Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Damian Matthew

we are looking for a young man who plays good football, be in it for the long run

he is my choice been thinking about it all day

get damien in

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]get damien in

It's an OMEN!
  • Options
    Yeah, I agree but get his name right - he hates Damien (the name of the kid in The Omen). His name is Damian
  • Options
    we would be devilishly good to watch
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]we are looking for a young man who plays good football, be in it for the long run

get damien in

Agree but a young man with experience, Tisdale
  • Options
    he has his own thread

do one you Lardyboy ;-)
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    done
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]he has his own thread

do one you Lardyboy ;-)

LMFAO!! ..........bit pwopa nawty there, Ntherner

;o)
  • Options
    Well, i personally would like to go down the experienced route but if we're going to take a punt on someone with a bit of hunger who wants to step up a level, then why not? Although he's not had a (senior) managers job yet, probably has more coaching experience than the likes of Howe or Poyet, so who knows? he might even turn out to be just what we're looking for.
    Assuming he'd want it of course. The negative side to this is if he took it and it went pear-shaped then he'd find himself out the door, where as a coaching position is at least a bit more stable.
    But definately a valid option maybe.
  • Options
    People are entitled to their opinions but this would not exactly be a bold statement by the new owners, would it? In fact, its just what the Venky's have done at Blackburn and they are a right bunch of clowns.

Matthew would be expected to deliver promotion, anything else would be a failure given the intent the board expressed by sacking Parkinson after they had been in charge for only one game.

If we are backed by serious money - and I am starting to have doubts about that - then we should be bringing in a top, top hired gun to get us into the CCC rather than bringing in the youth team coach to replace an experienced manager.

Matthew might turn out a great manager - we just don't know - but his appointment would not send out a frightening signal to our rivals and neither would it be much of a rallying cry to the disaffected fans.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Orminston i do understand that point and my suggestion i would say is not on the clubs or Damians radar

What if we could encourage Curbs back and sit him as a director of football, Put Damien in charge where he would have the cushion of having curbs to turn to when in need of advice or support.

I just think in DM we have a manager in the making whos football values are embedded in pass and move,

his teams if they continue to turn over the bigger boys like arsenal will; start to get noticed and another club would take a punt on him.

From what i have heard we are getting ecclestone thanks to our old number 7 convincing him to come to us, beating qpr and the stripey shit to his signature.

Get some young hopefuls in and go for it with a man who knows how to get the best out of the youth.

I think Parkinsons biggest mistake was not selling the players he had too and going out and either promoting from within or getting young hungry loanees,

i think if he had done that at the start of the season he wouldve been given more time, i know i wouldve given him the time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I asked someone in a knowlegeable positon at the club some months ago, whether Matthew could be a near future manager should Parky go and they said they didn't think he was ready for the step up. Can't remember who I asked though. It was either Murray or Peacock I would guess.
  • Options
    How do we know that though,

he is doing a stirling job looking after the ressies/youth
  • Options
    Although he wouldn't be my first choice, it's not a bad shout. He has done very well at the club so far and I would like to see us keep hold of him. However if we were to appoint him I think it would be good idea to have Peacock or Gritt work closely with him.

If promoting from the coaching staff is good enough for Barcelona, with Guardiola, then it is good enough for Charlton. You wouldn't find me moaning if this happened. Don't think it will though.
  • Options
    Although he wouldn't be my first choice, it's not a bad shout. He has done very well at the club so far and I would like to see us keep hold of him. However if we were to appoint him I think it would be good idea to have Peacock or Gritt work closely with him.

If promoting from the coaching staff is good enough for Barcelona, with Guardiola, then it is good enough for Charlton. You wouldn't find me moaning if this happened. Don't think it will though.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]we are looking for a young man who plays good football, be in it for the long run

get damien in

Thought you'd been thinking about Johnson all day?

