Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How good were you ?

edited March 2012 in General Charlton
I thought that it might be interesting to find out how good at football we were when we played. I will start with myself which should let you see that you have nothing to beat. I was at my peak when as a 17 year old I went to work at the Commercial Union Insurance Company, team name Cuaco. They fielded 8 teams, and I wore the number 9 shirt in the 8th team ! I achieved one game for the 6th team scoring with I have to say a brilliant header. I went on to remain a prolific goalscorer ( goalhanger ) for Rottingdean Village Reserves down in Sussex, and my greatest achievement was winning two gold medals at Butlins and being offered a trial for Edgware Town which I refused being very aware of my own limitations. Beat that you lot !

Comments

• Options
    Hurstmere school
    North Kent Boys (2 years)
    Schoolboy forms for Charlton (2 years) (Palace came in for me after I was released and my Dad said no!)
    Welling United
    Dagenham & Redbridge (Reserves)
    Couldn't hack all the training after that and just played local football.
    Played in front of a crowd of over 3000 for Welling United against a celebrities side that included Ed Stewpot Stewart (in goal) and Diddy David Hamilton. Showing my age now.
  • Options
    Not very,drafted in to the school first team as a rugby player to kick people and get the ball to those who could play.A multi skilled work side player who played in goal,centre back and up front or anywhere where they were short! A complete disgrace to my Father who had been a good player and had been offered a pro contract in his youth!
  • Options
    JTJT
    edited March 2012
    Was district standard, played for Kent once. Was picked to go to one of Charlton's Kent training schemes but gave it up after a few weeks. Left Winger turned Striker, Marc Overmars style as a kid, Michael Owen style as a teen. Left footed though unlike Owen.

Stopped at 17, miss playing big time just never really got back into it.
  • Options
    I was an average centre- half but very quick. I was at Roan and played alongside Gary Micklewhite ( Man U,Derby,QPR ) and Phil Coleman (Millwall). Best of all was our school captain,Dave Campbell. He was playing for Charlton 1st team when he was still queuing up for school dinners in his blazer. I ended up playing Sunday Football in the Woolwich & District League...Oh well.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Not very. Although I can kick with both feet, I had no pace, skill, awareness or general football aptitude. My tackling made Paul Scholes look like Marcel Dessailly. I could though, and still can deliver a decent dead ball.
    Played in House football at school and we won the year I was in 5th year (Year 11), I played in that team.
    Really only played 5 Athough-side competitively when I worked for Barclays. Got done big time in an 11a side match for my bank against some customers in 1986. Tore my quads and took years to recover fully.
    I was actually better in goal than anywhere else. I had good hands and reactions but I'm not 6' 4", mind you. that didn't seem to matter as much 30 years ago. Turned in an unbelievable performance in goal for my lads A team Dads v B Team Dads a few years ago.
  • Options
    Always worked on Saturdays so rarely played for my school (Bexley Grammar).
    Big lump of a centre forward without much skill but scored my fair share of goals for various clubs including Danson, Thames Poly, Midland Bank, UCB and Wandsworth Vets. With most of the decent clubs I played for I made occasional first team appearances but struggled to hold down my place. As I put on the pounds I moved to centre back which I found much easier to play and was, in truth, a much better player at the back.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I play for my school and my local team right now. I am first choice left back for my local team and I'm second-choice left winger for school. There's also a team representing the whole league, like a team of the year. I got picked for it, but my mum and dad said no because they thought it would be too much strain for me (playing for 3 teams).
  • Options
    10 years for Long Lane
    District Team
    Bexley Grammar School (Kent cup winners twice)
    Sunday League for last 6 years. (due to charlton season ticket)
    I did have the task of man marking kieran richardson in a cup final for long lane once and he scored 5!
  • Options
    missed an open goal for my sunday league team this weekend
  • Options
    Went to John Roan and played to district level, played a decent standard too for 1 season on a saturday (Kent County) and have always played sundays at a good level. Always more interested in drinking and Charlton on a Saturday though so soon knocked that on the head.

All left foot....my right one is for standing on, and played Left Back, Left Midfield or Centre Half in my younger days, now playing Vets and enjoying it more than at any other time I've played football.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bloody dreadful, although I did score twice for the Charlton VP in the two seasons we played.
  • Options
    Come on AFKA.
  • Options
    Could run forever until I discovered smoking
    Was bloody quick until I started getting 'heavier'
    Was a fearless RB until I broke my leg in three places in a game at Southampton Uni

