Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Impressive Poyet

Diego Poyet's emergence at Charlton has reportedly led to a host of top European clubs tracking the young midfielder.
But is he worthy of such attention and could he be set to follow in his father's footsteps and play on the biggest stage? Ryan Parrish takes a closer look...

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11096/9268597/impressive-poyet

Nice to see this kind of coverage for one of our own players.

Comments

• Options
    Certainly the most accurate article about Charlton I've read for a while
  • Options
    "Inter Milan, Arsenal, Tottenham and West Ham United"

Don't get how they can mention them in the same vein as the others.
  • Options
    Interesting article. Fantastic player - a joy to watch - I will enjoy watching him until the end of this season!
  • Options
    Wish it had come out after he had signed a contract :-(
  • Options
    boggzy said:

Interesting article. Fantastic player - a joy to watch - I will enjoy watching him until the end of this season!

Agree he is a joy to watch, just always has so much time on the ball, reminds me of Zheng Zhi and Murphy in that regard. Really hope we can stay up and persuade him to stay another year, seems like a good lad as well.

• Options
    He's too good for us,
    He's too good for u-us,
    Diego Poyet,
    He's too good for us.

Sad but probably true.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

"Inter Milan, Arsenal, Tottenham and West Ham United"

Don't get how they can mention them in the same vein as the others.

I thought it was a well known 'fact' that West Ham won the world cup for England....... at least that is what my West ham mates have alway's told me!

• Options
    What a delight to read a report that has been well researched.
    If only more journalists put this kind of effort in to
  • Options
    The only hope we have of keeping him is if Barca's interest is actually real and he signs a deal with us allowing him to go there once their transfer ban is over. If Barca don't actually want him then he is a gonner
  • Options
    I think we can all safely say Barcelona won't be singing Diego Poyet this Summer. If they do I will eat my proverbial hat.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He is gone. Only thing is we might be able to get him to sign a "contract" and we get a pay day out of it-------anyone offers more than 2 mill etc etc he can go ----they will he and his agent will know that.
  • Options
    http://youtu.be/OlKaVFqxERk oooo diego please don't gooo!!!
  • Options
    The interest from Barcelona is interest from Barcelona b, their reserve team that play in the second tier of Spanish football. Not a lot of players from that side go on to play for the first team and they tend to sign 18-22 year olds, think of it like a lot of UK clubs u21 sides. So in a way it's probably something his agent has blown out of proportion to get other people interested, charlton to up their offer etc.
  • Options
    If you leave us now you take away the heart of our midfield,
    Oooo Diego please don't go,
    Oooo god I just want you to stay
  • Options
    19 | Midfielder | Charlton Athletic | English

Article taken from twitter acc back page football

It has been an abysmal season for Charlton Athletic. Losing their manager and probably their best player in Yann Kermorgant has angered many, with new owner Roland Duchtalect seemingly determined on turning Charlton into a Standard Liege feeder club. However, in the midfield there has been a real shining beacon of hope in the form of Diego Poyet.

The son of Gus, Poyet arrived on the scene in January at the age of eighteen and hasn’t missed a game since, providing much-needed stability in front of a back four who - until his emergence - had registered just five clean sheets in 27 games. His stats may not flatter him greatly, with no goals or assists, but his stand out performances – including three-man of the match accolades from the Charlton official website have caught the eye of many, with Chelsea and Arsenal said to be amongst his potential suitors.

I was at the Valley on Good Friday to get a first hand account of what all the fuss has been about and it was clear within ten minutes exactly what he offers to the side. Operating not only as a rock in front of the back four, he is comparable to Morgan Schneiderlin at Southampton in the way he helps break down the play and turns defence into attack. He has won 54 tackles this season - an average of over three a match, drawing 26 fouls and completing 808 passes, one hundred more than any other Charlton player during this time. Compare that to Schneiderlin, who falls just outside the top ten in the Premier League for passes completed and boasts an impressive pass accuracy of 89% whilst having completed the fifth highest number of tackles in the league and it is clear to see where the similarities in their games lie.

However, Poyet also has something else on his side – his physique. Standing at 6ft 2in and with the strength to match, he not only has the technical ability to become a world-class player, but also the natural attributes to succeed in his holding midfield role. He has the unlearnable skill of being able to bully players off the ball in the middle of the park, akin to Yaya Toure at Manchester City (although, obviously not at the same level) and it is this which could differentiate him from a talented but limited – and ultimately Championship level player – into a Premier League sensation, and a potential title winner if the right clubs come in for him.

