Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

And then there was one: Paul Ellison suspended

Comments

• Options

I would have thought Chris Parkes would be classed at least as key personnel to the business.

He's the Club's Secretary.

He makes the tea, photocopies the P45s, and orders in the rapidly diminishing red-pens needed to put a line through staff lists.....

That's a very disrespectful comment to Chris.
    AFKA was, I'm sure, only jesting.

I should hope so, as Chris's role is far more important than just 'making the tea'. More than lots know.
  • Options

I would have thought Chris Parkes would be classed at least as key personnel to the business.

No disrespect to Chris intended by me, it's just a matter of fact that the SMT consisted of the people listed above and other senior people - for example on the football side - weren't part of it. Chris Powell wasn't, but nobody is saying he wasn't senior. Chris Parkes isn't (wasn't) really involved in the day-to-day management of the business.
    Yep I see your point AB, so is the footballing side relatively unscathed in this?
    I think it's quite likely that they know very little about it. It used to be a pretty separate operation. Obviously things might have changed.
  • Options
    Out of interest who is in charge of the catering and the bar areas in general at The Valley, because the food is appalling, the service slow and pretty shoddy, and if I'd taken over the club the first people I would have fired would be those in charge of that.
  • Options

He makes the tea, photocopies the P45s, and orders in the rapidly diminishing red-pens needed to put a line through staff lists.....

That's a very disrespectful comment to Chris.
    No it's just a simple play on words. I don't believe there's an ounce of disrespect in it.
  • Options

Out of interest who is in charge of the catering and the bar areas in general at The Valley, because the food is appalling, the service slow and pretty shoddy, and if I'd taken over the club the first people I would have fired would be those in charge of that.

I've had worse burgers I must say. Though the prices and quality aren't great, you won't find much better at football clubs these days. Though what bugs me is bottled water for £1.80 and they can't even refill it with tap water.
  • Options
    I'm sorry to hear of Paul's troubles. Whenever I've spoken to him he seems to be a very nice man.

Perhaps as someone has mentioned above, there are problems with the big increases in hospitality prices this season. We may have to consider this in future as it is becoming too expensive. My dad and I have enjoyed match day meals for some time now and in no small part it is the staff who make the experience so much more pleasurable.

It is very sad to hear of all these problems behind the scenes.
  • Options
    much better? I honestly cannot imagine any food place serving anything worse to be honest. I've never seen a place that sells food worse, and that doesnt even take into account how overpriced it is. If you want people to eat food in the ground, start with producing something that actually tastes good. Then sort out the people serving. Plenty of people looking for jobs that could do a better job. It's hardly rocket science.

I have no idea if that's what this guy was in charge of, but if he was then I'm frankly suprised he lasted as long as he did, unless his specific remit was to serve up crap, at the minimum cost and the highest price, and lose all chance of return custom.
  • Options
    Don't you work in McDonalds? ;-)
  • Options
    I think that's Red Army SE7 mate.
  • Options

Thwow that man to the ground, wuffly.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Other than outright desperation, I'd love to know what persuaded Murray (presumably with the club's best interests at heart) to sell out to these characters. Did he do any due diligence?
  • Options

When ever I see the food poster for food at The Valley "Bake & Bite", I read it as "Fake & Shite".
  • Options

Other than outright desperation, I'd love to know what persuaded Murray (presumably with the club's best interests at heart) to sell out to these characters. Did he do any due diligence?

Well I think it was these guys or administration.
  • Options

Presumably because Varney said they were a good thing.

....I think they were the only thing.

• Options

Well I think it was these guys or administration.
    But the directors debts had already been restructured so it only left the bank loans which were (from memory) fully secured.

Similarly I don't view administration as a likely outcome today either because if they walk away, they will be lucky to get 10p in the £ for the debts they've accumulated 'to themselves'.
  • Options
  • Options

Outright desperation seems a good bet. He was looking gaunt and unwell so I would have thought he needed respite if only to be around for a bit longer for his family. But it was also back in the day of the Cash cash. The people involved in the story gave us a good beginning, the muddle was highly unattractive but hopefully we are now on the ending.

• Options

Seems that Slater listened to my complaints about the steak slices after all..................................

lol

• Options
    Paul and Dave were very helpful in getting the return to the Valley/Trust launch at the Valley in December.
    Paul dealt with all details to make the event happen, and was on hand to help us stage our first 'event'.
    From what I understand these two helped us have a successful night, when trying to get any response out of the club was to say the least difficult.
    I have dealt with Dave before and he is always constructive and helpful. I have no idea what the reasons are for this, but the guy did a great job for us, and CAFC in my experience.
  • Options
    they will want there money back and the only asset is the Valley (the Ground) and from day one thats been the fall back .....they will sell the ground by the end of the season if no buyers appear ...........
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    jdsd42 said:

they will want there money back and the only asset is the Valley (the Ground) and from day one thats been the fall back .....they will sell the ground by the end of the season if no buyers appear ...........

They can't as the £5m overdraft is secured on it. It will not get back the approx. £14m they have 'loaned' the club. Read some of the other threads on here - search for £40m.....it covers it all!

• Options
    cafc-west said:

jdsd42 said:

They can't as the £5m overdraft is secured on it. It will not get back the approx. £14m they have 'loaned' the club. Read some of the other threads on here - search for £40m.....it covers it all!

You dont think they could do a deal to get all the cash back...........and they are worried about CAFC..........
  • Options
    @jdsd42 They are not so much worried about CAFC - more about getting their investment back and selling the ground would not do that. Was only trying to make the point that if you read all of the detail here: http://www.charltonlife.com/discussion/56328/40m/p1 then you'd see all the explanation covering the level of their debt exposure - and speculation on their options.
  • Options

Paul and Dave were very helpful in getting the return to the Valley/Trust launch at the Valley in December.
    Paul dealt with all details to make the event happen, and was on hand to help us stage our first 'event'.
    From what I understand these two helped us have a successful night, when trying to get any response out of the club was to say the least difficult.
    I have dealt with Dave before and he is always constructive and helpful. I have no idea what the reasons are for this, but the guy did a great job for us, and CAFC in my experience.

I'm sure we'll find out once the toxic twins have decided what gambit they can cook up this time.

• Options
    OK for the first time I'm beginning to feel real uneasy about what's going down behind the scenes.

With all these senior people leaving who is actually taking on the work that they were previously doing?
  • Options
    It is gonna be Full Time Prothero soon.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Bloody hell, the club can't afford that ...

• Options
    It would be interesting if we knew what he was suspended for and if he was indeed 'targeted'
  • Options

MrOneLung said:

Bloody hell, the club can't afford that ...

LOL

• Options
    Did anyone else catch Prothero on the TV on Saturday night during the 50 Premier League moments show on BBC 3?