Never really had any skill tho! More of a rugby build!
  • Options
    Could (just about) hold my own at sunday league level but never set the world on fire. Still play 7 a side every week and the odd 11 a side here and there. At 43, probably too old to make it now but want to keep playing for as long as I can!
  • Options
    Did not really start playing football for a team till about 18 years old, soon realised I was a tad better than my mates so played for a decent Saturday side. We won Seven Promotions in Nine years racing through the Surrey South East Combination then through the Surrey Premier into the Combined Counties league. Switched to Vets when turned 35 and after six years team has now folded, play occasionally for mates in Redhill & District league Div Four. Still love playing now but facts are facts at 42 I really probably should just pack up.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Had trials at Charlton when I was about 11 with a guy called Paul Burt. He made it through into the academy, I didn't. He was in the same youth team and released at the same time as Danny Haynes.
  • Options
    Sunday morning pub team player and not a very good one at that,i still fancy a kick about but at 46 i think thats all over now.
  • Options
    Highest i got was ONE appearance for Great Yarmouth Town
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    journeyman.

was told by my old man that at the age of 10, I was being watched by Leeds & Charlton. Then we moved abroad. Came back & played in the Dartford & District League, Kent Suburban, Woolwich & District, Metropolitan Sunday League, Kent County, South London Alliance..played every position going except keeper. Now centre forward for a Vets side.

played against Jimmy Bullard a couple of times when he was young.

if only...i had it all before me :(
  • Options
    Played for school and captained district. Was a stroppy teenager with long hair and wore hair band for playing. Told I had to get my hair cut to play for Kent and refused, so dropped out. Claim to fame is playing in the FA Cup. Well, 1st qualifying round, but I hope that counts. Highlight of football career has to be being a member of the infamous Worldnet winning CIFC team of 2002! Some great memories of Leeds.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Play (badly) @ LB for a sunday met. league team.

Passion's there even if the ability isn't!
  • Options
    I was an average centre- half but very quick. I was at Roan and played alongside Gary Micklewhite ( Man U,Derby,QPR ) and Phil Coleman (Millwall). Best of all was our school captain,Dave Campbell. He was playing for Charlton 1st team when he was still queuing up for school dinners in his blazer. I ended up playing Sunday Football in the Woolwich & District League...Oh well.
    do you know Chris Lay?
  • Options
    Had trials at Charlton when I was about 11 with a guy called Paul Burt. He made it through into the academy, I didn't. He was in the same youth team and released at the same time as Danny Haynes.

Did you play for an Ashford team at all?
  • Options
    I was fairly average also, although I ended up captaining every team I played for. Appeared for around 5 local teams including Tunbridge Wells Foresters where I got picked up by Charlton! Unfortunately my trial didn't go well and I gave up football at 17, bit of a regret of mine.
  • Options
    Went to a school that didn't play football :( However, I was an effective playground performer and am still a reasonable 5-a-side player, though nearing retirement from that.
    In the 11-a-side format I am and have always been total, total crap. No physical presence or positional awareness.
  • Options
    I was like a less successful John Hewie. I think I played in every position except outside right, which is not bad for a one-footed left footer. I played a number of roles - goalkeeper as a kid, striker as a teenager before a bad injury slowed me down and forced me to play as a centre half or as a hatchet man in midfield - all I should add at a variety of somewhat modest standards. Greatest claim to fame was playing in the opposite goal to Frank Reed, the Charlton 'keeper.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Captained junior school team had trials for Woolwich & District, scored but never got selected (too small like Chris Solly!). Then went to a rugby only playing grammar school so never played competitively until late teens locally on Sunday mornings. Went on to play Southern Amature League 1st team level against the likes of Catford Wanderers, Southgate Olympic, Noresman, Winchmore Hill, Carshalton all of the big four banks, and Windsor & Eaton and Cobham in the Surrey Senior Cup. Won AFA & Surrey AFA Intermediate cup winners medals against Old Easthamians and Corinthian Casuals as well as numerous pots in local Sunday League football. Played against Leyton Orient Reserves in one pre season friendly who had John Chiedozie (later Spurs and Nigerian International winger) Nigel Gray (centre half) and Bobby Fisher in their side captained by David Payne, managed by George Petchey both ex Palace, 0-4 at half time got subbed and final score 0-4. Realised then I wouldn't make it!
  • Options
    A fair bit better than average whilst at school and up to the age of 15/16/17 (flirted with semi pro stuff for a year or two) but never really progressed from there.
    Discovered sex and drugs and Rock n' Roll.
  • Options
    Just a standard player with average skill. Played for the scool, then kids n adult sunday league. Was in the school relay team team which had the record, s I guess I had a bit of pace. Was also part of the cricket, rugby and cross country teams
  • Options
    I was rubbish. Gave up playing age 38, 5 aside at the end. Played badly for the best part of 30 years. Gave up due to the long recovery after each game.
    Should have played rugby, always picked for the school team while rarely attending training. But never played with real heart, football was always the game for me.
    I was told by some old guy from the NW Kent district side (at the age of 13) that I was a natural goalkeeper, best he'd seen etc. I had it all apparently except the fact I hated playing there and I stopped growing aged 14, 5'8''.