Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Morgan Fox

Sorry if there is already a thread but I couldn't find one.

I've seen a lot of negative reports on Fox's performance last night but I think some people are being very harsh and possibly making him a scapegoat because of his age/inexperience.

I personally thought he didn't do too bad last night. He made a couple of errors but he wasn't the only one, Ben Haim for example who has been excellent all season had a terrible game. If that was Ben Haim's first game everyone would be saying he's not good enough.

Despite the errors I thought he made a couple of good tackles and interceptions, and going forward he put a number of good balls into the box and did more down the left flank than Bulot did all game.

I did watch on Sky though, I'm sure those at the game will quickly tell me to be quiet.

Comments

• He did look a bit of a headless chicken against Bolton I thought but didnt help the long ball he had to keep trying to get on the end of.

He also looked better at the end of last season when he broke through compared to this year, could be though that he's out of form a bit seeing he's not had much game time apart from cameos off the bench (i.e. he hasnt played for the U21s has he?)

Still he maybe wants to be careful as although he's playing in League Two, Tarieq Holmes-Dennis could be pushing for a place, especially if our injuries mount as Id be surprised if he isnt recalled (If he can be)
  • He had a poor game last night but that does not make him a bad player. Will be interesting to see how he reacts on Saturday if Wiggins is not fit
  • saw both him and Lennon at left back LAST season when Wiggins was out .. to me, Lennon looked the better prospect
  • Thought his delivery last night was fantastic, one or two loose touches and received a couple of hospital balls and everyone says he was awful. Honestly thought our worst player was bulot.
  • I made negative comments about him but specifically said I wasn't making him a scapegoat. People are allowed to comment on an individual players performance without it being seen as making them a scapegoat. He had a poor game as did others. But I made some positives about his performance as well. His passing last night was very poor but he pulled off a couple of great tackles. He will improve with guidance
  • Nowhere near as bad as some made out. Wasn't at fault for either of the first two goals which cost the game.

To me, his loan time out was too short. He simply needs to get more game time at a lower level to find his feet on a week in week out basis.
  • I didn't think he did too badly. Yes he made a couple of errors but none cost us a goal and there were worse than him out there.
  • edited October 2014
    Silly beard makes him look an extra from "witness"
  • Makes Leighton Baines look like Brad Pitt... Thought he did ok though
  • Sponsored links:

• Preferred Harry Lennon as a cover for wiggins ... Looked more dependable
  • No worse than anyone else.
  • Yes I thought he wasn't that bad but from where I was stood last night saw Jacko absolutely slaughter him for bad positioning towards the end of the first half. Took an absolute coating!!
  • Thought he looked uncomfortable last night but that doesn't mean he's not up to it, just had an off night along with a few others.
  • He done well towards the end of last season, struggled a bit last night but the whole defence had probably their worst game of the season.
  • Please watch him for Fulhams first two goals. His marking/tracking and covering was atrocious last night
  • Please watch him for Fulhams first two goals. His marking/tracking and covering was atrocious last night

Bikey had a shocker first 20 mins and no ones picked up on it. Look at his marking for the first and second. Solly also had a moment where he miskicked into touch, ditto Wilson. It seems like every time some one we haven't seen much of makes a mistake we're on them like nothing else.
  • Poor lad. What do supporters expect? Support him and encourage him and he might surprise you all! He's just a kid thrown in at a level where he's not comfortable. Ggrrrrrr!
  • Looking again, what the hell was Bikey doing for the second?! Jesus!

I have

For the first its simply down to some poor loose play from Solly and unfortunately Parker reacting superbly and driving forward with it and not allowing us time to switch from possession shape to defensive shape.
    McCormack was Bikey's man but allowed himself to be drawn to the ball (and virtually on top of Ben Haim). Fox imo actually reacts well to put pressure on McCormack and provide a defensive position without giving away a pen. Fox's covering position actually forced Mc to play a behind the gameline cross without even looking up, and it was sods law that went straight to Parker.

For the second he is the free defender covering the back post space behind Bikey. Bikey should be marking Rodallega, but ends up taking a line shape position behind Ben Haim and marking no one. Fox comes over to cover the player (Rodallega) that Bikey has lost, and you can see Fox is aware of the poor central position (where neither Ben Haim or Bikey have Rodallega or McCormack) as you see him gesturing to point out Mc with his left arm. He then reacts first to attempt to close the space when McCormack has the freedom of the box to strike, exactly what he should do, which would mean sacrificing his cover of Bikey with Rodallega. .

