Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Deon Burton has signed for a team in Azerbijan

edited July 2010 in General Charlton
Former Derby striker Deon Burton has signed for Azerbaijan side Gabala, who are managed by former Arsenal captain Tony Adams.
Jamaican international Burton, 33, was Charlton’s top scorer last season and netted over 120 goals in more than 500 appearances in England

Comments

• Options
    Random
  • Options
    So much for signing for the best team he possibly could before he retired.
  • Options
    Odd move, thought he'd of moved to another English team.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Amazed at this! Never ever thought he was coming back to us but could he have got a more far flung European outpost? Its a sad day if a club of that staure can offer more wages than us!

Suspect this may end in tears.

*Edit* Just had a quick google and it looks like they have a sugar daddy. Adams is on a reported 1m a year. New stadium being built. Big push for european football.

Maybe we can sort out a friendly! That would be an awayday and a half.
  • Options
    Dodgy Russian money - he'll get top dollar there to retire with

Must admit though, wouldn't tempt me to go there!
  • Options
    edited July 2010
  • Options
    Random x2!
  • Options
    You gotta love that.

Hilarious!!
  • Options
    I thought he still lived in the midlands and wanted to move for personal reasons ( similar in the other direction to Jackson ) and a two year contract. I suspect he will be on big money.
  • Options
    they must have offered mega-money to have persuaded him to go there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'd always hoped he would stay, as unlikely as it looked.

Even more unlikely though was that he'd end up in Azerbaijan!! Unbelievable.
  • Options
    Shame though, he was a huge player for us last year imo
  • Options
    LOL.............words fail me
  • Options
    Azerbaijan is in the Midlands?

Honestly, is he that hard up that he has to chase a pound note out there?

His agent must've done the best selling job in history.

Maybe he could take Akpo and Llera with him??
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    If I lived in the midlands I'd want to move to Azerbaijan for personal reasons too....or Gaza, or the Antarctic, whatever.

Good news about Dailly though. Should have a halfway decent defence for this league next year if him and Fortune can avoid getting crocked...
  • Options
    Ah good luck to him. He'll earn a nice nest egg before he retires, so who can blame him.
    He's due a hernia op any time soon which could put an end to his career.
    Liked him as a player for us. Good luck!
  • Options
    I hope he likes the food. We should rename him Deon Borat
  • Options
    Hmmm, how long before Adams gets the sack and the new manager comes in and wants to get rid of Burton?

Good luck to Deon collecting his money if that happens.
  • Options
    Why would you want to live in Azerbijan? What can there be possibly to do in Azerbijan?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: siblers[/cite]Why would you want to live in Azerbijan? What can there be possibly to do in Azerbijan?

Wrestle with other men wearing leotards?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Odd move but probably not bad for him fiscally. Good luck to him, I thought he was decent for us and would have liked him around for another year but it was not to be. Will be back in England with Walsall in January!
  • Options
    Spot on there Pilchard. Cant see him lasting til Christmas.
  • Options
    If they have a sugar daddy and are offering good money to attract players and push for Europe why on earth do they want to sign Deon Burton?!
  • Options
    So Tony Adams seems to have gone for a Burton.
  • Options
    When they said a club in Europe I didn't expect that.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/profiles/tony-adams-a-mysterious-tycoon-and-their-grand-plan-for-smalltown-azerbaijan-1971212.html

I remember the news not long ago about Adams going there. There's a long term plan for them to play Champions League football within 10 years. Looking at that the club was only founded five years ago. Gary Stevens who used to coach here is working with him.
  • Options
    Good luck to him, a much undervalued player, his departure along with Bailey to Boro means we've lost our two highest scorers from last season. We desperately need now to get in a couple of strikers.
  • Options
    Parky knows a goal scorer is going to be the main signing we need. I just hope and pray he pulls one out the bag and I have a funny feeling he will find one. Otherwise gazza doc will be playing up front
  • Options
    Very Strange one for me i seem to remember him after the game against Norwich wandering the pitch with several kids i presume was his now i can understand a single man going out there for the last buck but would you really take yourkids out there?
  • Options
    How Odd! Charlton must have got rid of him, I doubt he would leave us and unsettle his family to do that. Obviously no other club here wanted him
  • Options
    Bet his wife & Kids are happy.