Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Powell's style of football begins to take hold at Charlton

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/8981902.Powell_s_football_style_begins_to_take_hold_at_Charlton/

Comments

• Options
    win league 1 next year, are u sure!!!
  • Options
    Unlikely, especially if we are to believe the report in the SLP today that powell is looking to sign local non leaguers. No problem with that if we are financialy stable & we looking to develop promising youngsters. I just feel we should be concentrating on a "SLIGHTLY" higher level. Of course nobody knows what really going on but slp has been fairly accurate over the last couple of years.
  • Options
    "Charlton are starting to play Powell’s style of football, which, as shown against Huddersfield and Southampton in recent weeks, is good enough to defeat any team in this league"

1 point and 1 goal from 3 games against those 2 sides in recent weeks is hardly showing us we're good enough to beat any team in the league!!
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    [cite]Posted By: charltonbob[/cite]Unlikely, especially if we are to believe the report in the SLP today that powell is looking to sign local non leaguers. No problem with that if we are financialy stable & we looking to develop promising youngsters. I just feel we should be concentrating on a "SLIGHTLY" higher level. Of course nobody knows what really going on but slp has been fairly accurate over the last couple of years.

There are loads of gems in non-league. Peterborough's best players in recent years were all snapped up from non-league: Craig Mackail-Smith, Aaron McLean and George Boyd.

Conversely there are loads of rubbish players like Chris Dickson and Stuart Fleetwood. They're always a gamble. I'd be concerned if we signed a whole team of them, but I'm sure there are lots who could make the step up.

Results are still a problem, but I would agree that we are playing some better football now. We just need a few better players.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: charltonbob[/cite]

Conversely there are loads of rubbish players like Chris Dickson and Stuart Fleetwood. They're always a gamble. I'd be concerned if we signed a whole team of them, but I'm sure there are lots who could make the step upoi

Dickson got 18 in 28 in Cyprus, way below our level but he is a goalscorer. His all round game wasn't great but you could say same of BWP.
  • Options
    if we can find the next chris smalling, kevin phillips etc would be happy with that. maybe now if we do have some extra cash we can find these players and give them time to develop and grow and not be pressured into rushing them in and dumping them after half a season.
  • Options
    I think CP's style is already in full flow...1 win in 15...4 in 19...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]if we can find the next chris smalling, kevin phillips etc would be happy with that. maybe now if we do have some extra cash we can find these players and give them time to develop and grow and not be pressured into rushing them in and dumping them after half a season.
    Chris Smalling was a local lad played against my lads ( and lost) when they were at Gravesend, at the time he was a decent player at Maidstone Utd. I think quite a few were Gillingham academy lads! U15s

Good luck on the lad, frankly any lad that does well for himself, I am glad for!. Couple of players at Welling Utd that should be playing at a higher level as they showed against us in the friendly early season, but you get the attitude that lower league football is a long journey to our shores!. There seems to be a big gap in players about 15-18 and there development into the English game. I have no idea why!, but I think that hungry young players are worth developing, and frankly our record has been pretty good over the years!. Perhaps there should be a closer link with Welling, or some other club with an exchange of coaches and players. It is the way I would go!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: harveys gardener[/cite]
    Dickson got 18 in 28 in Cyprus, way below our level but he is a goalscorer. His all round game wasn't great but you could say same of BWP.
    Not really, BWP like Dickson is 'only' a goalscorer, but his all round game is still better than Dickson's.

Darren Bent is only a goalscorer but his all round game is better than BWPs, plus he's bigger, quicker and stronger.

I see BWP more like our League 1 Darren Bent. He's 'only' a goalscorer, his all round game doesn't stand out, but he also won't give the ball away easily, make basic mistakes and can play for the team to an extent. Dickson almost always made basic errors and wasn't a good enough goalscorer to cover his mistakes. Apart from occasional moments I wasn't even impressed with Dickson in pre-season friendlies.
  • Options
    I hope that people are not under the misapprehension that just because we might start playing more attractive football that this will lead to us winning all the time and that next season will be a breeze.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Matt Fricker again, what a surprise!! He's consistant, i give him that. :-(
  • Options
    Given a competent manager, and 4 or 5 signings we can win league 1 next season. I firmly believe the 20 player overhaul some are suggesting is not necessary. It's now up to Powell to make sure his signings are the right ones, and that he is a competent manager. If so, I believe we will go up next year.
  • Options
    Problem is he isn't a competent manager. Maybe in time he will become one (Personally I don't think he's got a clue) but we are over halfway through April. Does anyone honestly believe that in 4 months time someone who currently appears to have little idea is going to blossom into a manager ready to take the 3rd division by storm............or at least creep into the top 6. If/When he fails will we still be hearing that nonsense that it isn't his team because we have Chris Solly at Right back ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: harveys gardener[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]

Conversely there are loads of rubbish players like Chris Dickson and Stuart Fleetwood. They're always a gamble. I'd be concerned if we signed a whole team of them, but I'm sure there are lots who could make the step upoi

Chris Dickson scored 0 in 28 league appearances for us, and was utter toss a 99% of the time. BWP is ten times the player Dickson will ever be.
  • Options
    Why most of you so ignorant because of Powell's record so far this season?

