Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Calling all Oasis fans

Comments

• Options
    Any idea on ticket price for the o2? Any one have the link for Friday morning?
  • Options

Really does make me laugh when people say Oasis were shit, overrated etc etc. Just makes you sound like a stuck up idiot IMO. No one can deny that Definitely Maybe is one of the greatest albums of all time. No one can deny that Liam was one of the greatest frontmen of all time. No one can deny that Noel is one of the greatest songwriters to come out of the UK.

very good album, one of the greatest of all time? Nahh. Liam greatest front men of all time? Not that lairy geezer, how about Jagger, Morrison, Mercury, Cobain, Lennon/Mccartney to name a few, Liam isn't even in their league mate.

Noel's a very good songwriter... but, again, is he in the same league as Lennon/McCartney? Not on your nelly.

Oasis weren't shit, they were a very good band and they were huge when they were extremely good (in the 90s) but being one of the greatest bands ever is a bit OTT and is why people (like me) say Oasis were overrated, because people call them one of the greatest ever, which they weren't.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

If we're talking just UK bands, then they are absolutely in that top 10 bracket based on popularity alone. Since Queen, there hasn't been a rock band out of this country as big as them, so thats around 30 odd years.

You don't have to be in the league of Lennon/McCartney to be great. They were in a league of their own and always will be.

If you're of a certain age (say 21 to 35), Oasis are the biggest UK band of your generation. They may not be the 'best' in terms of ability. But in terms of sheer volume of recognizable hits, the timing, influence and personality - absolutely they are a 'legendary' band.

they never broke america, that's why they can never be in the league of "legendary" imo
  • Options
    Spot on Tom.

The breaking america thing....little overated considering, I dont know, a cheesy crap manufactured band in One Direction have "that" on their CV in bold.

• Options
    In the words of one Mr Shaun William Ryder "Mike and Bernie Winters never made it in America"
  • Options
    buckshee said:

In the words of one Mr Shaun William Ryder "Mike and Bernie Winters never made it in America"

True, and poor Bernie had no chance of breaking America when Schnorbitz came along.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Tom: If you are 21-35 they are the biggest band of your generation?

You'd have been a toddler when they were in their prime if you're 21.
    or am i misunderstanding... did you mean if you were 21-35 when they were in their prime?
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Noel presale link is here... (tickets for O2 still showing as available) http://noelgallagher.seetickets.com/tour/noel-gallagher-s-high-flying-birds/?pre=nghfb&src=noelpresale
  • Options
    Thanks for the link, will be all over this first thing in the morning !
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Curb_It said:

or am i misunderstanding... did you mean if you were 21-35 when they were in their prime?

I meant that any currently of the age 21-35 would have had them as the biggest band of their generation. 21 may be a bit young but Oasis were still the biggest band going after Morning Glory and up until the mid 2000s. I'm 27 and didn't get into them until about 2003.

Thinking about it, the age range is probably wider and stretches up to anyone in their late thirties/early forties.
  • Options
    You do need to widen your age range. I'm 45 and i was at knebwroth in 96 and I certainly wasnt the youngest there.
    Not that those older than me would agree that they were the biggest band of their generation.
  • Options
    garfield said:

Thanks for the link, will be all over this first thing in the morning !

It's the presale link which went live yesterday so you should be able to get tickets now (before they go on general sale tomorrow)!

Although there are only a certain number of pre-sale tickets released so that particular link may sell out between now and the morning
  • Options
    Bcaddick said:

What do you think of "Good to be free" uie2?

Great song! For me there best live song
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

Spot on Tom.

The breaking america thing....little overated considering, I dont know, a cheesy crap manufactured band in One Direction have "that" on their CV in bold.

So if Oasis couldn't even do that, surely it makes them worse? : )
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Curb_It said:

I meant that any currently of the age 21-35 would have had them as the biggest band of their generation. 21 may be a bit young but Oasis were still the biggest band going after Morning Glory and up until the mid 2000s. I'm 27 and didn't get into them until about 2003.

Thinking about it, the age range is probably wider and stretches up to anyone in their late thirties/early forties.
    Push the age range up five years at the bottom end, even 23 is stretching it too far. As a 21 (22 in two days) year old, I didn't first listen to Oasis. I first got in via the Strokes, Franz Ferdinand, Kasabian etc. which is arguably the next generation on from the Gallaghers.

No doubt they were a hugely successful UK band through the '90s and - even living on their past success - into the 21st century, but their fans do have a habit of overstating things a bit IMO.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That would take you a while
  • Options
    "whats the story" got to number 4 in the billboard 200 Album Chart, hardly not breaking America.......
  • Options

cafctom said:

If we're talking just UK bands, then they are absolutely in that top 10 bracket based on popularity alone. Since Queen, there hasn't been a rock band out of this country as big as them, so thats around 30 odd years.

You don't have to be in the league of Lennon/McCartney to be great. They were in a league of their own and always will be.

If you're of a certain age (say 21 to 35), Oasis are the biggest UK band of your generation. They may not be the 'best' in terms of ability. But in terms of sheer volume of recognizable hits, the timing, influence and personality - absolutely they are a 'legendary' band.

they never broke america, that's why they can never be in the league of "legendary" imo
    They used to sell out big arenas in America & Canada. They have a massive fan base there so I don't know what you're on about
  • Options
    I think they're pretty good as they were and really enjoyed them at the time but couldn't really care if they were/are successful in America.
  • Options
    Saw one of their last small gigs. Bournemouth international centre the week after WTSMG was released. Had been postponed from couple months earlier as Bonehead had badly cut his finger.

Great band and were very much of their time.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

You do need to widen your age range. I'm 45 and i was at knebwroth in 96 and I certainly wasnt the youngest there.
    Not that those older than me would agree that they were the biggest band of their generation.

Keep going - I'm 57.

They were a very good show band - but not great in my opinion. For me that accolade is reserved for the likes of the Stones, Floyd, Led Zep etc... and Oasis are most definitely (not maybe) not in that league.
  • Options
    Oasis were the first band I got into in a big way. Before then was not really into music. Was 15 when Definitely Maybe was released and was blown away by it. Seen them live 7 times and for me are the best live band I have seen.
  • Options
    Do you think he will put on any more dates? completely missed the boat this morning and on the pre sale.

• Options
    ffs, forgot about the release this morning
  • Options
    Has it sold out already?