Your as confused as the bloody rest of us. ;-)
  • Options
    I was that was what i was thinking,

is it johnson and give him a couple of seasons or is it the young man who we can grow with and unite with.

i thought it was johnson but now i have decided i really want Damian to be given the chance with the correct support around him
  • Options
    think it would be absolute madness. we need as proven a manager as we can get - Matthew hasn't even been an assistant yet (other than the last few days) - i'd take Gary Johnson - think he could be a Holloway, Pullis or Warnock type - been around a long time but never quite got the break at a decent sized club ( i know thats not 100% watertight as they have had a few opportunities but hopefully you can see what i mean)
  • Options
    i think johnson would be a safe bet and dont get me wrong i wouldnt be too sad if it happend in fact i would be chuffed because i thought we had missed the chance.

bu i want it to be us that gives damian the chance and i fear we wont
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]i think johnson would be a safe bet and dont get me wrong i wouldnt be too sad if it happend in fact i would be chuffed because i thought we had missed the chance.

bu i want it to be us that gives damian the chance and i fear we wont

Fair enough. i doubt i know as much about Matthew as you but i just think it would be such a gamble and this next appointment has to be right. i really think we need a bit of stature.
  • Options
    and i think thats the dilema our new owners face

who fits to their business model

it wont be DM just wishful thinking on my part
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How about inventing a new stucture with Keithie as boss assisted by both Damian and Uncle Les, that should work!
  • Options
    We all admire Damian, and can see his coaching qualities. Therefore surely the best move would be promotion to first team Coach under a wise old head, with Peacock and Wise perhaps in the frame. What about Lennie ?
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Looking at the other clubs in the top 8, Brighton, Bournemouth and Huddersfield all have a manager who is doing very well in his first job. Peterborough have just brought Ferguson back who did well with them, was also his first job. Southampton have Adkins, did a very good job in this league with Scunthorpe, his first job in English football (also managed Bangor in Wales years before in the mid 90s). MK Dons are 8th with Karl Robinson in charge, also his first job. Further down the league, Andy Scott is in his first job at Brentford. I'm sure there must be a few more good examples. Leeds and Norwich got promoted last season with young managers.

There are no doubt some coaches and former players out there who will become good managers given the right opportunity. Problem is there are plenty that would struggle.

Not saying Matthew is the answer, another young coach might be. Other clubs are giving young coaches a chance as the manager and it works for them. I suppose the difference is a lot of those clubs are set up for League One football and can afford to take the risk.
  • Options
    How is any young coach ever going to get experience as a manager if everyone only wants to hire someone who has experience as a manager? And let's face it, most managers with experience who are available are going to be managers who have failed somewhere and are back in the marketplace. I've seen a lot of Damian Matthew's work and the results of that work and I'd rather try him out and let him gain experience with us than give the job to some bloke who's been dumped by another club.
  • Options
    Could DM work as an assistant manager , at least he might be able to install the 1st team with a sense of purpose in their play , so they are not frightened to shoot at goal , pass and move , show plenty of passion for the shirt , anyone that can install those values ticks my boxes.
  • Options
    NO NO NO
  • Options
    Boogica , do you think we'd be dropping a big clanger by appointing DM ( ie too much of a gamble?)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mendonca In Asdas[/cite]Boogica , do you think we'd be dropping a big clanger by appointing DM ( ie too much of a gamble?)

yes i do all the players know him and his personality we need someone to come in who isnt all nicey nicey and kick their arses.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Nadou[/cite]How is any young coach ever going to get experience as a manager if everyone only wants to hire someone who has experience as a manager? And let's face it, most managers with experience who are available are going to be managers who have failed somewhere and are back in the marketplace. I've seen a lot of Damian Matthew's work and the results of that work and I'd rather try him out and let him gain experience with us than give the job to some bloke who's been dumped by another club.

You know the guy probably better than most of us.

Is he likely to command the respect of first teamers given that most of his work has been with the academy?

After the Les Reed fiasco that would be my big concern.
  • Options
    Is he likely to command the respect of first teamers given that most of his work has been with the academy?

After the Les Reed fiasco that would be my big concern.[/quote]

I can't answer that question. But would the first teamers respect someone who they know has been kicked out from elsewhere?

And Boogica - why do you think he is all 'nicey nicey'? Do you know him? Have you seen him at work with players? Or are you just unswervingly convinced that we need a man of iron from somewhere who will come in and 'kick arse'? Like who?