The squad we have is not good enough.
  • Options
    yet it was good enough for Parkinson (sorry) to keep it 5th?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mike[/cite]yet it was good enough for Parkinson (sorry) to keep it 5th?

And losing pitifully at home to relegation fodder Walsall and Swindon. We were, I believe, already about to go into freefall.
  • Options
    Why most of you so ignorant because of Powell's record so far this season?

lol would you like to rewrite that ?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Mike[/cite]yet it was good enough for Parkinson (sorry) to keep it 5th?[/quote]

The squad we now have is stronger than the one that had us 5th and 2 points off automatic.
  • Options
    yeah, shame Parky never got a chance with Bradley in the squad!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mike[/cite]yeah, shame Parky never got a chance with Bradley in the squad!
    He probably wouldn't have signed him in the first place!
  • Options
    im sure a few people on here were saying he was Parky's target, just didn't have the funds to go for him until the takeover was in place.
  • Options
    CP has had better players to turn things around but hasn't managed it so far.

Big 4 games coming up, Bristol /Walsall /Rochdale and Hartlepool. We need to get the majority of points from them... I dread to think what will happen if we lose them.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: StubleyAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Mike[/cite]yeah, shame Parky never got a chance with Bradley in the squad!

I'd say no one deserves any real praise for "identifying" and signing BWP. The (joint?) top scorer at the time in the league available for £150-300k? Doesn't take a good manager to spot that, the board could see that and so could fans of other League 1 clubs.

He was an obvious signing and I get the impression he'd have signed whoever the manager was unless they decided he wasn't what they wanted. No doubt known to the club even before the takeover.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: StubleyAddick[/cite]

I'd say no one deserves any real praise for "identifying" and signing BWP. The (joint?) top scorer at the time in the league available for £150-300k? Doesn't take a good manager to spot that, the board could see that and so could fans of other League 1 clubs.

He was an obvious signing and I get the impression he'd have signed whoever the manager was unless they decided he wasn't what they wanted. No doubt known to the club even before the takeover.

True, however it was a possible risk with his injury, don't forget he failed a medical the week before at Reading.
  • Options
    What a load of absolute crap that article is.

Powell may or may not be installing a new style of football, that is entirely subjective.

What is not in doubt is that results - you remember those? - have been diabolical and if they had been repeated over the whole season would have seen us relegated into League Two.

Just look at Powell's L1 record to date: P19 W5 D4 L10 Pts19

On a points per game basis - allowing for no sudden upturn in the last four games - that would give us 46 points for the whole season and would almost certainly see us relegated.

Compare it to Parkinson's: P22 W9 D7 L6 Pts34

On a points per game basis that would have seen us - presuming we carried on the season with similar results - end up with around 72 points which would see us in or just outside the Play Offs.

Not forgetting, of course, that Powell has had the benefit of BWP - one of the best strikers in L1 in his team - where Parkinson had only Abbott, Sodje, Benson and Martin. If Parkinson had BWP in his team then he would surely have turned some of his draws into wins and losses into draws.

All this talk about a "new style of football" is utter, utter crap. The only style of football that matters is a winning, effective one and at the moment we don't have anything like that - we have only got ONE WIN in 15 GAMES FFS.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    [cite]Posted By: gilbertfilbert[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Mike[/cite]yet it was good enough for Parkinson (sorry) to keep it 5th?

And losing pitifully at home to relegation fodder Walsall and Swindon. We were, I believe, already about to go into freefall.

Probably. But IMO PP would have corrected the slide a lot sooner than Powell did. True the football under PP was dyer, but we may well have got into the playoffs ad he stayed. As we saw from Huddersfield, you can get to the top of this league through being a very average side.
  • Options
    I feel bad being horrible to the guy, but I dont know who gave him a job at the news shopper. He produces some of the worst sports articles I have ever read in a paper. My journo mate (who is not really a proper professional yet) is miles better than this guy. He talks absolute bollocks. Most of what he writes sounds like a child making simple observations and exaggerating them to make us look better. Completely worthless.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Lost Red[/cite]I feel bad being horrible to the guy, but I dont know who gave him a job at the news shopper. He produces some of the worst sports articles I have ever read in a paper. My journo mate (who is not really a proper professional yet) is miles better than this guy. He talks absolute bollocks. Most of what he writes sounds like a child making simple observations and exaggerating them to make us look better. Completely worthless.

And your mate earns how much at the moment?

Not saying it's the greatest read ever, but how about we stick some of your work up for public scruitiny and see how you get on?

Horses and courses spring to mind. The geezer at the News Shopper is the least of our worries right now - at least they haven't forgotten us.
  • Options
    I feel that the article is very similar to stuff posted on a forum by a fan. I would like from a local rag something more considered and objective. The biased and subjective comments are plentiful on here.