Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++2010/11 Takeover complete - Owners unknown, Michael Slater and Tony Jimenez fronting+++

Comments

• Options
    We really are a demanding lot - I appreciate the committed football fan’s relationship with their club is very personal but I doubt many of us would make similar demands for information of the companies we work for - some of the inquisition in relation to this takeover borders on paranoia.

This club (no matter the reasons or who is responsible) has been in decline for too long and the former owner’s were no longer in a position to produce either the stability needed to halt that decline let alone provide the foundation for the club to move forward.

To their immense credit the former owners did show with the right approach the club was able to secure the opportunity to play at and survive at the highest level (whilst securing the associated revenues) of domestic football.

In terms of probably minimal capital outlay and the assumption of modest contingent liabilities the new owners have secured the clubs assets with the opportunity to secure PL revenues. One can but assume they have done so with full knowledge of, and the capability to meet/fund short term trading losses. Indeed in certain circumstances such trading losses could be a positive advantage.

Issues raised concerning the stadium, the academy and fan interaction are entirely valid but for me each of those is a matter of good business practice.

At this point I am not sure there are any grounds to question the business practice of any of the new names on the block or those who may or may not sit behind them. How they move forward will be the key – it was ever thus.

In simple trading terms the clubs appears to be in a whole lot better place than it was 24hrs ago. I suggest we all enjoy that - Happy New Year!

Grapevine49
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Back to ya mate

never know son might get 18 holes wth 1 of our new owners at the london club next year?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite].

What was that, Ray? I blinked and missed it.

:o)

Happy new Year Oggy,
    To many dry Sherry's mate!
    I posted in the wrong thread.
    I haven't got over the shock of being taken over by the 'Slaters'
  • Options
    Happy New Year, TCE!

I guess your party has started already .......see you next year!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: boogica[/cite]things will get better absolutely no doubt about it really do believe from what i was told today these guys are fronting this the bigger fish are in the background happy new year to addicks fans and especially all lifers ,but a big happy new year to NSS , NLA ,ROBBO ON THE THE WING, and to all who know me.[/quote]

Add you mate your company is one of the reasons I have been going the past 25 years.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Airman Brown[/cite]A few people have made reference to new owners paying off debts. I think this is a bit of a misunderstanding of the club's position - as far as I know the main liabilities are those to the former directors, which only fall due if the club reaches the PL again, and the mortgage on the north stand. It would make no sense to pay either off, unless you had to do so.

The reason investment is needed is because the club cannot pay its way in League One and cannot cut its costs to a point where it would break even. It needs someone to give it the financial clout to move forward and to compete when it regains Championship status. If and when it returns to the PL then there is an opportunity for the owners. Obviously if you can buy a PL club while it is in League One then you are likely to do well.

It's far too early to know what today's news means in the long term. People can be on the board and have no influence whatsoever, as was the case in the recent past, but you can and should cling on to Varney's involvement as executive vice chair as an encouraging sign. I think the chances of us escaping this godforesaken division in short order have increased dramatically and if nothing else I am delighted about that.

Read people. Our Airman is well connected and he speaks wisely (no pun intended)

Correct. He's both well-connected and - as we all know - a very intelligent analyst and activist in all things Charlton, going back decades to when he was on the outside rather than the inside.

What he says about the board is particularly perceptive, I think. Those drawing comfort from Murray's continuing ''role'' are probably deluding themselves; it's a purely ceremonial function. But PV is definitely still an important player and where the true element of continuity with our best traditions lies.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: boogica[/cite]things will get better absolutely no doubt about it really do believe from what i was told today these guys are fronting this the bigger fish are in the background happy new year to addicks fans and especially all lifers ,but a big happy new year to NSS , NLA ,ROBBO ON THE THE WING, and to all who know me.

Add you mate your company is one of the reasons I have been going the past 25 years.

likewise son as i said to nla maybe 18 holes with the new owners could be on the agenda in the new year ?
  • Options
    Just spent ages writing a whole load of stuff on this takeover and when I read it I realised I had changed my opinion about three times. The truth as I see it is that we stillmhave no idea. If we feel we are mining forward over the next twelve months then we will have a real idea about the new owners. Apart from ghat we know zip. Bye the way I am pissed. Happy new year lifers.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]right now for the important news

20% automatics 70% play offs 10% what a waste of time those new owners are we're still in this dogshite league
    I make it

25% automatics 55% play offs 20% dogshite
  • Options
    Happy new year to everyone that knows me and let the good times roll.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: fatrob[/cite]Happy new year to everyone that knows me and let the good times roll.

