Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wonga

Just listening to the story of a student - a teenager, who has since taken a part-time job - who has borrowed £400 from Wonga, has paid back £1,300 and still owes £1,500.

I cannot see any reason why these "pay-day loan" companies should be allowed to stay in business without a massive change in the law preventing them from charging more than about 20% APR. At the very least, they should be prevented from making a profit from customers who fail to pay - that way they will only lend to people who can afford it.

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Morally I am in complete agreement with you.

Cynical exploitation of the financially vulnerable leaves a very nasty taste.

Commercially there is an argument that borrowers or would be borrowers should read the terms and conditions.
  • Options
    The poor will always pay more than they can afford and the most.
    I hate these companies with a passion but money is the name of the game in this world.
  • Options
    If they didnt have a job in the first place I doubt they were entirely honest in their application?

If they lied to get money they couldnt afford to pay back then tough shit really.
  • Options

If they didnt have a job in the first place I doubt they were entirely honest in their application?

If they lied to get money they couldnt afford to pay back then tough shit really.

He didn't have a job; he told them; yet they still agreed to loan him the money. This kind of money-grubbing exploitation shouldn't be acceptable.

• Options
    Chizz said:

He didn't have a job; he told them; yet they still agreed to loan him the money. This kind of money-grubbing exploitation shouldn't be acceptable.

In that case then it's ridiculous that they were allowed to lend to him!
  • Options

Chizz said:

In that case then it's ridiculous that they were allowed to lend to him!
    And that is why Wonga are having to wipe off hundreds of millions of so called monies owed:

bbc.co.uk/news/business-29457044

No fact finds. They prey on those with bad credit history and who will also more than likely fail any affordability test.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Chizz said:

Wonga have in fact just written off hundreds of thousands of loans they made to people that they did not adequately check for ability to repay. I do get annoyed though with attitudes like this. Sure, Wonga should not have lent someone in that situation money but equally someone in that situation should not have applied for a bloody loan they couldn't repay. They are just as much, if not more, to blame as Wonga.

• Options
    Rizzo said:

Chizz said:

Wonga have in fact just written off hundreds of thousands of loans they made to people that they did not adequately check for ability to repay. I do get annoyed though with attitudes like this. Sure, Wonga should not have lent someone in that situation money but equally someone in that situation should not have applied for a bloody loan they couldn't repay. They are just as much, if not more, to blame as Wonga.

But some people are desperate as the only option can be debt collectors. Others just need protection from themselves which is why there are affordability tests.

It's easy to say for some to say "I can afford three quid a day, it's only a pint after all" but the reality is that that pint still gets bought. And consequently the hundred pound a month repayment is anything but affordable.

• Options

Rizzo said:

Chizz said:

But some people are desperate as the only option can be debt collectors. Others just need protection from themselves which is why there are affordability tests.

It's easy to say for some to say "I can afford three quid a day, it's only a pint after all" but the reality is that that pint still gets bought. And consequently the hundred pound a month repayment is anything but affordable.

I think it's simple to sort out, however, with a law that just states it's unlawful for a company to make profit out of a loanee who fails to make payments. In one fell swoop, it would prevent these despicable companies from lending to people unless they are totally sure that their repayments are going to be made, on-time and in full.
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

Chizz said:

No doubt a lot of these people will have kids and will do anything to feed them, so I can understand why people take them out and can't pay back. Desperate times lead to desperate measures.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    a lot of the time is to pay for a new 50 inch plasma.
    Or they can't be bothered saving.

Stop with the victim mentality.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Rizzo said:

Chizz said:

I think it's simple to sort out, however, with a law that just states it's unlawful for a company to make profit out of a loanee who fails to make payments. In one fell swoop, it would prevent these despicable companies from lending to people unless they are totally sure that their repayments are going to be made, on-time and in full.
    And the loan sharks rejoiced...

• Options
    While the FSA, as was, now the FCA has, quite rightly been in receipt of a lot of flack, it's clear it is going to make a much better job of regulating this industry than the Office of Fair Trading ever did. It is no surprise that the OFT is now defunct and quite rightly so. It was a hopeless organisation with hopeless staff hamstrung by hopeless legislation.

• Options
    edited October 2014

Wonga is 100% the culprit

So someone who borrows money they know they can never repay, in full knowledge of the interest rates and penalties, is entirely blameless? Utter bullshit!

• Options
    Chizz said:

I cannot see any reason why these "pay-day loan" companies should be allowed to stay in business without a massive change in the law preventing them from charging more than about 20% APR. At the very least, they should be prevented from making a profit from customers who fail to pay - that way they will only lend to people who can afford it.

I have bolded the pertinent parts.

They are designed to be used for short term use, therefore using the APR as an example of how expensive they are isn't always that clear. I don't have a problem with payday companies operating, I'm sure a lot of people find them useful. However, there does need to be tighter regulation. They should not be allowed to exploit and in some cases intimidate customers who struggle to pay.

However, the people that use them also have to take some responsibility. It can't all just be blamed on someone else. Personally if I'm entering into any contract, be it financial or otherwise I'll make sure I read as thoroughly as possible so I know the details. If I don't agree with the terms, you know what, I won't sign it. The charges are made quite clear to people from the outset. I think there needs to be some shared responsibility here.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

a lot of the time is to pay for a new 50 inch plasma.
    Or they can't be bothered saving.

Stop with the victim mentality.

