Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Joey Barton

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2017
    I wish I'd bet on every match this season, that they would finish 1-1...

The strange thing about his gambling, is that the sums are relatively small (for someone with plenty of money) so he hasn't gone down the Steve Clarridge route of betting larger and larger amounts. Maybe if he had lost a lot of money, he would have sought help sooner.
  • Options
    A fitting end to his career. Barton has gained to many headlines for a very average footballer he also seems like a complete twat!
  • Options
    Barton lost a total of £16,708.29 from the 1,260 bets that fell foul of the FA's gambling rules, having bet £205,172.79 over 10 years.

That's probably the equivalent of him losing half a weeks wages in 10 years.

What i'd like to know is (according to Barton) the account was registered in his name, his bank info, his address, so why did he go unpunished for so long?
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

He bet on himself to score and on his team to lose in some of his bets ffs

Of course he shouldn't have done it, but he wasn't playing in the games when he bet his team would lose.
  • Options

Barton lost a total of £16,708.29 from the 1,260 bets that fell foul of the FA's gambling rules, having bet £205,172.79 over 10 years.

What i'd like to know is (according to Barton) the account was registered in his name, his bank info, his address, so why did he go unpunished for so long?

In relative terms, he's quite a good gambler...
  • Options
    He made good points a out betting companies connections to football and the lack of action by FA to support players with addictions. Not in the know but the FA only seem to act when horse has bolted, nothing proactive.
  • Options

Yes - and what I can't understand is Betfair only informing the FA fairly recently when the new rules came in in 2014. At the very least his account should have been restricted to only allow non-football betting.
  • Options
    Oh the small Joey Barton violin is singing.
  • Options

Having read Joey's book I'd actually started to view him a bit differently. There was plenty of self reflection and admition of his problems. But ultimately actions speak louder than words and he's just let himself down again.

I'm not sure, the book was interesting but he made a lot of excuses from himself. Everyone makes mistakes but he's made too many, often with really bad consequences, to be anything other than a wrongun.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:

Having read Joey's book I'd actually started to view him a bit differently. There was plenty of self reflection and admition of his problems. But ultimately actions speak louder than words and he's just let himself down again.

I'm not sure, the book was interesting but he made a lot of excuses from himself. Everyone makes mistakes but he's made too many, often with really bad consequences, to be anything other than a wrongun.
    Agreed. I perceive him to be so accustomed to falling on his sword and saying he needs help to change, that he's in the habit of doing it now. He can do anything he likes as long as he apologises.

He knew he was breaking the rules for a consistent period of time, and not to a degree that implies he was hardcore addicted, he's just being a dick. There's a thousand things he can bet on, why do the one thing he's not supposed to? There's simply no excuse for that.

When you look at all he's done, and the amount of praise/ adulation/ money he's received despite it all, I can't help but feel he hasn't been punished enough. And he's a cretin for not recognising that.

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

se9addick said:

Agreed. I perceive him to be so accustomed to falling on his sword and saying he needs help to change, that he's in the habit of doing it now. He can do anything he likes as long as he apologises.

He knew he was breaking the rules for a consistent period of time, and not to a degree that implies he was hardcore addicted, he's just being a dick. There's a thousand things he can bet on, why do the one thing he's not supposed to? There's simply no excuse for that.

When you look at all he's done, and the amount of praise/ adulation/ money he's received despite it all, I can't help but feel he hasn't been punished enough. And he's a cretin for not recognising that.

Same as you and redarmyse7 I read his book and whilst my opinion of him was changed amd I found myself nodding along to a lot of his musings. But this latest episode has made me shake my head and think 'you plonker'

I would still recommend reading his book, it is far better and more interesting than 99% of other footballers stories which are like cardboard
  • Options
    I am inclined to think that the fact that he was doing something, he must have known, he shouldn't have done suggests that he assumed any punishment would insignificant. If he'd been fined half a weeks wages that wouldn't have made any real difference to his life.

This punishment, which I believe to be excessive, personally, is a message to the other players that believe that their money, their agent or their club can get them out of virtually anything. Without commenting on things I don't have the full details of there are so many rumors of players getting involved in incidents, that the average man on the street would be in court for, that seem to 'go away' due to their fame and/or wealth. If the FA didn't make an example of Barton then any player would not think twice about putting a bet on. I suspect they would now!
  • Options
    betting on a game you are playing in on your team to lose is clearly stupid.

any other bet though - I just don't see the problem, even if you are betting on the team you are playing for to win.
  • Options

any other bet though - I just don't see the problem, even if you are betting on the team you are playing for to win.

If he's betting on first scorer/ specific score lines etc in a game he's playing in, then of course it's out of order. Or let's say Burnley need to draw to stay up, but Joey has a bet on winning. Instead of taking the ball into the corner flag he decides he needs to shoot.

The easiest way to avoid the whole hornet's nest is to ban it entirely. Not really too much to ask given the rewards for having that job!
  • Options

Did he do that though? I don't think he did.
  • Options
    The issue comes if there is, for example, a bet on how quick the first throw happens and he kicks it straight out from the kick off.

