Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Powell's style of football begins to take hold at Charlton

2»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Lost Red[/cite]I feel bad being horrible to the guy, but I dont know who gave him a job at the news shopper. He produces some of the worst sports articles I have ever read in a paper. My journo mate (who is not really a proper professional yet) is miles better than this guy. He talks absolute bollocks. Most of what he writes sounds like a child making simple observations and exaggerating them to make us look better. Completely worthless.

My dad's bigger than your dad.
    Matt is a Charlton supporter. His articles are biased towards Charlton because he loves Charlton. What is the point in insulting a fellow supporter's work on an internet forum? I thought we were here to discuss, not disrespect.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: StubleyAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Mike[/cite]yeah, shame Parky never got a chance with Bradley in the squad!
    He probably wouldn't have signed him in the first place!
    I don't get this at all.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Lost Red[/cite]I feel bad being horrible to the guy, but I dont know who gave him a job at the news shopper. He produces some of the worst sports articles I have ever read in a paper. My journo mate (who is not really a proper professional yet) is miles better than this guy. He talks absolute bollocks. Most of what he writes sounds like a child making simple observations and exaggerating them to make us look better. Completely worthless.
    Get your mate to write a blog on Charlton life, it might get him his break!
  • Options
  • Options
    So what is Powell's style of football? Sit back and play for a 0-0 and then have no plan B when that doesn't work? Reminds me of England under Sven.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I firmly believe that a 20 player overall could prove to be a disaster. There are key areas to strengthen and as few as 3 new first teamers of the right calibre and attitude could have a massive impact next season. Would be interesting to know how many changes Brighton required to transform from a relegation threatened side to the best side in the league by a country mile.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]So what is Powell's style of football? Sit back and play for a 0-0 and then have no plan B when that doesn't work? Reminds me of England under Sven.
    Sven was good... Three quarter finals I think he got to before losing to better teams and some on penalties.
    [cite]Posted By: MuttleyCAFC[/cite]I firmly believe that a 20 player overall could prove to be a disaster. There are key areas to strengthen and as few as 3 new first teamers of the right calibre and attitude could have a massive impact next season. Would be interesting to know how many changes Brighton required to transform from a relegation threatened side to the best side in the league by a country mile.
    Probably not completely accurate, looks like a decent number of signings but nowhere near a new squad.

Agree we need to build on what we have. Better players will get more out of some we already have.
  • Options
    Matt is writing an opinion column about Charlton for our website as a fan and opinion is the key word here. Feel free to agree or disagree with him by all means.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I'm sure Powell and his management team will be doing the necessary analysis. As fans we sometimes see a poor pass but a poor pass can on occasions, be due to the recipient rather than the passer. When moves break down, why are they breaking down - when support is needed and is not there- when we lose the majority of 2nd balls and knockdowns in a game- why? Some painstaking analysis along these lines will indicate where strengthening is needed. It isn't always as simple as blaming poor players (although you can have players, playing in a style which is beyond their abilities), but also the balance of the side. The summer should be very interesting and I'm glad we have fans who can keep the faith and be positive about next season. We shouldn't be critical, even if we are a bit more cautious in our optimism. Good on him.
  • Options
    Fair comments everyone. On reflection I was far too harsh and completely wrong to lay into him the way I did. I could have put my objections to his opinions in a much less aggressive manner.

Apologies Matt
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My problem wouldn't be with the tone of the article or Matt's opinions. The only issue I have with this article is how poor the standard of writing is throughout.
  • Options
    Friend or Defoe

Basically i was explaining that Parky might not have signed BWP.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]My problem wouldn't be with the tone of the article or Matt's opinions. The only issue I have with this article is how poor the standard of writing is throughout.

Isn't this a case where the precept, "If you haven't got anything nice to say, better say nothing at all", should apply? What's the lad ever done to us?
  • Options
    On looking at CP's stats mentioned on the previous page, does anybody know Poyet's record for the first 19 games?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Jayajosh[/cite]On looking at CP's stats mentioned on the previous page, does anybody know Poyet's record for the first 19 games?[/quote]

P19 W6 D5 L8

http://www.englishfootball.info/leagueone/brightonhovealbion/results/index.php?season=2009-10
  • Options
    Good grief! - it's an opinion piece - and one of the things about good opinion pieces is that they generate debate.