Are you Rob Elliot in real life?
  • Options
    Better than him plus look better in pink.
  • Options
    Not having read much of the thread or having any insider knowledge whatsoever...

Relieved it's all finally done and delighted to have someone at the helm who appears to grasp the true Charlton concept, and has kept three genuine CAFC types on board. The quotes from MS are sensible, measured, and encouraging, without pretending he's the new Messiah (or hopefully a very naughty boy). Nothing too flamboyant; just solid vision hopefully backed up with enough cash to compete without alienating anyone. As mentioned elsewhere, we've already moved forward just by staving off administration. Personally I feel a sense of measured excitement at continuing the long journey back that prudent balanced management by Parky has set in motion.

Bring it on!
  • Options
    I think Parky with some £££ will make a great manager! Roll on Transfer window
  • Options
    First Sainsbury.Now this mob.

We big in Switzerland or summit ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: fatrob[/cite]Happy new year to everyone that knows me and let the good times roll.

Are you Rob Elliot in real life?

now thats funny

[cite]Posted By: fatrob[/cite]Happy new year to everyone that knows me and let the good times roll.

and to you buddy hope to see you against swindon love to to karen and the kids
  • Options
    Does Jimenez play golf for a living.....?
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    found this on the web hope it answers the question of weather tj is a "front man" for zabeal investments

The Guardian, Wednesday 30 January 2008 Article history

The revelation that Tony Jimenez had landed the post of vice-president (player recruitment) at Newcastle United brought a degree of incredulity within the English game yesterday. Surprise was articulated in expletives while a recurrent theme was that Jimenez might be a "good bloke" but where was his football background? "I'm amazed that he has been entrusted with player recruitment," said one agent. "He knows nothing about football."

Jimenez, an executive season-ticket holder at Chelsea who has built a network of contacts in football, men whose knowledge cannot be questioned, would argue that his skills lie elsewhere. The 42-year-old would fall down if an old professional asked him to "show us your medals" but when he opens up his black book and dials numbers throughout Europe, he makes things happen.

A fixer in the mould of Pini Zahavi, the so-called super-agent, Jimenez is essentially a businessman and agent. He used to be a director of Casa Sports Holdings Ltd, a sports management and promotion company, whose clients have included Celestine Babayaro, the former Chelsea and Newcastle defender. Jimenez moved and shook in the international transfer market before it exploded into a multimillion-pound industry. There are few people he cannot reach and his likeability and capacity to get things done have helped him to win the trust of prominent people.

They do not come much more prominent than Mike Ashley and Paul Kemsley, the Newcastle owner and the former Tottenham director, who are lifelong friends and have welcomed Jimenez into their circle. While Ashley made his fortune in the retail business, it has been property for Kemsley and here Jimenez has much in common. He is a millionaire because of a series of property developments, which have included hotels and golf courses in Spain and Dubai. The trio have worked on business deals and in football.

Jimenez was born in Brixton, south London, and lives in Kent but he comes from a Spanish family, who hail from Seville, and his fluency in Spanish and knowledge of the city of Seville saw him play a part in Tottenham's move for Juande Ramos. He also helped to install Gus Poyet as Ramos' Tottenham assistant. He forged a friendship with Poyet when the Uruguayan was at Chelsea, having entered from the fringes to become a recognisable face at Stamford Bridge. He became close not only to Poyet but also to Dennis Wise. He is described as "one of the lads". Alongside his friend Wise, Newcastle's new executive director of football, the middle man has moved to become the main man.

hope this was helpful

personally i think zabeal investments own us and we are going all the way to the top
  • Options
    im happy. Since Curbs left i've had the feeling that the club has had a distinct lack of connections / ITK type stuff within football. I've noy articulated that too well but this seems to have all the right ingredients - sharp operators on the board, well connected to some big names in football with the possibility of serious dough in the background. Give me the Wise, Poyet, Jiminez gang over the Dowie, Phil Chapple, Pardew and an african agent gang anyday. Couldn't give a monkeys if they've all got a bit of 'previous' in the form of Chelsea and Millwall. If they take us back to being a bit of a force rather than a bit of a mug, i'm all for it.
  • Options
    First job go get poyet.