The main weakness in his game is probably his decision-making, and linked in with that his general concentration. He has already accumulated three yellow cards in his fifteen games and committed one error which led to a goal – a failed take on in the midfield. Indeed, having attempted seven take ons in the fifteen games he has been unsuccessful in three – which would undoubtedly be a slight worry for the defence knowing that at any moment there is near enough a 50/50 chance that Poyet will lose the ball if he is to take a man on. However, as is clear from players in all positions on the pitch, from Daniel Sturridge to Wojcech Szczesny, good decision-making is an attribute which comes later in a player’s career and for many world-class players is one of the last ones to develop.

If he can cut out these momentary lapses of concentration, which you would fully expect him to do considering he is only eighteen, then he will undoubtedly go far as near enough a complete midfielder. It is a crucial time for him now as he may be better off continuing at Charlton for at least one more season (providing they are to scrape Championship survival) but the demand for his signature from a host of Premier League clubs will undoubtedly tempt him to move at a stage which might be a little too early.

His best hope is that Gus drills it into him to stay put and hold tight until he is developed enough and ready to be seriously challenging for a Premier League starting place, an event which based on current evidence should be no more than a year or two away.
  • Options
    we can only hope
  • Options
    Nobody mentions his pace - or lack of it. He is quite slow, which is why I don't think he is ready for the Premier League yet. He has a good engine, but like Jackson, cannot deal with players when they simply run past him other than to foul them. I still think he is great, and love him to death, but I think we all (including Gus and Diego) know that he could do with a full season in Charlton's first team before anyone should really be comparing him to Yaya Toure or even Morgan Schneiderlin and mentioning "world-class" in the same sentence. Come on Diego - sign a new contract at CAFC!
  • Options
    is he 6'2? doesnt look it
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pedro45 said:

Nobody mentions his pace - or lack of it. He is quite slow, which is why I don't think he is ready for the Premier League yet. He has a good engine, but like Jackson, cannot deal with players when they simply run past him other than to foul them. I still think he is great, and love him to death, but I think we all (including Gus and Diego) know that he could do with a full season in Charlton's first team before anyone should really be comparing him to Yaya Toure or even Morgan Schneiderlin and mentioning "world-class" in the same sentence. Come on Diego - sign a new contract at CAFC!

His pace won't be so much of an issue in that holding role as he develops. It'll stop him from being a runaway train like Yaya but if you look at Mertesacker you can see how a player without pace can still compete at the top. Merte is the slowest man on the planet but the first five yards are in his head due to his superb positioning and reading of the game. The more Diego plays the less he'll allow himself to be in a position where a player with pace can get by him. Hopefully he can develop that ability with us
  • Options
    Never 6 ft 2? And I wouldn't say his physical strength particularly stands out, bullying players off the ball, really?

I'd say his decision making is one of his strengths. Rarely gives the ball away and reads the game well, he doesn't look like an 18/19 having his first experience of first team football. A central midfielder isn't going to stand out like he has if he's making a lot of mistakes.

I'd call a "complete midfielder" one that scores and creates goals, as well as defending well. Not really that type of player is he, even if he does start getting the odd goal.
  • Options
    sounds like they've combined jordan cousins and diego poyet in that article
  • Options
    NugNug
    edited April 2014
    Scoham said:

Never 6 ft 2? And I wouldn't say his physical strength particularly stands out, bullying players off the ball, really?

I'd say his decision making is one of his strengths. Rarely gives the ball away and reads the game well, he doesn't look like an 18/19 having his first experience of first team football. A central midfielder isn't going to stand out like he has if he's making a lot of mistakes.

I'd call a "complete midfielder" one that scores and creates goals, as well as defending well. Not really that type of player is he, even if he does start getting the odd goal.

Agree with all that, but add that I think as he gets more experienced I think he will start to deliver more killer passes. Seen a couple already that haven't quite come off but I think he sees runs that forwards make, trouble is....you know the rest! Yaya Toure? Couldn't be more different.
  • Options
    What's a 'take on'?
  • Options

What's a 'take on'?

As in "taking on the full-back". it means attempting to get past someone I think.
  • Options
    He is about 6'1 - ish. Im 6'1 and he was about the same size as me when I saw him at Bluewater
  • Options
    Bubble said:

is he 6'2? doesnt look it

He is taller than some think, but pretty skinny I think so you don't actually realise! Most taller players seem to be proportionately bulked up but our Diego is a mere stripling yet, once he fills out a little he will have the physicality he is still growing into I believe.
  • Options
    Nug said:

Scoham said:

Agree with all that, but add that I think as he gets more experienced I think he will start to deliver more killer passes. Seen a couple already that haven't quite come off but I think he sees runs that forwards make, trouble is....you know the rest! Yaya Toure? Couldn't be more different.
    I think he'd pick out more killer passes just by playing in a better team. We have a hard working team but we're not great when it comes to pace and movement off the ball.
  • Options
    Good player that he is, I wonder if he would be getting so much attention if he wasn't Gus' son. After all, this is Charlton.