Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New Article: Bradley Pritchard- Non-League to Championship

edited November 2012 in General Charlton
It was a weekend of threes for Charlton this weekend, as Danny Haynes third goal in three games made it three wins out of three. This put the side on 23 points, and more importantly moves them only 4 points off the promotion places.
Powell’s joy was obvious at the final whistle, clenching his fists and shouting with delight, as his class of 2012-13 start to familiarise themselves with Championship football.

It wouldn’t be unfair to say that Burnley created the more significant chances. Austin, who has scored 17 goals so far this season (and picked up his player of the month award pre-game) had numerous chances, but it wasn’t to be on a warm day at Turf Moor.
The truth is that it could have been more for the Addicks, but after Trippier had been sent off for handling the ball on the goal line, Jackson’s penalty was saved by Clarets ‘keeper Lee Grant.

One player that should be singled out for extra praise is Bradley Pritchard. Signed in May 2011, Pritchard has now made over 30 appearances for the Addicks. Last season he was very much a back up to the regular partnership of Stephens and Hollands in the middle of the pitch, but a combination of injuries and increasingly confident performances from the Zimbabwe-born midfielder have made him a regular fitting this season.

At the start of the season, I was not alone in my belief that Pritchard was out of his depth. Overexposed on the right side of midfield, he became a weak point as he filled in whilst Wagstaff and Green returned to full fitness. In the games against Nottingham Forest and Crystal Palace, his tendency to drift inside left huge gaps down the opposition left. When Wiggins got injured, Solly was deployed as the makeshift left back for several games. I was concerned; with Wilson still learning at right back, and Pritchard largely uninspiring, I saw a significant weakness for other sides to expose.

As the season has developed however, Pritchard has not only made the position his own, but has become a utility man working across the whole of the midfield. His performances have not only become more assured, but his relationship with the other players has also clearly benefited from his extended run in the team. It’s no coincidence that as Pritchard and Jackson have provided the protection for the back four, Stephens and Kerkar have begun to grow in attacking confidence.

Pritchard began his career at a CAFC, non-league Carshalton. In 2006, he joined conference side Nuneaton Borough. This was the start of 5 hard years in non-league football, as the Harare native moved to Tamworth following Nuneaton’s liquidation in 2007. Never shy of getting forward, he netted double figures both there and at his next club Hayes and Yeading.

In 2011, Pritchard did some voluntary work behind the scenes at Charlton Athletic. Whilst at the club, he took part in a trial, and somewhat unsurprisingly (given the nature of Powell’s huge clear-out that summer) was offered a one-year playing contract. As stated, he wasn’t exactly a regular during the Addicks climb to the title, but he clearly did enough to impress Powell, as he signed a two-year extension to his contract in June 2012.

Pritchard has now become a vitally important cog in the Charlton midfield. It has been a source of frustration for many fans this season, who feel they have lacked creativity, protection and attacking intent. More recently though, as the team have enjoyed an upturn in form, the midfield has become more prominent. The 5-4 victory against Cardiff provides a perfect example, as they came up against top quality players such as Whittingham, Frei and Noone. For once, Pritchard and co (often criticised for being prominent in their absence) dominated their opposition, hassling them and distributing better balls to their forwards.

This Charlton team may not be the most talented in this league, but whatever quality they lack, they make up for in effort. Every player leaves everything on the pitch, and in some ways it seems unfair to single out just one individual. However, Pritchard’s extraordinary journey from non-league to the Championship is testimony to Powell’s belief in his players, and as Charlton continue to climb the league, perhaps Pritchard’s journey isn’t finished yet.

Comments

• Options
    Great post.
  • Options
    yeah top post wallin
  • Options
    i love pritch, everytime people write him off he proves them wrong. Top lad.
  • Options
    good post, all Prit needs is to get a few goals
  • Options
    Eloquently put! I am endlessly impressed with Pritchard's engine and capacity to cover every inch of the pitch. Chris Powell is a shrewd cookie and certainly brings out the inner ability of those around him (Morrison unsuccessful at Massive, Cort at Burnley and of course our hero, Kermo, languishing at Leicester). I think Pritch will just get better and better. His sport's science knowledge must help him to boost his fitness and mobility. Long may it last!
  • Options
    When I first saw him play against Reading last season , there wa sclearly something about him. He has had to do a lot of learning quickly but he looks like a fast learner. Terrific signing. According to Powell, he has busted Lee Bowyer's Prozone record - for all divisions which gives us some idea that his work rate is special.
  • Options
    When he scores its gonna be a "i was there" moment. Cannot wait
  • Options
    bowyer had the prozone record? didn't know that muttley old son
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    according to Sir Chris

