Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest Films

Comments

• Options

Wind River

Wind River is a film that seemed to pass everyone by when it got it's theatrical release back in September . I'm not sure if that's because it is a Weinstein film and Harvey had a little bit more on his plate than promoting it ?!
    It's also won awards for the most overlooked film of 2017 so I fully expect it to be talked about more now it has been released for home viewing.
    It's the story of a ranger who discovers the frozen body of a young Native American woman in an Indian Reservation. She turns out to be the best friend of his teenage daughter, who died a few years earlier under mysterious circumstances. Although the tribal authorities get involved in the investigation, the FBI also sends in rookie agent to investigate.

This is the second film in a row I have watched that involves Native Americans dealing with death and the grief that comes with it ( the other was Hostiles ). This is the better film of the two in my opinion.
    It's very atmospheric and you really do feel the harshness of the environment these people have to deal with.
    This is probably Jeremy Renner's best performance to date as the dad who is still dealing with the death of his daughter but I was not totally convinced that Elizabeth Olsen was the best choice for an FBI agent.
    Overall I really liked this and I recommend it if you haven't seen it yet.

8 out of 10

https://youtu.be/s7WuKdVhrmA
  • Options
    Cheers @Bedsaddick. I had this on my watch list but it disappeared from my local Picturehouse in a flash.
    Will make sure I catch up with it on your recommendation.
  • Options

Wind River

Wind River is a film that seemed to pass everyone by when it got it's theatrical release back in September . I'm not sure if that's because it is a Weinstein film and Harvey had a little bit more on his plate than promoting it ?!
    It's also won awards for the most overlooked film of 2017 so I fully expect it to be talked about more now it has been released for home viewing.
    It's the story of a ranger who discovers the frozen body of a young Native American woman in an Indian Reservation. She turns out to be the best friend of his teenage daughter, who died a few years earlier under mysterious circumstances. Although the tribal authorities get involved in the investigation, the FBI also sends in rookie agent to investigate.

This is the second film in a row I have watched that involves Native Americans dealing with death and the grief that comes with it ( the other was Hostiles ). This is the better film of the two in my opinion.
    It's very atmospheric and you really do feel the harshness of the environment these people have to deal with.
    This is probably Jeremy Renner's best performance to date as the dad who is still dealing with the death of his daughter but I was not totally convinced that Elizabeth Olsen was the best choice for an FBI agent.

8 out of 10

I really appreciate your film reviews. You and Jimmy85 seem to mostly view stuff the same as me and form similar opinions.

As soon as I read about Wind River it ticked a couple of boxes in my head. I've been told it's got a similar feel to Hell or High water which I thought was brilliant. Once it appears on digital download if it hasn't already I will be watching this
  • Options

Wind River

8 out of 10

Saw this at the cinema - very well acted and definitely got over how harsh the environment is. A very troubling story so can understand why it had limited box office appeal.

I thought Elisabeth Olsen suited the role of an agent who was out of her depth - it got over the point of how the FBI viewed the investigation.
  • Options
    Trafficked.
    Very powerful film about girls trafficked into the sex industry, found myself hating any of the male cast.

• Options
    Tried to watch "The Serious Man" tonight - an old Coen brothers film. But gave up as it was really dull. Maybe funnier if you are more connected to Jewish culture? Should I have persevered?
  • Options
    T_C_E said:

Trafficked.
    Very powerful film about girls trafficked into the sex industry, found myself hating any of the male cast.

Will look out for this one.
  • Options
    T_C_E said:

Trafficked.

Where did you see this @T_C_E?
  • Options
    It's available on a foreign stream.
  • Options
    Saw Darkest Hour on Friday. Thought it was excellent, hope Oldman gets the Oscar for best actor. Two disappointments were the Tube scene, which was cringe inducing, and discovering the typist wasn't Gemma Arterton!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The post, zzzz pretty dull film, don’t get the hype, yes it’s got some big names in it, Hanks and Streep, but about as exciting as watching a 1-0 man united Mourinho win on the telly.

Oh I forget to mention it was about a newspaper(s) publishing / not publishing government secret papers about the Vietnam war, cover ups and rigged elections, which sort sounds interesting finding out about, but is about exciting as opening the post through your letter box in the morning, sorry I’m not a fan.
  • Options

The post, zzzz pretty dull film, don’t get the hype, yes it’s got some big names in it, Hanks and Streep, but about as exciting as watching a 1-0 man united Mourinho win on the telly.

Oh I forget to mention it was about a newspaper(s) publishing / not publishing government secret papers about the Vietnam war, cover ups and rigged elections, which sort sounds interesting finding out about, but is about exciting as opening the post through your letter box in the morning, sorry I’m not a fan.

Thanks!

I will skip this one tomorrow and go see "Phantom Thread" with DDL.
  • Options
    Carter said:

Finally got a chance to watch the new Kingsman film.

I loved the first one, this one. I enjoyed it as it's pretty hard not to purely for the effects, humour and camera tricks. However, this is the first time I've seen Julianne Moore in anything where I didn't like her, she was trying to do what Samuel L Jackson did in the first one and fell a bit short.

