Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

George Howard Help

edited May 2014 in General Charlton
The ex CAFC goalkeeper (now Gillingham) has been involved in a car accident whilst on holiday in South Africa. He was on holiday along with Morgan Fox & Joe Piggott.

George is in a critical condition, and is currently in intensive care. Close friends have set up the link below. Any help is greatly appreciated;

http://www.gofundme.com/9ktsy0

Comments

• Done keep fighting George

This deserves a sticky
  • Not sure how to do a sticky NLA?

how do I do it?
  • There is nothing in the mainstream press on this and the wording itself (£15,000 per day) just rings me alarm bells. Is there any external verification of this, please in order to protect us from another Stevie Jones? I'm not saying that this isn't what it is but need extra info please? Hope you won't be offended? Ta.

• Awful news - the £15k a day hit me as well, incredible amount of money needed to keep somebody alive.

Devastating news.
  • The insurance company has agreed to pay his costs all proceeds to his rehab
  • Both Joe Pigott and Morgan Fox have posted a statement on twitter about it... So thankfully they're both okay

Thoughts are definitely with George Howard though

pic.twitter.com/04Wm5Qc5LX

— Morgan Fox (@MA_Fox) May 28, 2014
  • Thoughts are with this young man & we can only hope that he fights his way back to a full recovery.

Am also thinking of Morgan & Joe who must be traumatised by this horrific accident.

Keep the faith, lads.
  • Oh my god, just saw this come up on the club's official facebook page. Didn't know morgan and joe were with him. Horrible for his parents and he seems like a mega popular and likeable bloke. Get well soon George!!
  • All best wishes to George for a full recovery, and thoughts with Morgan and Joe too.
  • Sponsored links:

• http://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/news/ex-gills-keeper-in-critical-condition-17810/

Sounds horrendous, but a bit of good news in that piece, that the swelling on the brain has gone down. Wish him all the best and thoughts are with him and his family.
  • Wot is the website asking for donations http://www.gofundme.com/9ktsy0 which says 'Due to unforseen circumstances the insurance company are refusing to pay the heavily rising costs. Each day George is fighting it is cosingt his family close to £15,000 per day. ' There is a link to it on the OS - yet the Pig and MF say the rumours are false. Shall I check with colleagues as Consular will be aware. Is that a bogus site re raising funds?
  • Anyone know where in SA it happened?
  • Will find out tomorrow
  • I've just seen the fundraising site says the insurance company are paying out and the funds will be used for rehabilitation and to help his parents stay with him in SA. Will find out more in the morning and post what I can
  • The club spoke with someone out there this morning. Both Morgan and Joe are absolutely fine.
    The Go Fund Me page was set up initially as the insurance company refused to pay out. That has now changed so the money is going to George's rehabilition and to keep his parents out there by his side.
  • Well said, nla & ditto from me & Mr F.

• Thoughts are with this young man & we can only hope that he fights his way back to a full recovery.

Am also thinking of Morgan & Joe who must be traumatised by this horrific accident.

Keep the faith, lads.

My thoughts and wishes with the lad.
  • Sponsored links:

Western Cape apparently, so likely in a Cape Town Hospital. In my experience South African doctors are excellent and some of the best I've ever worked with. He's in good hands, prayers with him and all those around him.

Western Cape apparently, so likely in a Cape Town Hospital. In my experience South African doctors are excellent and some of the best I've ever worked with. He's in good hands, prayers with him and all those around him.
    Ahem, i lived in CT for 4 years, and whilst i dont want to put a downer on it, most of the 'excellent' SA doctors have gone to live in Oz or over here.Lets hope for George he is in a decent Medical Aid Hospital and not the SA equiv of NHS- if they have sorted the Insurance out then generally he will be in a Medical AId Hospital.

I was in CT last weekend too - anybody have any further details of where in Cape Town?

• That may well be the case Mr President. Lets hope he's in a good facility.
  • Update posted on the donation site today states that George has had a good night & although still in intensive care and is in a stable condition.

We are asked to keep donations coming in ( currently at £8,455) and thanks are expressed for all donations & support.

A fundraising football match has been arranged on Sunday 8th June at Coldharbour Leisure Centre,Chaphal Farm Rd, Eltham, SE9 3Lx ( 1.30pm) A Kent Pro X1 will play A George Howard Kent League X1and we are requested to show our support for George & his family by attending .

Let's hope those progress reports keep coming & that this brave young man continues back to full health.
  • One thing i dont understand is that, apparently, Joe Pigott was the driver of the car, however, he is only 20 years old - car hire companies state that you have to be 21 or older before you can hire a car.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/ex-charlton-athletic-goalkeeper-fights-for-life-after-south-africa-car-crash-9447083.html
  • Charity game for him being held Sunday 8th June
    http://www.kentishfootball.co.uk/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=9949&Itemid=42
    Harriott and Shelvey will be playing
  • One thing i dont understand is that, apparently, Joe Pigott was the driver of the car, however, he is only 20 years old - car hire companies state that you have to be 21 or older before you can hire a car.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/ex-charlton-athletic-goalkeeper-fights-for-life-after-south-africa-car-crash-9447083.html

Are you sure it was Joe, as he was on holiday with Joe's parents and it said Mr Pigott was driving could be his dad.
  • madadd said:

One thing i dont understand is that, apparently, Joe Pigott was the driver of the car, however, he is only 20 years old - car hire companies state that you have to be 21 or older before you can hire a car.

There is a lot of speculation on this thread when we should all be concerned with George making a speedy recovery.
    Just to clear a few things up the incident happened in another region a few hours East of Cape Town the vehicle in which they were driving is a privately owned vehicle of the Piggot family which Joe is insured to drive and finally George is indeed being cared for in a top private hospital facility and the insurance company are covering all medical costs. Going forwards I am not sure what support they will provide during any rehabilitation therefore the fund is very worthy. A lot of the press reports are inaccurate as they all scramble for a newsworthy story and embellish the events.
    Surely our thoughts should be for George's well being and supporting his family during this time while he is recovering.
    I'm not having a go at you personally Mr P I just don't think the insistent needs pulling apart when we should be thinking about George

I agree, and of course, wish George the very best and a very speedy recovery.
  • Has anyone got any up-to-date news on the poor lad