Is this a fact supported by evidence or is this conjecture ? Pay day loans are scummy most owned ultimately by hedge funds. Church of England spoke out agaisnt them but hey ho a week later it is revealed that COE had shares in one of them. Rich get richer whilst the poor..............
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Chizz said:

They are designed to be used for short term use, therefore using the APR as an example of how expensive they are isn't always that clear. I don't have a problem with payday companies operating, I'm sure a lot of people find them useful. However, there does need to be tighter regulation. They should not be allowed to exploit and in some cases intimidate customers who struggle to pay.

However, the people that use them also have to take some responsibility. It can't all just be blamed on someone else. Personally if I'm entering into any contract, be it financial or otherwise I'll make sure I read as thoroughly as possible so I know the details. If I don't agree with the terms, you know what, I won't sign it. The charges are made quite clear to people from the outset. I think there needs to be some shared responsibility here.
    APR is just a means of comparing one interest rate with another. So, for instance an APR of 20% is much cheaper than the APR that Wonga advertise on the home page of their website, which is an eye-watering 5,853%. It would be entirely possible to draft a law which uses any other type of interest rate, but APR is a typical measure.

I don't have a problem with "payday" loan companies. I do have a problem with them charging the sky-high fees that they do. It should not be legal for a company to extort money in this way. Its usury.

Canada and Japan have both found ways to legislate against it. In Canada, it's not legal to charge more than 60% per annum; in Japan, the figure is much lower still. We should do something similar.

The knee-jerk reaction is "that'll just lead people to go to loan sharks instead". Well, "loan shark" might be a pretty good description of some of these companies anyway. And a law would make it illegal in all cases, not just the "reputable" firms.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

The knee-jerk reaction is "that'll just lead people to go to loan sharks instead". Well, "loan shark" might be a pretty good description of some of these companies anyway. And a law would make it illegal in all cases, not just the "reputable" firms.

I'm fairly sure that a loan shark won't actually care if there's a law against it. Nor will the lads he sends round to break your legs when you don't pay.

• Options
    Rizzo said:

Chizz said:

I'm fairly sure that a loan shark won't actually care if there's a law against it. Nor will the lads he sends round to break your legs when you don't pay.

So, we shouldn't bother with a law, simply because some people might break it?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:

Rizzo said:

Chizz said:

No, I'm saying that dismissing the 'knee-jerk' reaction with that argument is pretty silly.

• Options
    Rizzo said:

Chizz said:

Rizzo said:

Chizz said:

No, I'm saying that dismissing the 'knee-jerk' reaction with that argument is pretty silly.

So we should pass a law like that then?
  • Options
    Chizz said:

colthe3rd said:

Chizz said:

APR is just a means of comparing one interest rate with another. So, for instance an APR of 20% is much cheaper than the APR that Wonga advertise on the home page of their website, which is an eye-watering 5,853%. It would be entirely possible to draft a law which uses any other type of interest rate, but APR is a typical measure.

I don't have a problem with "payday" loan companies. I do have a problem with them charging the sky-high fees that they do. It should not be legal for a company to extort money in this way. Its usury.

But it's only "eye watering" because a short term loan's interest is being quoted as an annual loan. Now, say I wanted to borrow £100 for some emergency I had and I don't get paid for 2 weeks. That would be £120 I paid back. £20 doesn't seem too unreasonable really. But quote it as you can borrow £100 with an APR of 5000%. Which sounds worse?
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Rizzo said:

Chizz said:

Rizzo said:

Chizz said:

Not necessarily. If you restrict the interest rate that a company can charge to a point where that company will not be profitable then the company will go away. And then the people who are in need of the money will go elsewhere. Hence the 'knee-jerk' argument that legislation will simply move business away from regulated firms (however distasteful you may find them) into an unregulated and far more dangerous economy where the response to a failure to pay will not be a letter from a (fake) law firm.

• Options
    Kneecap Finance.
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

Chizz said:

Rizzo said:

Chizz said:

Rizzo said:

Chizz said:

Not necessarily. If you restrict the interest rate that a company can charge to a point where that company will not be profitable then the company will go away. And then the people who are in need of the money will go elsewhere. Hence the 'knee-jerk' argument that legislation will simply move business away from regulated firms (however distasteful you may find them) into an unregulated and far more dangerous economy where the response to a failure to pay will not be a letter from a (fake) law firm.

Then it's simply finding a rate at which the lender can make a healthy profit when lending responsibly, ie to those people who are in a position to repay. And banning lenders from profiteering when users fail to pay.
  • Options
    and next we can let off crack head muggers who cant afford their next hit.
  • Options
    But who decides if the people can't pay versus those people who just choose not to pay?

I think better regulation will help - but it's never going to please everyone.

The person taking out the loan does need to accept a certain amount of responsibility.
  • Options
    buyer beware is what I say.

there are terms & conditions that show the APR - if you don't like it then don't borrow the money.

no good carping about it after the event - no one twisted their arm to fill out the application form did they.

and before anyone says that the borrowers are on the breadline & need the money to survive then I suggest you visit their homes & see the latest flat screen TV's they have & the X-boxes, Wii's etc that are in the kids bedrooms & then go to the slums of India, Rio etc to see what REAL poverty is !!!
  • Options
    Chizz said:

colthe3rd said:

Chizz said:

Canada and Japan have both found ways to legislate against it. In Canada, it's not legal to charge more than 60% per annum; in Japan, the figure is much lower still. We should do something similar.

It's still in consultation but there is indeed likely to be a "cap" -100%. This came out just three months after the FCA took on responsibility for the area, which by regulation standards is warp speed.
    Of interest is that the cap covers not just the headline interest rate but also any add-on admin fees and the like. fca.org.uk/news/cp14-10-proposals-for-a-price-cap-on-high-cost-short-term-credit
    The full document, for those so inclined is here: fca.org.uk/your-fca/documents/consultation-papers/cp14-10