Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dowie's bloody clueless

edited September 2006 in General Charlton
My first game this season due to being on holiday and that was clueless.

Fortune on the bench so he plays a midfielder in centre half. I know people will say Fortune was maybe not fit - why have him on the bench.

To make matters worse having Hasslebaink in midfield was laughable - he is not 25.

Taking Marcus Bent off was a BIG mistake it should have been JFH. I don't like M Bent but he was causing them problems in the air which we didn't have in the 2nd half.

I would rather have had Luke Young at centre half than Faye who I thought was excellent in both positions he played .

I know it is early days and I will give Dowie time but if he keeps on going like he did saturday we are in BIG BIG trouble.

Comments

• Options
    Clueless is being kind mate.

You can stick your 'fun' training, your end of session bbq's and your so called attacking football where the sun dont shine.

I want a manager who knows what he is doing.

Yes we have injuries but some of his selections and signings are ridiculous.

We could have signed Sidwell for £2m, instead we sign the waddling disaster that is Andy Reid for £3m. Walton should be recalled immediately if Pouso is the next best option. A Charlton legend like Powell should never have left....

For the first time EVER I wont be going to a home game tomorrow through choice. I think quite a few will do the same.

See you all at Villa :)
  • Options
    Harsh lads, harsh.

the starting formation was wrong, and should of been changed before half time. But things are not exactly going for us at the moment, are they ?

Judge him after 12 games, when a few of the injuries have cleared and we get somewhere near our first eleven.
  • Options
    I concur with you AFKA

the first 5 minutes looked like we were going to tear them apart, it worked against Chelsea but the Portsmouth domintaed and should have been a couple of goal up. after the switch at half time showed we were easily the better side in the second half. The first goal was going to win that game, just unfortunate that Romms volley wasn't 6 inches to the left and carson got caught with his weight on the wrong foot.

However teams appear to have worked us out and are playing a lot deeper against us this year so they don't get caught out with a ball over the top to Bent, we going to need even more creativity in Midield to thread teh ball through.
  • Options
    I did say at the end I will give Dowie time and I will but he has got to stop that nonsense what he did saturday.

Play players in their god damn positions.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]Harsh lads, harsh.

the starting formation was wrong, and should of been changed before half time. But things are not exactly going for us at the moment, are they ?

Judge him after 12 games, when a few of the injuries have cleared and we get somewhere near our first eleven.[/quote]

Are you not a little concerned 12 games maybe too late?? Send for curbs if i where you.
  • Options
    Southend, out of interest what signings do you think are ridiculous ?
  • Options
    We couldn't sign Sidwell for £2m because Reading wouldn't sell him.
  • Options
    Perhaps I am watching a different Charlton to some of you guys, all we lacked on Saturday was a killer pass, thought we passed the ball well particularly in the second half. Fair enough not much end product, but with Reid, Thomas, out of the side we were relying on players like Rommedahl to create & he has gotta do a bit more, he clearly was told not to bother tracking back, but did not do enough for me. Let's try to stay a bit positive, I think the football is definately improving if a little slowly.
  • Options
    Andy Reid.

Doesnt help that I sit next to a Spurs fan, but £3m on him is a total total joke.

The man will never be fit enough. Hamstring injuries are a regular occurrence for unfit players. Jury still out on Hasseilbank for me as well.

Neither are 'Charlton' in my opinion.

Carson, Faye and Traore are good though.
  • Options
    Have to agree with Ket here, but it wasn't just one killer pass it was passing in or around Pompeys box and having a lack of imaginative players to do it.

We have Holland, Hughes and Kish ... then bough Faye, and Pouso. All holding mids. Not a flair player, passing player in sight!!! Ambrose is unbelievably poor, Fat Andy Reid is fat and injury prone, so that leaves us Rom, who runs really fast. Beep, beep.

Oh well ...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]Andy Reid.

Doesnt help that I sit next to a Spurs fan, but £3m on him is a total total joke.

