Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs. Middlesbrough | Match Preview, Predictions, Teams, News & Views

WSSWSS
edited November 2012 in General Charlton
Introduction

It is fair to say that Charlton’s fortunes in the familiar surroundings of SE7 are not great. A solitary victory over Leceister way back on the 21st August sees the Addicks with the second worse home record in the whole division. Positives can be gleamed from when Chris Powell’s men take to the road though, draws with Leeds and Wolves would have been grabbed with both hands prior to both kick-offs, yet the fact many were disappointed not to come away with a maximum points haul shows how capable we are. Chris Powell realised changes were needed and made wholesale ones both enforced (Dale Stephens’ injury) and out of choice (moving Lawrie Wilson to right midfield). Whether the gaffer continues with this approach at The Valley will all be revealed when we entertain Middlesbrough on Saturday.

The Team

Ricardo Fuller’s injury in the defeat to Barnsley and Dale Stephens’ withdrawal means tactics have changed. A noticeable lack of pace (and quality?) in the centre of the park has seen a shift in Chris Powell’s thinking. Moving Chris Solly back to right-back with Lawrie Wilson playing in front of him and introducing Arsenal youth-product Cedric Evina to the left back berth has balanced the team up. Johnnie Jackson, having recovered from injury is now playing in a more central role with Dorian Dervite attempting to establish himself as a regular marshalling in front of the back four.

Playing a top-three team may see Chris Powell retain the five across the midfield with Bradley Pritchard seemingly preferred to Danny Hollands although if Bradley Wright-Phillips was reintroduced to the fold, Dervite is likely to be the one to make way.

Many fans will demand playing two-up-top at home but if the likes of Kerkar, Jackson and Wilson to an extent, can support Rob Hulse up top we should have enough threat. We’ve created more chances than I can remember in the past two games – we just need to be start converting. Expect the same team Lifers…

The Opposition

Tony Mowbary’s Middlesbrough have had a good start to the season. One of a clutch of teams expecting to challenge for promotion, Boro have the fourth best away record in the league – winning half of all of their games away from The Riverside. Goal threats are obvious up front with ten goals this season being spread across a forward line including Jutkiewicz, Emnes and Scott McDonald and we’ll of course keep a close eye on ex-captain and penalty-over-the-bar-blaster Nicky Bailey who has grabbed a couple already.

Prediction

Decent draws away from home mean nothing if we’re not performing at home. Results in and around us have put real pressure on the team to pick something up in the next two games at The Valley, the crowd needs to play it’s part but more importantly, so do the players. We can’t afford to be on the back foot for 45 minutes before deciding to pull our fingers out, a nice high-tempo from the first minute and we may just get that elusive second victory. 2-1 victory.

Come on you reds!

Comments

• Options
    once again another turgid affair will see one goal in it not sure who too so i'll take the easy option and plump for 1-1 as we slip nearer the trap door
  • Options
    Wonder what reception Bailey will get, no boos from me but I expect there will be some

Tough tough game would take a draw
  • Options

Wonder what reception Bailey will get, no boos from me but I expect there will be some

he 'should' get a decent round of applause (saved us the pain of a play off final defeat to the scum) he always put in a decent shift for us and was a popular player imo
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Bailey should get a cheer and will do from me, Always gave 100% and really was the stand out player for 2 years. The fact we got a nice amount for him which helped us stay a float will be lost on some.
  • Options
    1-1 Draw, well go behind and equalise in the 2nd half
  • Options
    Don't blame Bailey for missing the pen but I can't fogive him giving the ball away when a simple pass would have set Reid away. Instead they scored. Won't boo him though even when he scores to make it 1 - 1.
  • Options
    no reason why Bailey should not get anything other than a good reception.

as for the game, i fear another 0-1 which will be another Saturday evening ruined.
  • Options
    I'll definitely give Bailey a good reception.

I'll swear my tits off at him once he starts rolling around on the floor with his head in his hands though.
  • Options
    yeah got nothing against Bailey. Always put a shift in amongst a group of no hopers.

think we might nick a 1-0
  • Options
    Will definitely be giving Bailey a clap, one of my favorite Charlton players from the past five years.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We need to start picking up home wins quickly if we are to avoid being pulled into a season long relegation scrap. A home draw is no good at all at this stage.
  • Options
    Can't see us winning this one,2-0 to Middlesborough.
  • Options

Don't blame Bailey for missing the pen but I can't fogive him giving the ball away when a simple pass would have set Reid away. Instead they scored. Won't boo him though even when he scores to make it 1 - 1.

Nah, the real mistake in the two games was the lack of guts of either Semedo or Racon to take a yellow before Swindon's second at the County Ground.

Anyway, first priority should be not to lose, so 4-5-1 and see where we go from there.

• Options
    Long overdue home win. 1-0, Hulse header.
  • Options
    Bailey
    Money grabing knob
    Decent player though
  • Options
    Charlton 1-3 M'boro, they are the in form team and we play shit at home. Obviously hope i'm wrong, also hope bailey gets a good reception great player for us.
  • Options

Bailey
    Money grabing knob

What because he didn't stay two seasons in a dog sh*t league with us? Surprised he stayed for the one season he did.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Controlled 2-0 with a totally naked MILF disrupting play as Borough miss both their penalties.

This is not a prediction, just wishful thinking.
  • Options

Bailey
    Money grabing knob
    Decent player though

We needed him gone more than he wanted more money.
  • Options
    Draw against a powerful 'Boro outfit: CAFC 1 v Middlesborough 1
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Bailey
    Money grabing knob

Absolute crap. Very confident he would have stayed at Charlton if we had been promoted that year. Infact, I think there's a good chance he would have wanted to stay even if we could have afforded to keep him.
  • Options
    Can't see Boro winning two consecutive aways. If Emnes is out, 2-0 for us, one from BWP.
  • Options
    not bothered about Bailey, was ok, nothing more, won't boo but won't clap him either.

as for the game, start one-up and we'll lose. can see a narrow 1-0 to them, but obviously hope I'm wrong
  • Options
    This will be a real tough game against an inform boro. Think they've won 5 straight away games so know how to travel and confidence will be sky high after beating Sunderland. Powelly will be looking for a response though at home but can see this ending up as a score draw. 2-2
  • Options
    Odd one this.
    Would fancy us against Boro with last years XI who I think would give them a game.

But given our morale and league position it isn't the case. CP has a team showing a bit of grit & determination so he will not likely change it. And we wouldn't blame him.

However, I hope there is a sufficent plan B in place. Logic dictates that if we need a goal put BWP up top with Hulse, but that didn't work last time out. If we are looking OK and feeling our way into a tricky fixture, then we need an option that will see us bring the game to them when CP sees fit. Most likely the 60 minute mark. At Wolves Kerkar looked tired half way through the 2nd, and Hulse too. I would not consider taking of Hulse as he is a threat throughout with his height but we should prepare to supply him if Kerk,& Jacko are unsuccessful in doing so.

Basically, USE SOME BLOOMING SUBS FOR ONCE.
  • Options
    Like against Barnsley Jarman?
  • Options
    1 3
  • Options
    1 0 BWP last minute winner.
  • Options
    2-0 win for the Addicks. JJ pen to settle the nerves then Hulse scores a bullet header from 30 yards out.

Oh, and no boos for Bailey.
  • Options
    Well I won't be booing Bailey as I'm good mates with his brother in law so I know Nicky quite well and he's a nice bloke who is still upset over missing that penalty.

I reckon it'll be another draw: 0-0