Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Carlisle 0 - 1 Charlton - Post match reports from those there (2012)

Comments

• Options
    From what I remember MiA, the winning numbr had 1,0 and 7 in it,
  • Options
    My (short) footage from last saturday...

youtu.be/ucRPB5sayAc
  • Options
    Bummer , just remembered i bought a half time jackpot ticket on Saturday , forgot to keep an ear out at halftime to see if'd won , i ain't going back now!
    NWKA Bob actually won it, MIA ! Maybe he'll buy you a drink on Thurs night if you ask nicely !
  • Options
    Report from @AlexAnder

Charlton finally secured promotion at their happy hunting ground at Brunton Park. A single goal from Bradley Wright-Phillips was enough to give the visitors all three points on an emotional afternoon.

Charlton started the game on the front foot and could have gone ahead in the 17th minute when Danny N'Guessan failed to keep his composure as his effort sailed way over the bar.

The hosts themselves were looking to pick up points to help aid their bid for the play offs, and their best chance fell to Jordan Cook, on loan from Sunderland, but he wasn't able to keep his composure. He found himself with time and space on the edge of the area, but his shot went well wide from a promising position.

In the second half it was the hosts that were closest to going ahead, Liam Noble tried his luck from 20 yards, and his shot beat Ben Hamer, but the league leaders were saved by the woodwork.

At the other end, Adam Collin had to be alert to deny Wright-Phillips. The prolific front man beat the offside trap and found himself one on one with the keeper, but he was unable to put the chance away. Minutes later, Collin was on hand again to deny Yann Kermogant, the big Frenchman climbed highest from the corner, but his powerful header was well saved.

Then, with 13 minutes to go, the visitors took the lead. Skipper Johnnie Jackson whipped in a corner from the right, the ball was flicked on, and Wright-Phillips was in the right place at the right time to prod the ball over the line.

The goal sparked wild celebration in the visiting corner of the ground. The 700 strong army of Londoners were united as one in joy as a nervy ten minutes followed. As Charlton hung on, news filtered through that Sheffield Wednesday had been held to a 1-1 draw at Colchester, and the players and fans were able to celebrate.

After a number of fans had managed to evade the stewards and police to get onto the pitch to congratulate their heroes, the players were shepherded back down the tunnel. But the visiting supporters stayed where they were, singing and chanting, wishing to see the team return to the pitch.

Sure enough, they got what they wanted. The players raced over to the far corner of the ground, greeted by jubilant supporters. Powell was thrown into the air by his players and staff as the crowd sang his name.

Players, management and fans all had tears in their eyes as the Addicks were promoted back to the Championship. For the hardy souls that made the 600 mile round trip, it proved to be a day that none of them will ever forget, and most certainly a day when you can say 'I was there'.
  • Options
    Great report

Spot on about the I was there moment , will never leave me that day ever , in my dying days i will look upon that and think what a day what a buzz what a result
  • Options
    Three years ago today I make it!
  • Options
    Great Day. Choose to go a few days before the game and cost £100 for train tickets but so worth it.
  • Options
    Funnily enough I was having a clear out of sky plus yesterday and the sky sports news coverage of the day and the football league show are still marked blue for 'do not delete'. Sad but true.
  • Options
    Bloody hell... Cant believe that was three years ago.

Still get goosebumps whenever I think about it... Barely missed a match that season so to win promotion on the furthest away trip just capped it (Remember Scott Wagstaff's Dad sitting just across from me on the coach as well)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The moment when the players came charging out of the tunnel towards us, once the other results had been confirmed and we were up, will live with me forever.
  • Options
    Thanks for putting this back up AFKA. Just had a happy old time reminding myself whilst in hospital (with my headphones on of course!) great stuff. I wish there were similar vids from Wembley but Carlisle was special because everyone can probably spot someone they know or met in Paul's videos - which he selflessly took from the stand rather than going on the pitch like Joe!
  • Options
    Those 2 good seasons with Powell were the happy period, even if we weren't doing well it still felt good. Of course then it went to shit.
  • Options
    Even if we have a good team it doesn't feel as centimental now.
  • Options
    Can't believe its three years ago. One of the most special moments I've following Charlton - definitely the best I've had as an adult.

The fact is was the longest journey to make somehow made it even more special. A proper "you just had to be there" occasion. Unforgettable.
  • Options
    My time hop has gone mental today!
  • Options
    Obviously a brilliant day, but I took my 11 yr old and 2 of his mates and they got really upset about the heavy-handedness of some stewards and police at the end of the match. They'd noticed a boy their age getting man-handled and it soured the journey home. Thank God I only had to go 2hrs down the A65.
  • Options
    Those were the days - listened to every game, (virtually) kicked every ball - watched every highlight going.
  • Options
    Wow time flies, could not have gone with better people that day, still can't hide my smile when I think back from the ridiculous early start of booze and abuse to the late night home and everything in between
  • Options
    It remains (and I think it always will) the best footballing day (not game) of my life! I think only witnessing England win something could get close for me.
    Still shocking that we only had 900 up there, to see us win the league, just like Blackburn in 2000. A quality 900 but poor none-the less, although it kind of makes it all the more special for those catually there.

Did a lot of northern aways that season with the same band of mates, so was fitting for us all to be there for that. The pre and post match booze up will live long in the memory, as will the Blackpool weekender for Preston away a couple of weeks later! Fortunatley, in hindsight, that season fell nicely between long-term serious relationships for me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Wow time flies, could not have gone with better people that day, still can't hide my smile when I think back from the ridiculous early start of booze and abuse to the late night home and everything in between

Certainly was a day and a half mate....never laughed so much
  • Options
    6 years ago today
  • Options
    How time flies,
    Was a great (long) day. Stayed over in some village pub outside Carlisle and made a slow journey back next day.
    We didnt play great that day but just ground out what we needed.
  • Options
    Bradders - did what it said on the tin.
    Yann - our Cantona.
    Jacko - love him to bits.

Twice I've been to Carlisle and seen us promoted.
  • Options
    Went to bump the Olly Thread bit all the pictures seem to have disappeared
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Went to bump the Olly Thread bit all the pictures seem to have disappeared

Censored now he's one of them? Just kidding. We know where your heart lies, Olly.