The man will never be fit enough. Hamstring injuries are a regular occurrence for unfit players. Jury still out on Hasseilbank for me as well.

Neither are 'Charlton' in my opinion.

Carson, Faye and Traore are good though.

If the fee was 1m, would you of been content ? Dowie, won't set or agree fees, that's down to Murray and Mills, all he would do is give his list of targets. I think Reid will be a decent buy, other players have already picked him out on him being impressive in training.

I think Diawara and pous will also prove sound acquisitions. Hasselbank i suspect was a player that was offered to Dowie, rather than him actively chasing the player. In fairness, the majority were chuffed to bits when we signed him. If he has disappointed us, no doubt he has disappointed Dowie as well.

If i had any criticism it was that we failed to bring in another striker, or an attacking centre mid. With a couple of solid holding centre mids, the enthasis is on the two wide midfielders to have a bit more attacking licence and is where our creativity will come from. At the moment, they aren't delivering.
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    i just thought that portsmouth had a very very good defence,we were done by a ridiculously soft goal and kish and pouso looked out of their depth. even though no one sees him,it wasn't until holland came on that we totally controlled the game.other than that we were quite good.
  • Options
    Bit too much negativity here!
    Pompey have been very solid at the back obviously, a cautious approach was unlikely to break them down and given our defensivve problems Dowie decided to take a risk and try to really take the game to them - GOOD ON HIM I SAY!

Okay it didn't work out, but last season people were moaning that the manager was too cautious.

There were some promising signs, Rommedahl could have got in a few more crosses but was sill our main threat, Marcus Bent was causing them a few problems I thought and Faye is still playnig well. And Lisbie was alright!!!!!!!

Herman is back next week and Pouso can have another run out tomorrow
  • Options
    I think Reid will be a good buy and cannot believe that people are having a right old moan about him already!!
  • Options
    If this was last season, it'd have been a 4-5-1, Holland and Hughes in the middle, we'd have been asleep in half an hour and still have lost.

We've got a new team, we tried something different, it didn't work.

(I'm still royally pissed off, though...)
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Give them some time! We are just underway, have a really difficult fixture list with Chelsea, Man Utd and Arsenal in our first 7 fixtures, have a huge injury list, a load of new players who need time to gel in and some suspensions. We finally managed to beat Bolton and our team performance against Chelsea was great, so I'm not that negative.
  • Options
    A number of teams have had bad starts, even Spurs fans are back to type yesterday booing the side off, Liverpool are already out of the title race, and Man City are struggling to get going or get goals.

It's not great, but then I didn't expect much out of the first 4, thought we were good for a point on Saturday.

Too early to slag the new signings off as well.
  • Options
    Boys...... Im absolutley pissed off, obviously!Im just PRAYING that its not gonna be one of those seasons, were its a nightmare the whole time. I think for the second half we were strong for small periods, we just missed the killer pass in the last third... I certainly hope that reid can fulfil that role....also if we had Jimmy Traore pushing forward on the left young on the right... Faye in the middle from the off, Im still reasonably hopeful.

We now need a surprise result up at Villa.......

We just need some points...

Who here thinks weve got a genuine relegation battle coming..... ? Im starting to think so....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite] even Spurs fans are back to type yesterday booing the side off.

There, that's cheered me up already.
  • Options
    Fair play to Dowie for (a) taking a bold approach to start with (b) changing it at half time when it didn't work and (c) ripping in to the players in his comments to the press afterwards. No more of this "proud of the team" positive thinking tosh. A the Inspector said, last season we would have had 5 across the middle - Curbs would never have dreamed of starting with the 3 up front.

What does worry me though is Dowie's comment that Bryan Hughes was an intrical part of the system until he got injured... what has this man got over our managers?!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The man will never be fit enough. Hamstring injuries are a regular occurrence for unfit players.

I did say at the end I will give Dowie time and I will but he has got to stop that nonsense what he did saturday.