You are actually criticising him here for trying to cover and react to others poor defending. The real problem was the earlier phase when Wilson was slow to react to the Fulham left midfielder peeling wide. This left Solly too far a gap to bridge to put any real pressure on the cross.

No problem if you don't rate him, but I don't think those criticisms are valid. If you've still got it on tape please watch it again and break down the phases. Only valid criticism of the first imo is why he was so high and wide when we were still in a defensive position despite having possession, but seeing as he would have been stood next to Peeters at the time, I'm pretty sure if he didn't want him there, he wouldn't have been there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Everyone (including Fox) was in utter disarray for the first twenty minutes.

Fox was actually ok at times going forward... Do agree he needs more games though.
  • The radio commentator seemed to think he was a victim of zonal marking with no one closing Parker down. I would love to hear your views please.
  • Bikey was covering Ben haims man cos Ben Haim was covering sollys man. Solly had a shocking game too. But this threads about Morgan fox..

I don't not rate him, but yesterday his marking was atrocious.
  • Nowhere near as bad as some made out. Wasn't at fault for either of the first two goals which cost the game.

To me, his loan time out was too short. He simply needs to get more game time at a lower level to find his feet on a week in week out basis.

Agree with the 2nd point in that he hasn't really had enough sustained game time to be able to come in and look like part of the furniture.

For me he did give the ball away for the 2nd goal, but you could argue that like Solly for the first (other players, ie JJ, on the first goal) could've done more.

I think he will go onto be a decent player with getting a run of games, but for me Wiggins is still our best choice there.

Def one got a future with us though I hope
  • He had a poor game but then so do all players, i marked him as our weakest performance last night, maybe too harshly but i still think he will be a good player for us though, as he has been in past games.
  • edited October 2014
    I said on the marking thread that this is the danger versus opportunity of playing youngsters. They can be inconsistent.

I think maybe the more experienced Wiggins might have better placed for the goals last night .However, I also agree believe that Morgan should not be singled out for criticism. The problem when we analyse it is who should be marking who ? Zonal versus man to man. He does remind me a bit of Grant Basey in that he possibly does not have the pace of Evina or Wiggins and I am not sure that as a result left back is his best position . Maybe centre back ?

I liked him a lot in the U18's and U21's and was one of those who called for his introduction last season . I agree with AFKA that it is shame that he only had a month at Notts County last season although he did play 7 games for them during the busy Christmas period whilst Alan Sheehan recovered from his injury .I felt Fulham's movement up front made us look vulnerable at the back last night which affected Morgan. To be fair he also did make some vital interventions later on.

The left back position is going to be hotly contested in the future with Harry Lennon , Kadel Daniel ,Tareiq Holmes-Dennis and Archie Edwards all competing for the berth . Harry hasn't played much for Cambridge and can't be recalled until January ( although he is still able to play for the U21's). Tareiq is preforming well for Oxford and receiving rave reviews. Could he return after his months loan and be in contention for the left back slot or would it be better to leave him playing regularly for Oxford ? After the initial month we would have a 24 hour recall clause.

Not sure I understand zonal marking but was wrong side of Mac for 1st and not in picture for 2nd. 3rd was Morro error but where was he for player on right of our box? Is it a coincidence that our normally rock solid defence was all over shop? Seems to lack composure but young. Should be on loan at lower level. Gomes has shown real talent can make the step up and THD/Edwards have long been touted to have it.

Have to disagree was at the game and have watched it back on tv the 1st goal Charlton were breaking out from right side of field and Fox made a run anticipating a deep cross however Solly and Jacko lost possession and Fulham attacked with a cross to McCormack this did make Fox appear to be out of position and in fairness he did well to get back and stop McCormack taking a shot and without conceding a pen but McC did manage a cross into the box where were our 2 CB's ??
  • cabbles said:

Nowhere near as bad as some made out. Wasn't at fault for either of the first two goals which cost the game.

Agree with the 2nd point in that he hasn't really had enough sustained game time to be able to come in and look like part of the furniture.

For me he did give the ball away for the 2nd goal, but you could argue that like Solly for the first (other players, ie JJ, on the first goal) could've done more.

I think he will go onto be a decent player with getting a run of games, but for me Wiggins is still our best choice there.

Def one got a future with us though I hope
    Re 2nd goal he did give the ball away sloppy pass didn't find Cousins who maybe could've done more ? but actually watching it back Charlton regained possession and then lost it again the ball comes in from left of field and TBH unfortunately doesn't get it away, Bikay is slow to react and doesn't get out to McC who according to zonal marking is surely his responsibility so therefore Fox has to leave his man and try to go to McC
    i don't think Wiggins or any of the others would have done any better in that situation our Central defence was to open