Did you know Pritchard now holds it.
  • Options
    Well written. I like Pritchard's intelligence. He lays the ball off very well rarely making a poor pass.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not sure Pritchard was ever "filling in" for Green or Wagstaff this season, was just chosen ahead of them...
  • Options
    I boy done good
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    His through ball to Solly which led to the penalty was perfect. Strength and direction and straight onto Solly's boot. 100% defence splitting.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
  • Options
    Wasn't Pritchard brought in to do some pro zone analysis?

Maybe he hacked it!
  • Options
    He's gonna score sooner rather than later I reckon. Rate his energy and he's definitely improving this season.
  • Options
    Was critical of him at the beginning of the season, he looked lost and very uncomfortable on the right, but ever since we moved him into the centre, he seems to have done well. Though he played well against Boro, and haven't seen him play since, but clearly a lot of you are praising him, so that's good!

• Options
    edited November 2012
    Not sure a goal is particularly forthcoming, he rarely gets opportunities or indeed in the positions to look like he's threatening to bag a couple of goals.... but he's not really that sort of player for us, he's a terrier and he just hassles opponents closes things down wins the ball and tries to get balls into dangerous areas etc. More of a Keith Jones type player. I really like him.
  • Options
    The fact he's intelligent means he probably listens more than mosts and treats football like a proper job. He has come into the game late, realises how lucky he is and is not going to let the chance pass him by.

Absolute top bloke and a decent pro. Yes, he may not be the fastest or most skillful player we've ever had but he adds 15% to his game through pure determination. Can see him being at the club for a long time in different capacities.
  • Options
    Would it be fair to say Brad is like a Jose kinda figure, Works hard, Gets stuck in. i certianly have warmed to Brad alot more then JS, i feel he offers alot more in his depth of play, One of the best lower league signings we have made
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Whilst he is in his mid 20's he is new to being a professional. I honestly think he could be a premiership player but it isn't an instant thing - he just needs to keep developing at his current pace.
  • Options
    Pritchard's gonna get ya,
    Pritchard's gonna get ya!
  • Options
    Good article. Nice to read something positive.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    We have several Prem quality players, Hamer, Morro, Wiggins, Stevens Solly and Brad. That quality will see us climb the table.
  • Options
    Pritch epitomises all that is good about our Club & is a great role model.

Modest, hard working, gutsy and honest.

Sound like someone else we respect and love ?
  • Options
    Absolutely love Pritchard. Remember after the sheff wed game away last year I started a thread saying he was gonna get better and could play a big part in the championship.

Was wrong about Wilson but right about Pritch!!ha
  • Options
    When he signed for us I wasn't expecting him to make any sort of impact. We had signed a few players from non-league, some hyped up more than others, but none of them made the step up.

Could see the difference in that Reading game. Had that energy and a bit of intelligence that other signings from non-league didn't seem to have.

The midfield was always going to change this season. It needed that bit more pace (not sure why some see him as slow?) and energy at this level. It's great to see a player from within our squad add that to the midfield and step up to this level - especially one that there were understandably doubts about.

Not sure he'll keep his place on the right when Wilson is back, but he should definitely be on the bench ahead of the likes of Hollands and Green.
  • Options
    For my money he was our best midfielder during the run in last season, so much so he was the only one I wasn't worried about making the step up.

He's not outstanding in any one area, and he lacks a bit of physical stature but likewise he's a good all-rounder of a player without any really obvious weaknesses and his terrific attitude and tenacity makes up for his small size.

Really pleased to hear he's doing well and I agree with those suggesting he could well end working behind the scenes at the club one day.
  • Options
    One thing about this site is the amount of good pieces that people are able to write. I've neither the time nor the vocabulary to be able to write this sort of thing but it's very much appreciated so thank you, another great article.

As for Pritch you can't help but love the fella. From that goal against Halifax where you could see in his face it meant everything to him to meeting him a few times and you can just see and hear from the fella that he knows how lucky he us to be ding what he does. Another of the team that you love more and more with every game.
  • Options
    Pritch is class, on and off the pitch