Play players in their god damn positions.

i spoke to a palace fan on sunday and he said that dowie regularly played people out of position and also commented on loads of hamstring injuries.
  • Options
    Who has he been playing out of position exactly?
  • Options
    romm ambrose play too wide if he insists on playing a diamond midfield. jfh doesn't work in a midfeild diamond. luke young isn't a left back. amdy faye isn't a centre half. i know we bought kish as a full back but he has played in midfeild for ages and on sat i thought that showed.
  • Options
    i thought Kish's problem on Saturday was his distribution, not his position sense. I can't remember once where the back the shape of the full-backs were wrong in the first half, or an instance where the left winger got round the outside of him.

Faye is not a centre back, but with the absence of anyone else, he was the best alternative that we had available. Same with Young. Agree with Romm and JFH in the diamond, though i felt Ambrose would of been better suited to the diamond shape as it allowed him more central. Personally, i would of played him in the JFH position, which may well of been the plan with Hughes playing where Ambrose was before he pulled out.
  • Options
    He played that formation for one half which was sorted @ HT (shown by our 2nd half performance). Young isnt a left back & Faye isnt a centre half, your absolutely right. But when we only have four defenders fully fit,two of those beings youngsters with very little experience what more do you expect? You can only work with whats available fella. It would have been the same for any other manager, not just Dowie.
  • Options
    Agree fully Polo.

I know its easier said than done, but can't help but feela bit of patience is needed for the short-term. There are times when its either necessary or justified to get on the manager / team's back, but i don't think now is one of them.

I was going to wait till 10 games to form a proper assessment on the new set-up, changes etc. Now i'm starting to feel that it might have to be 15 games before we can form an established view.

I fear though that the majority will not be able to wait that long.
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    i agree that you can only work with whats available. if fortune was available as a sub, he should be able to play from the start imo.
    if we insist on not gambling with the youngsters and are thin on the ground, surely it is better to have players in their preferred positions.
    i know its hindsight but i would have preferred on sat
    carson
    young elk fortune kish
    romm faye pouso ambrose
    d bent jfh/mbent
    1 person out of position (kish)
    i wont get on dowies case, i'm just debating. as you see from my 1st post on this subject i was commenting on what a palace fan told me.

alternatively play youga/ashton left back and include kish in place of ambrose, 0 people out of position.

then if fortune didn't last go to plan 'b', but it's better to start the match like we played the 2nd half, even though we conceeded.
  • Options
    Yeah, I agree too mate. With such big changes at the club, you cant expect instant results. Just the way we played against Bolton showed so much promise.
    The injuries are such a big kick in the teeth but once players are fully fit I really think the team will show what they can do. Until they're all back though I definately wont be judging. Like you said though, the majority wont have the patience or wont be able to see the problems we have at the moment.
  • Options
    I think everybody needs to take a deep breath a look at the reality of the situation. We played the league leaders with 7 first team players out injured and were the better team for most of the match. The only player who really disappointed was Ambrose for me. As has been mentioned above, the shape first half should have suited him, but he didn't perform at all.

Thought Romm played well at times, especially in the second half where he could play more in his natural wide position.

Can't understand those slagging off Pouso. Thought he looked good in spells and we have to remember he's not played in the prem before, not played with his team-mates before and can't speak English. He will improve, and with the attitude he showed, improve quickly. I was gutted when he went off rather than Ambrose.

We're not getting any luck at the moment, the pompey game being a prime example as we hit the woodwork 3 times and then their only shot of the second half trickles in. As we get players back from injury and we get a consistant shape and line up the results will come.
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]

i spoke to a palace fan on sunday and he said that dowie regularly played people out of position and also commented on loads of hamstring injuries.

We had loads of hamstring injury's under ID. Obviously as palace fan I am not particularly sympathetic to Dowie, not because of how he left but mainly the crap football he served up last season.

It has to be said though, that your start to the season could not have been much more difficult.

How do you guys feel curbs would have got on with the same fixtures?