turn up hungover they'll spot you from a mile off :wink:
  • Options
    edited September 2015
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Make sure the stationary cupboard is cleaned out and tidy before the Christmas Party and the photocopier glass is clean.

Seriously, retire as early as you can!
  • Options
    All the best CA.
  • Options
    Do not slap your cock on the bosses desk and demand a pay rise until your probationary period is over. Too alpha male...
  • Options

se9addick said:

Definitely this one (And try to be 10/15mins early each day)... If they make a joking comment of: "Your early today" I always respond with.

Really hate being late for anything, although however hard I try I never can seem to be late for something...

Means that if there is a rare occasion when your going to be late, they'll just ignore it, and like with me, it became a dept joke when I was late by 15mins once and was so annoyed about it
    This. Always try and aim to be early. If you get a reputation as being early/on time the odd day where you cba to get out of bed make up some story about a tramp throwing his shit around on your train which is why you're delayed.

Communicate communicate communicate. No one will think you're shit if you ask for clarification on what you're doing. Did I mention, communicate?

As earlier, don't partake in the work banter til you've been there a while. Had a WORK EXPERIENCE guy try to partake after just one day. Needless to say he won't be coming back here too soon.
  • Options
    Week 1 - Seek out instances where effective health and safety procedures are not being applied.
    Week 2 - buy a reclining sun lounger for the garden and book a doctors appointment (takes a fortnight these days)
    Week 3 - injure yourself at work
    Week 4 - visit doctors and appoint law firm to represent

Good luck CA, just be yourself and write up everything you think might be useful to know. If you work in an office with more than a couple of people in, sketch out a map of all the desk positions and whenever you get introduced to someone, go back to your plan and write their name against their desk. Best way to remember names.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    It's the Government, so there's no need to turn up early. In fact, you should aim to get there about 45 minutes late. Then, in the afternoon (this is the *really* important bit), start to pack up your things about an hour before "home time". If anyone asks, just say to them, "well there's no point being late both ends of the day, is there?"
  • Options

Week 1 - Seek out instances where effective health and safety procedures are not being applied.
    Week 2 - buy a reclining sun lounger for the garden and book a doctors appointment (takes a fortnight these days)
    Week 3 - injure yourself at work
    Week 4 - visit doctors and appoint law firm to represent

Good luck CA, just be yourself and write up everything you think might be useful to know. If you work in an office with more than a couple of people in, sketch out a map of all the desk positions and whenever you get introduced to someone, go back to your plan and write their name against their desk. Best way to remember names.

Good plan. I did that once but got lots of strange looks until i realised it was one of these hot desk offices!