Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How good were you ?

Comments

• Options
    I scored a penalty at the Valley when we played Man Utd

(OK it was half time but it was against Bob Bolder)
  • Options
    Fortunately I was part of a boys brigade team that was chuffed if it had 11 players, tough defender great at tackling and marking, just got in a panic once I had the ball.
  • Options
    Only got in my secondary school team when fixture clashed with district matches.
    didn't play again until i was about 19, then it was only London and Kent border Sunday league stuff for a couple of local teams in eltham.
    played about half a season as a ringer for Johnson Phillips on Saturday but couldn't tell you the league.
    after breaking both my arms pre season training then recovering to tear my acl decided to retire aged 26.
    In a word, mediocre.
  • Options
    Christ, a lot of people on here have torn knee ligaments :-(
  • Options
    It s a sad fact that those who show talent at a young age get horribly abused by the system in the country, playing school, district and clubs games, plus training with a professional club. I know so many players who nearly made it, but required knee operations in their teens. Others were luckier, but still ended up retiring in the 20s. Mate of mine played for Charlton until 16, then semi pro, retired at 27, his knees shot.

Guess I should be thankful for largely being ignored for the school team. In my early 20s I played far too much football (as much as 5 times a week) and in the end had to cut back because it was making me ill, but I hate to think what that amount of football would do to a body that's still growing, and of course it was my own choice, I didn't have the pressure these young kids are put under, everybody trying to get them to play.
  • Options
    I was awful. Played a lot of 5-a-side with school after in my 20s with friends to keep my fitness up. Played a little 11-a-side with a couple of Sunday league sides and CIFC. Retired from playing regularly at 25 to be a referee. However awful I was as a player I'm even worse as a ref or so I keep being told for the last 9 years...lol
  • Options
    Christ, a lot of people on here have torn knee ligaments :-(
    Ive got new ACLs in both knees. Mine was a work accident and a rugby injury though.
  • Options
    I was 'kin useless. Much more suited to Rugby
    same here.

Played for the School first team once when only 10 of the regular first team turned up for a match. Can't remember kicking the ball :)

• Options
    Playing at Aldershot Town's ground on Monday for the school :)
  • Options
    Generally pretty dire, sadly. After scoring a couple of times in my primary school team by resolute goal hanging, my football career steadily went into decline.
    At secondary it was all rugby where I went anyway.
    Played some 5 a side as an adult. Still really enjoy kicking a ball round.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ok..played school, kids and then mens sunday league upto maybe 16-17...lost interest after that and started dancing in warehouses and on old farms each weekend
  • Options
    I was shite......

Shite hot ;)
  • Options
    With talent and application I could have played for England. Alas I had neither.

Mind you, from my cosy seat at the Valley I have scored bucketloads of goals.
  • Options
    If it hadn't been for my knees......who knows ? But I dare to dream ;0)
  • Options
    Sunday League
    Redhill and District.
    We were good then people chose girlfriends or Saturday football.

Now I play 5, 6, 7 or 8 a side. depending on which night of the week.
  • Options
    Been playing for the same club for 32 years and whilst my positional play has improved, I'm still sh*te!
  • Options
    Average but I did score twice for the charlton supporters team v palace I'll die happy in the knowledge of that lol
  • Options
    Southern Amateur League (Div 4)
  • Options
    Kent Suburban Sunday League Cup runners-up. Then, about a hundred years ago, I played for Brussels British 2nd XI when we won the Brabant League Division 2, (I think).

My main problem was being very short sighted at a time when contact lenses either didn't exist, or were way too expensive. I also seem to remember drinking an awful lot of beer in Belgium, so I retired "at the top" after winning the league.
  • Options
    Pretty bloody good through my teens. Was always a GK despite never being very tall (5'10 now). Started off playing Sunday league and at about 9 years old got selected for trials at our advanced centre while on a week summer course at sparrows lane. Remained there until I was 15 before they finally let me go due to my height (so they said anyway). Loved it there though just never properly got a chance at the academy sadly.

Although I did sign as a 6 week trialist in about 2007, there was an u'14's tournament in BilBao which Charlton were invited to due to our connections with soccer schools in Spain. The tournament was the real deal, BilBao, Barcelona, Feynoord and Valencias academy's were all taking part. It was 9 a side played at one of their training pitch's that had a stand too, lots of locals there to watch etc, such a great experience. Don't think we got out of our group, however our final group game was against Feynoord, for which I was captain, one of my proudest moments! There was an old article on the OS which I used to get up when some of my mates at uni didn't believe me called Viva Espana I think but can't seem to find it anymore! Really great experience anyway, getting to wear the NO.1 Charlton Jersey representing the club overseas will always be a fantastic memory.

Also represented district, my school bexley grammar, and Long Lane, won the bexley cup a few times and got to the London Cup final which we lost 6-0! Not a great day for me as you can imagine... Just play 5 aside atm, gave up competitive 11aside when I started working and not yet got back into it properly although I'm sure I will soon.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2014
    played with a few times but more times against sho-silva, lightning quick player! hope he gets his chnace at the valley

• Options
    I went to a little Catholic primary called Our Lady of Lourdes in Lewisham. Not sure if it's still there. I thought I was a really good player until this little kid called Anthony Barness wanted to join in with the older lads. Skinned me alive every time, and showed most of my mates up as well. Think we called him Anthony Bastard.
  • Options
    Very :-)
  • Options

Think we called him Anthony Bastard.

So did I when he went to Chelsea..............
  • Options
    I was decent played for port vale reserves at my peak
  • Options
    Better than all of you on here, scoring the winner in a European cup final

And also gaining 109 caps for my country, getting to two euro championship finals and being world cup runner up twice
  • Options

Better than all of you on here, scoring the winner in a European cup final

And also gaining 109 caps for my country, getting to two euro championship finals and being world cup runner up twice

Trying out FIFA15 with those PS vitas before you sell them?
  • Options
    Where's the Charlton Life oldies Valley match highlights
    Got an assist and had a superb assist ruled out by a right dodgey decision

In reality I was a fine lineman in the early days
    Described in a cup final programme as "the unfittest 21 year old ever " football nickname Chris Waddle , that sort of natural ability that most professional footballers can only dream of :-)
  • Options
    It was all just a dream

Bollox I believed it
  • Options
    I was a headless chicken sort of player. Guaranteed to run around a lot to no great effect in any position.