Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

15 Players Released - confirmed list

Charlton can confirm that the following players will leave the club this summer, following the expiration of their current contracts.

•Tal Ben Haim
•Simon Church
•Chris Eagles
•Roger Johnson
•Lawrie Wilson
•Oguchi Onyewu
•Neil Etheridge
•Jack Munns
•Harry Osborne
•Harry Gerard
•Kadell Daniel
•Kurtis Cumberbatch
•Kieran Monlouis
•Rhys Browne
•Levander Pyke

http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/charlton-released-players-2015-2452676.aspx

Comments

• Options
    don't know enough about the 'yoof' to comment but no surprises among the senior players.
  • Options
    Still a bit surprised that we have let Ben Haim, Johnson and Eagles go. Thought they were all worth another year, but then again maybe it was a personal choice.
  • Options
    Thought Eagles may get another year, the rest are no surprise.

• Options
    blimey....we'll be like Blackpool at the start of last season unless RD gets his cheque book out.

I thought Eagles was worth keeping - didn't do much wrong and scored a couple of vital goals. Not sure if we are going to get better unless, as above, we are thinking about spending big.
  • Options
    eagles was ass,glad hes gone,shame about TBH tho
  • Options
    think this summer might be a bit like the summer before we won promotion... Lots of players leaving that we'd have quite like to have kept, but im sure they'll be replaced by some quality like that summer.
  • Options
    being an optimist, well you have to supporting Charlton, perhaps our management already have better players ready to replace the departing 1st teamers?
  • Options
    No surprises there and a good sign if the rumours of the club stepping up next season are true.
    I thought Ben Haim was part of a solid defense under Peeters but he played far less under Luzon.
    Next questions are whether Buyens and Bulot stay or go... And whether Lepoint goes off to STVV?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The only one Im surprised at is Johnson, Eagles was never good enough.
  • Options

Can't argue with that, i must be in the minority but i didn't rate Eagles.

I don't think you are. I thought he was ineffective and looked off the pace when ever I saw him play. It's not for no reason that he was without a club when he signed for Blackpool and they released him when his short term contract expired.
  • Options
    Interesting list as @kings hill addick writes, we can expect quite a few newcomers, especially in defence .. personally I hope that they are not all 'refugees' from Belgium or eastern Europe
  • Options
    Not shocked by any of the names on this list.

IMO I would not of offered Eagles or Ben Haim a new deal either.
  • Options
    Lepoint, Parzyszek, Ghoochannnejhad, Bulot, Buyens and Harriott to also leave IMO, either loaned out, loan not renewed or sold for a nominal fee
  • Options
    8 of the 15 are from the U21 Development squad.
    I guess that's fairly normal attrition.

I'm not really surprised of those who were senior 1st team squad members.

4 were on temporary contracts, another 2 couldn't establish themselves in the 1st team this season -and TBH leaving was the worst kept secret at the club.

Clearing the decks will make way for summer signings, hopefully to improve the quality of the 1st team.

Onwards and upwards.

• Options
    Diarra could be seen as an option to partner Gomez next season then, with Bikey as Diarra's back up. Surely?
  • Options
    Eagles was clearly not good enough.
  • Options
    TBH was definitely worth a new deal

Let's hope this is a good sign and we are getting better
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Other then his couple of goals I can't think of anything else Eagles brought to the team.
  • Options
    Would have liked to have kept Johnson and Wilson from that list...am afraid I know very little about the development squad so no opinion...
  • Options
    Releasing Eagles is more of a statement of intent I'm sure, good enough to play in the championship but not at the standard we are hoping for.
  • Options
    Don't think bikey will stay he was behind TBH and Johnson in Luzon pecking order. Think some of our players will be joining polish Pete for another season on loan in Belgium
  • Options
    I would have kept Johnson from that list.

Also, not that I ever saw them play but thought that Pyke and Gerard were supposed to be pretty good players, and in terms of the Network maybe they could have been moved to STVV, Jena or Alcoron for some senior game time to test them out? or is it just a case that we have better below them in the age ranges?
  • Options

Releasing Eagles is more of a statement of intent I'm sure, good enough to play in the championship but not at the standard we are hoping for.

I don't disagree but I think his wages to ability ratio might have been an issue as well.
  • Options
    Only one I'm that bothered about is TBH but even that isn't a surprise given it's been mentioned for weeks he was leaving.
  • Options
    On the balance of it I believe this to be the correct decision. Each player contributed in their own way, and Johnson in particular came in during a tough time and help us turn things around. However I have a good feeling that we will sign some quality players this season.

TBH for me was our player of the season during the first half of the season, and I would have liked to have kept him around, but I expect he wanted a move elsewhere. He is in the twilight of his career so fairplay to him.