As any journalist knows - when you write something, you put your head over the parapet - some people agree, some don't...and the beauty of on-line forum is that you can debate and enjoy some banter with your fellow supporters.

Forum have in general 4 types of members - people who create stories - and thank god for them, for without them we'd have nothing to start with (so thank you Matt for being an originator); people who comment; people who distribute and people who just read.

Wouldn't it be nice if those that 'comment' would sometimes contribute something original, not just snipe and be generally odious. As for complaining about the standard of writing, then I'm afraid there's a full time job commenting on the prose of your fellow contributors to be had if you're going to follow this path.

As for Matt's thoughts - I don't really agree, but then I have an opinion too.

There were glimpses of exciting play against Huddersfield, but little end result - there was also the seemingly obligatory 10 minutes of defensive panic from 50 minutes, which was disappointing - but you also have to give Huddersfield credit too. My main concern is not the playing style - but that it seems we can't react effectively when opposing teams make tactical changes - not sure CP has that experience yet.

I admire Matt's optimism, I dearly hope he's right...but I have been a Charlton fan for over 35 years - so perhaps I should know better.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: charltonjon[/cite]Good grief! - it's an opinion piece - and one of the things about good opinion pieces is that they generate debate.

As any journalist knows - when you write something, you put your head over the parapet - some people agree, some don't...and the beauty of on-line forum is that you can debate and enjoy some banter with your fellow supporters.

Forum have in general 4 types of members - people who create stories - and thank god for them, for without them we'd have nothing to start with (so thank you Matt for being an originator); people who comment; people who distribute and people who just read.

Wouldn't it be nice if those that 'comment' would sometimes contribute something original, not just snipe and be generally odious. As for complaining about the standard of writing, then I'm afraid there's a full time job commenting on the prose of your fellow contributors to be had if you're going to follow this path.

As for Matt's thoughts - I don't really agree, but then I have an opinion too.

There were glimpses of exciting play against Huddersfield, but little end result - there was also the seemingly obligatory 10 minutes of defensive panic from 50 minutes, which was disappointing - but you also have to give Huddersfield credit too. My main concern is not the playing style - but that it seems we can't react effectively when opposing teams make tactical changes - not sure CP has that experience yet.

I admire Matt's optimism, I dearly hope he's right...but I have been a Charlton fan for over 35 years - so perhaps I should know better.

You forgot 5. People who stick up for their relatives. : - )

But I agree with you otherwise. Some constructive criticism with ideas on how to improve would be more useful to Matt. As Jon said easy to just snipe when you don't have to produce something from scratch yourself.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Varney[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Jayajosh[/cite]On looking at CP's stats mentioned on the previous page, does anybody know Poyet's record for the first 19 games?

P19 W6 D5 L8

http://www.englishfootball.info/leagueone/brightonhovealbion/results/index.php?season=2009-10

Just counted it up myself, and I make it
    W-6
    D-6
    L-7

This is compared to Chris Powell's
    W-5
    D-4
    L-10

Which, to be fair, isn't insanely far off. But in 4 games time, at the end of the season, comparing the two records might give a clearer gap, as Poyet's Brighton went on to lose 1 and win 3. Which is still possible for us to do, but I don't think many are holding out my hope for that happening.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Powell Is Pleasant[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Jayajosh[/cite]On looking at CP's stats mentioned on the previous page, does anybody know Poyet's record for the first 19 games?

P19 W6 D5 L8

W-6
    D-6
    L-7

W-5
    D-4
    L-10

Which, to be fair, isn't insanely far off. But in 4 games time, at the end of the season, comparing the two records might give a clearer gap, as Poyet's Brighton went on to lose 1 and win 3. Which is still possible for us to do, but I don't think many are holding out my hope for that happening.

Big difference is that Brighton were relegation candidates who then went on a good run and stayed up. Charlton were promotion candidates.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Powell Is Pleasant[/cite]

P19 W6 D5 L8

W-6
    D-6
    L-7

W-5
    D-4
    L-10

Big difference is that Brighton were relegation candidates who then went on a good run and stayed up. Charlton were promotion candidates.

Yeah, I'm not happy about our results either; but, in the theme of this whole thread, part of being a fan is unwavering optimism in the face of stone cold facts!