I really hope they do another one but I'm not sure where they go now.

7/10

Yeah I agree with this review. Have heard they may be going for a spin off of the Statesman rather than a third one at the minute.
  • Options
    Not new but saw Kong- Skull island 8/10 really impressed, never really was looking to see it but thought was a great film. Action packed, some bits not believable but still easy to watch.
  • Options
    edited January 2018

Jigsaw

It's funny how time makes you forget. When I watched the trailer for Jigsaw I was kind of excited for the return of our resident engineering maniac John Kramer but because it's has been seven years since the last Saw movie I had forgotten my thoughts at the end of the last film and that was why make more ? Having seen this, those are still my thoughts.

This is the 8th film of the Saw franchise and sadistic serial killer Jigsaw is back to his old tricks, despite his apparent death a decade earlier. As his new victims fight to survive his twisted games, the police must solve Jigsaw's strange clues and deal with the improbability of his return .

There have been eight Harry Potter movies and there are eight Saw movies and I've seen none of the former and all of the latter. That says more about me than anything else.
    This is not the worst of the Saw films but that's damning it with faint praise. There is absolutely nothing new to see here which might please ardent fans but I struggled with it at times. It's only ninety minutes long yet it still felt too long.
    It's not scary but it makes up for it with the gore and the way they got around the fact that John Kramer was already dead was very clever.
    Hopefully that's the end of his story now but I somehow doubt it very much.

5 out of 10

https://youtu.be/vPP6aIw1vgY
  • Options

Not new but saw Kong- Skull island 8/10 really impressed, never really was looking to see it but thought was a great film. Action packed, some bits not believable but still easy to watch.

I LOL so hard with this scene. Cole wants to save them by sacrificing himself, hoping the monster will eat him and the grenade will kill it.... then this happens... hahahaha!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=uX413FJbHmo
  • Options
    Suffered the latest Pirates of the Caribbean film last night on Sky. Absolute crap. They really need to knock these films on the head now
  • Options

I LOL so hard with this scene. Cole wants to save them by sacrificing himself, hoping the monster will eat him and the grenade will kill it.... then this happens... hahahaha!

Watched it tonight and thought it was awful.
  • Options
    Three billboards. Enjoyed it. Difficult in parts. Frances mcdormond is so talented. As is Sam Rockwell, really thought I’d seen him in previously films but he seems to have done a lot of crap films in the past that I’ve never seen. Keep thinking about it 48 hours on. Didn’t like woody’s wife. What accent was that? She was clearly Aussie trying to be Eastern European? Too young for him, thought it was his daughter to start with!
  • Options
    I see The Red Turtle has appeared on Amazon prime. Will be checking that out tomorrow.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Thanks!

Oh, was going to see The Post tomorrow. Will see what else is on....
  • Options
    Saw All the Money in the World about the kidnap of John Paul Getty's grandson - very interesting story and the film is very well paced. Christopher Plummer was excellent as Getty who comes across as quite unpleasant in the style of our own RD.

The film is well shot and the narrative keeps you involved. Good to see so many 70s Italian cars.

Worth a watch. 7/10
  • Options
    Watched three billboards last week, very good, very well acted

Watched Justice League last night, much better than Dawn Of Justice, corny in places, but does what it says on the tin.
  • Options

Three billboards. Enjoyed it. Difficult in parts. Frances mcdormond is so talented. As is Sam Rockwell, really thought I’d seen him in previously films but he seems to have done a lot of crap films in the past that I’ve never seen. Keep thinking about it 48 hours on. Didn’t like woody’s wife. What accent was that? She was clearly Aussie trying to be Eastern European? Too young for him, thought it was his daughter to start with!

Abbie Cornish @suzisausage Totally miss-cast as I mentioned when I saw it.....yep she looked far too young too albeit she is 35.
  • Options

Haha yeah that was funny, what a waste lol
    stonemuse said:

Watched it tonight and thought it was awful.
    Shame, i enjoyed it! perhaps no expectation might have added 1 to my ratings. always best way sometimes.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Thanks!

Oh, was going to see The Post tomorrow. Will see what else is on....
    Saw ‘The Post’ today and thought it was pretty good. A must see really for anyone who has an interest in politics over recentish times. Much of the subject matter still very much impacts on current events.

Also saw ‘All the Money in the World’ recently. Again very watchable and informative although not an entirely accurate reflection of actual events.
  • Options
    I enjoyed Darkest Hour but cringed throughout the underground scene. Great performance from Oldman
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Watched Dunkirk, the Christopher Nolan version, last night. First time I’d seen it since the cinema and enjoyed it again.

Also had an extra disc with nearly two hours of extras which is one of the best ‘extras’ discs I have seen.

Just watched it (1st time) very good film.
  • Options
    The Post was very good I thought. A good solid film, well acted and directed, a bit long perhaps, but enjoyable nonetheless.
  • Options

I enjoyed Darkest Hour but cringed throughout the underground scene. Great performance from Oldman

Just seen it - thought Oldman was superb. The underground scene was really naff.

Part of it filmed in Greenwich.