Any of these permutations can be manipulated so it's best if they just don't bet at all.
  • Options
    Uboat said:

He bet on his team to lose. That can't be ok even if betting was allowed for professional footballers.
  • Options

Uboat said:

He bet on his team to lose. That can't be ok even if betting was allowed for professional footballers.
    He did bet on his team to lose yes, but not in games he was playing in. He explained in his statement that he did it out of anger at either being injured or not selected.
  • Options

Uboat said:

He did bet on his team to lose yes, but not in games he was playing in. He explained in his statement that he did it out of anger at either being injured or not selected.
    He broke the rules, cheated. So maybe you are correct but given that he broke the rules knowing betting is not allowed he is words might be taken with a pinch of salt.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Uboat said:

He broke the rules, cheated. So maybe you are correct but given that he broke the rules knowing betting is not allowed he is words might be taken with a pinch of salt.
    He broke the rules, but it's hard to say he cheated as he never bet against his team when he was playing.

• Options
    I have only skim read this page about the posts since his ban but I'm surprised that know one seems to have mentioned about him mentioning it being an illness. A gambling addiction like any other addiction is an illness and it seems that the FA have thrown him under the bus whilst not trying to treat the illness. Although totally different, Jake Livermore was (rightfully) let of a ban after failing a drugs test following a family tragedy, he still broke the rules about recreational drugs. I think a suspended sentence and having to seek help, attend classes would have been more reasonable.
  • Options

The issue comes if there is, for example, a bet on how quick the first throw happens and he kicks it straight out from the kick off.

Any of these permutations can be manipulated so it's best if they just don't bet at all.

The spread firms used to have a market 'time of first corner' - they stopped doing it when they had a flood on money selling a quote of say 45-50 seconds when it was hoofed out from the kick-off. If I recall there were a few dodgy West Ham games!!
  • Options

I have only skim read this page about the posts since his ban but I'm surprised that know one seems to have mentioned about him mentioning it being an illness. A gambling addiction like any other addiction is an illness and it seems that the FA have thrown him under the bus whilst not trying to treat the illness. Although totally different, Jake Livermore was (rightfully) let of a ban after failing a drugs test following a family tragedy, he still broke the rules about recreational drugs. I think a suspended sentence and having to seek help, attend classes would have been more reasonable.

And this is just it, he's not held anything back and I would encourage his kind of honesty. I hope he appeals and he is allowed to play football again. He didn't drop kick anyone I know but is this seriously worth taking someones career away? I appreciate Joey Barton for what he is and who he is. And I'd rather seen him given every opportunity to rid himself of any demons or at least earn a living as a professional sportsman whilst he tries to do so
  • Options
    He bet on himself to be first goal scorer. That absolutely affects the play of the game. He was also a set piece taker wasn't he?

"that was a speculative effort. Would have been far better crossing it"
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

The spread firms used to have a market 'time of first corner' - they stopped doing it when they had a flood on money selling a quote of say 45-50 seconds when it was hoofed out from the kick-off. If I recall there were a few dodgy West Ham games!!
    I didn't realise they' stopped taking those kind of bets. When I used to work in the City there was always at least one PC with Sporting Index open, and there were people there that could tell you the margins in just about anything. I never got into it myself buy I knew a few chaps that were, literally, thousands of pounds down at times. A very dangerous game to get into, if you'll excuse the pun!
  • Options

The argument is that betting, a presumably losing, your putting yourself in a position to be influenced by bookies to relieve you of your debt for some accommodation.

It's harder to do that in a team game, but red cards, penalties can all impact spread and novelty bets.
  • Options

I suspect that footballers, managers, coaches, pro cyclists, race horse trainers, jockeys, tennis pros, snooker players and all other sundry sports personnel who are prohibited from gambling to a greater or lesser extent by the rules of their sport .. simply get their mates or their mum to pop down to the bookies for them or set them up with a nice anonymous online account or two

All of them?
  • Options
    Uboat said:

sam3110 said:

He bet on himself to score and on his team to lose in some of his bets ffs

Of course he shouldn't have done it, but he wasn't playing in the games when he bet his team would lose.
    That, of course, is not the point. The point is that betting on a match involving a team for which he plays (whether he plays in that match or not) is strictly forbidden, and he will have signed an agreement not to place those bets. It is cheating.
  • Options
    Carter said:

And this is just it, he's not held anything back and I would encourage his kind of honesty. I hope he appeals and he is allowed to play football again. He didn't drop kick anyone I know but is this seriously worth taking someones career away? I appreciate Joey Barton for what he is and who he is. And I'd rather seen him given every opportunity to rid himself of any demons or at least earn a living as a professional sportsman whilst he tries to do so
    (Almost) any other player and I'd agree with you, but frankly this being Joey Barton I just can't. This is a relatively minor thing as it goes but this is a man with a long, long list of crimes and offences of various kinds and severity. Some of the things he's done before are truly reprehensible. Ask Ousmane Dabo if Barton deserves to have had as many chances to exorcise demons or earn a professional footballer's wage and I suspect the answer would be short and sweet.

I am not entirely unsympathetic to the view that a gambling addiction is an illness of a sort. However I am entirely and unapologetically completely unsympathetic to Barton in particular, and if that's hypocritical of me, so be it.