Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs Oxford Utd | Match Preview (***GAME POSTPONED AGAIN - NEW DATE: TUE 14 JAN @ 7.45***)

The first home fixture of 2014 will hopefully take place this Saturday as Charlton face Oxford United in the 3rd round of the FA Cup. It will be the second time that these two teams have faced each other in a cup competition after the Addicks defeated Oxford 4-0 at the Valley in the Capital One Cup in August.

The game is subject to a pitch inspection however after a week of heavy rain in South-East London. The official statement reads: “The inspection will take place within the next 24 hours and any decision regarding the fixture will be announced as soon as possible.”

The Opposition

This Oxford United side will cause a lot more problems than the one we faced in August. The capabilities that the U’s have has seen them rise to the play-off places in League Two and with a game in hand which if won could take them into the automatic spots.

Some of the ability that Oxford posses include the strike-force of James Constable and the allegedly ‘secret-footballer’ Dave Kitson. The duo has enough experience and danger to cause the Addicks a few problems this weekend as well as another striker in Deane Smalley who has scored five league goals this season.

Another player to look out for is centre-back and skipper Jake Wright who was once linked with a possible move to the Valley a few years ago.

Player to Watch

The player to watch this weekend is Oxford United striker James Constable. The 29-year-old has scored seven league goals this season and nine in all competitions. Constable is described as a “big, powerful frontman with bags of pace" and will no doubt cause the Addicks a few problems this weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdsTYcdsmCw

The Line –Up

I’d imagine that if the game does go ahead, then Chris Powell will no doubt rest a few players this weekend.

In goal, Powell may give a start to Ben Hamer as he returned to the squad in midweek as a substitute and temporarily drop Ben Alnwick who has been impressive in his spell as goalkeeper.

At the back, Chris Solly will probably be rested so Lawrie Wilson will come back to right-back. Dorian Dervite will probably replace one of Richard Wood/Michael Morrison while Cedric Evina will be contesting the left-back spot with Rhoys Wiggins.

In midfield, after his decent substitute appearance on New Year's Day, Jordan Cook may be selected on the left wing whilst skipper Johnnie Jackson will probably be selected in the middle of midfield ahead of either Jordan Cousins or Dale Stephens. On the right-side, one of Danny Green or Bradley Pritchard is likely to fulfil that role.

Upfront, with Marvin Sordell injured and Michael Smith cup-tied (I think!) it means that Joe Pigott is likely to replace Yann Kermorgant who may be rested, resulting in Pigott probably being upfront with Simon Church.

The Prediction

A 2-0 victory for the Addicks. 4

Comments

• Options
    I doubt very much the game will be on but if it is and we rest several players i think we will struggle. What with the pitch , the disdain we treat this competition and our record in the cup you have to fancy Oxford at 9-2.
  • Options
    Charlton Athletic P - P Oxford United
  • Options
    WE HAVE A DECISION. Apparently the two chancers have decided to open the pitch as a Boating Lake for the weekend. They feel it could be a nice little earner.
  • Options
    If it does go ahead, I would like to see this side start -

Alnwick
    Wilson Morrison Dervite Evina
    Pritchard Poyet Jackson
    Cook Pigott Sho-Silva

With Hamer, Solly, Wiggins, Wood, Hughes, Stephens, Cousins, Kermorgant, and Church chosen from to warm the bench if it all went pear-shaped.
  • Options
    if it happens the same squad as played them in the league cup will be likely, can see Muldoon and poyet getting on the bench
  • Options
    That's an inventive line-up @stubleyAddick .. I'd give Cousins a rest, play Pritchard in there and perhaps give Lennon a debut .. I am usually loath to see too many changes after a successful run, but the holiday programme has been a tough one and there are some hard games just over the horizon.
    Oxford's form has recently been poor but I fancy them to get a draw, pitch permitting

CAFC 2 v Oxford United 2
  • Options
    If it's on, I fancy a win - thats if we decide to take it seriously.

3-1 addicks.
  • Options
    Hughes, Evina and Pritchard in for Wilson, Wiggins and Cousins from stubley's line-up played on a Tuesday in late January and a 2-1 win
  • Options
    Comfortable home win 4-0 (again)
  • Options
    0-0
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The first home fixture of 2014 will hopefully take place this Saturday as Charlton face Oxford United in the 3rd round of the FA Cup. It will be the second time that these two teams have faced each other in a cup competition after the Addicks defeated Oxford 4-0 at the Valley in the Capital One Cup in August.

The game is subject to a pitch inspection however after a week of heavy rain in South-East London. The official statement reads: “The inspection will take place within the next 24 hours and any decision regarding the fixture will be announced as soon as possible.”

Im more worried about the pitch inspector drowning than anythng else!

• Options
    If it goes ahead (and that's a big "if"), we'll get 2 or more, they'll get 2 or less.
  • Options
    I think it is difficult for us as the manager needs to assess who needs a rest and who doesn't and the data available to him isn't available to us. I would like to see us take it seriously enough to get through this hurdle though.
  • Options
    we'll win no matter when it's played
  • Options
    It's chucking it down at the minute - can't see it going ahead...
  • Options
    If it gets called off and the fourth round draw gives us a big club, i wonder if the attendance will dramatically increase for the replay?
  • Options
    If it's anything like the rain in bexley at the moment, there's no chance it will be on.
  • Options
    This won't be needing that inspection!!!!
  • Options
    Pissing down here in Woolwich. Games off.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well at least we'll be in the hat for the 4th round draw
  • Options
    I imagine the doncaster players arrived early this morning?
  • Options
    Saying moved to Wednesday on twitter
  • Options
    Games off.
  • Options
  • Options
    On the Oxford twitter but not ours!
  • Options
    Have sky genuinely started the transfer window countdown clock?
  • Options
    We are in the hat for the 4th round. GET IN!!!
  • Options

On the Oxford twitter but not ours!

Not on the OS either, do they put any relevant news on there ? Grrr