Second job go get Austin and the chesterfield striker.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2010
    Spooky. Logged on to post about Jimenez and Poyet's relationship to find a few people just done the same.

Just got texts from a mate who know's Jimenez through work(accountancy firm) and who told me a couple of weeks ago that Jimenez was involved. saying that Jimenez and Poyet are best mates and to expect Poyet to be our manager.

He may well just be putting 2 and 2 together but he's got 1 out of 2 things he told me right so far.
  • Options
    Dont forget young Poyet is a Charlton player.
  • Options
    the first chance i've had to write anything all day, so my thoughts are that the financial stability along with the plan to take the club forward (or 'back' you might say to where we fell from) on a steady basis is definitely good news. I can't believe (well I can actually) that there are still some here who are looking into the negative side of it with the 'why are they investing in us' and 'whats the sweetener'. So what! We 're getting investment ffs , i'm not going to analyse too deeply on the deal, but I can't see any 'bad news'.

I would anticipate some transfer activity in january to help our promotion push, but we still need the current squad/management and any potential new players to do the business on the pitch, not just the moneymen. Come on you addicks!!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Lincsaddick said this on December 3rd - seems spot on to me on both points he made.

Finances? .. structure your companies in the right way and a football club is a good loss leader against tax on profits from your 'real' business interests. You own Redrobin Supermarkets and make a profilt of (say ) £30 million on which you owe tax of (say) £5 million. CAFC which you also own makes a loss of (say) £2 million. The CAFC loss will be offset against your tax liability. So you have the prestige of owning a football club which owns a large property in London (the Valley), you can entertain your business contacts, rub shoulders with professional sportsmen, impress your staff and a lot of lovely young ladies, get brand loyalty from the loyal fans who will buy from Redrobin supermarkets and rrs.com.uk online, hire and fire as many managers as you feel like and the taxpayer helps you pay for it all.
    Think .. why does Mandarich continually buy only skint clubs? .. tax reasons.

Either do the above or register your companies in Zug, Switzerland in which case no-one will ever know your business dealings.

Slater acts as the in-house legal consultant and financial controller of the Rose Trust based in Zug.
  • Options
    The Poyet/Jiminez connection is interesting.

Steve Brown, one of Poyet's assistants, spoke on commentary the other night as if he knew exactly who was taking over and how much money the new owners had to spend.

The usual high-falutin' mob came on here telling us he was an ignoramus who knew nothing. Well, guys,is it possible you were wrong and - heaven forfend - Brown knew more than you did?

Brown also reckoned Benson was a disaster and said we had no chance of promotion unless we sign a decent striker in January. Again, I can't help thinking he probably knew something about Jiminez's intentions in that department and Mr Benson will probably soon find himself warming the bench. Or possibly even someone else's bench, if a buyer can be found ...

Finally, if Jiminez wants to strengthen the coaching staff with someone the Charlton fans respect, who better than Steve Brown? Indeed, it's not impossible that very conversation had already taken place between them before Wendesday night's match...
  • Options
    i think after the scoop saga best you keep a low profile
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]
    The usual high-falutin' mob came on here telling us he was an ignoramus who knew nothing. Well, guys,is it possible you were wrong and - heaven forfend - Brown knew more than you did?

That's a rather crass and classless couple of sentences. I'm surprised.

If I didn't know better I'd say you were deliberately looking to provoke a reaction.
  • Options
    kust landed in melbourne totally fooked...

and weve been bought out and we only know who the new chairman is but we dont know where or who the owners are or there worth...

mysterious stuff indeed...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]i think after the scoop saga best you keep a low profile

Pray tell us more, young Nolly...
  • Options
    I couldn't help but notice that Michael Slater said "I think it's well known that the club has significant debts, so clearly THE NEW OWNERS will be responsible for managing those debts," Note this is a third person statement! Wouldn't you have been more likely to say 'WE' or 'WE AS THE NEW OWNERS'? Possible evidence of a conspiracy? Perhaps! Maybe there was someone from Zabeel on the grassy knoll?....