Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Thamesmead

I am considering buying a property in the Thamesmead area - quite near Crossway and the football ground. If anyone is familiar with the area, can they kindly let me know what it is 'like' please? I've only viewed the property once (daytime) and am considering viewing it again and visiting during the evening but would appreciate any insider knowledge in advance. I did search CL and saw a few posts related to the festival and it has left me feeling rather wary.

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2009
    where are you from / living now ?
  • Options
    Currently in Tulse Hill area
  • Options
    Frying Pan/Fire!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Frying Pan/Fire!

Thanks for that!! I'm starting to wonder where exactly it is safe to live nowadays in London...
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Frying Pan/Fire!

Sorry but that was such a Middle Class Snobs quote!
    I have not been to Thamesmead since I used to sail there in the late 70's. As for Tulse Hill, all it means to me is somewhere too far along th A205 ( South Circular), somewhere I had to go to or through when playing cricket at all those South London Bank sports grounds that weren't in Beckenham.
  • Options
    Of all the places to live in SE London, don't think I'd choose Thamesmead .......... no offence meant to anybody who loves living there!
  • Options
    No offense Chablis, i'm not aware of your financial situation / budget, but if you can avoid it mate, i would.
  • Options
    There is in fact an online map of crime in London:

Police Crime Map

If you want to check out the area this is a pretty good guide, you can select specific areas and specific crimes (burglary for example) so you can decide for yourself just how bad/good/decent an area is.
  • Options
    Thanks for the comments, I think! Is the issue related to the area in general or crime/gangs etc in the area? Tulse Hill is certainly not a haven of tranquility so I'm hoping to move somewhere that is at lease relatively safe.
  • Options
    Mate of mine lived there a few years ago. Where he was didn't seem too bad (I can't remember the address) but I don't think he could wait to move out.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley_floyd_red[/cite]There is in fact an online map of crime in London:

Police Crime Map

If you want to check out the area this is a pretty good guide, you can select specific areas and specific crimes (burglary for example) so you can decide for yourself just how bad/good/decent an area is.

Thanks, I'll take a look.
  • Options
    Hey, Chablis ....... don't really think they drink a lot of Chablis in Thamesmead ...... but then, what do I know? lol

Helpful suggestion, no 1 ....... you could always move to Chablis, nice town.
    Need a Plan B to get to The Valley, though.

;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Hey, Chablis ....... don't really think they drink a lot of Chablis in Thamesmead

Funnily enough, nor do I these days although I quite fancy a glass or two having read the comments!!
  • Options
    I live in thamesmead, it is so stereotyped, over by the football pitch is mainly where all the youths hang about but they don't cause no trouble I go to watch thamesmead every now and then one of my mates is a player it's a very good setup for kids etc I would move it's a friendly area
  • Options
    We lived and ran our business from Tulse Hill. There were only two places where we wouldn't accept work from, one was the Coldharbour Lane area and the other was Thamesmead. Getting work vans cracked open almost anywhere was a fact of life, just wasn't good business to turn possibilities into near certainties. I'd go with the frying pan/fire view.
  • Options
    I went down to Thamesmead a week ago and was surprised by the modern housing and pleasant enviroment, good shops and decent roads. A lot of investment and time has been invested in this area.
    This is an area I used to dread going to, and suffers from a poor reputation and all the social issues that so much of South East London and North Kent has suffered from for decades. As someone who despises how the council have ruined Woolwich town centre, destroyed a once vibrant decent working class area, and replaced it with proper transport infastructure, poor housing, anti business, and built poor housing post war, I am hardly Greenwich council's Number one supporter. In fairness the council have tried to reverse it's absurd policies and tried to work in partnership to try and realise it's heritage, community and enviroment in recent years. For someone who was born in Charlton, educated in Plumstead, and worked in Woolwich I like many others moved out to North Kent years ago, albeit to middle class Bexley village.
    If I was looking for an area to move to, I would not rule out considering this area and make up your own mind based on personnel visits and experience, something twenty years or so I would have wanted to have been paid to live in.
  • Options
    Thamesmead is built on the main flood plain for London. Regardless of whatever defences they put up it will flood if London is hit by a big surge.

Just drive along Eastern Way to see how it undulates due to continued subsidence.
  • Options
    Thamesmead is built on the main flood plain for London.
    I was told once that should The Thames ever threaten to breach the Barrier, the flood defences around Thamesmead would be blown and the area would be deliberately flooded to avert more serious damage upstream.
  • Options
    There lies the truth BDL and VFR..... The pressure on modern planning, has led to developers and councils encroaching on areas that once was restricted due to flood plains etc.Is the barrier not going to be redeveloped as it's remit was only for a certain time, pressumably based on the idea that would give planners time to develop other stratergies. defence systems.
  • Options
    I've lived in Thamesmead all of my life and it is no way as bad as anyone makes out. The problems are more over stage 1 and 2 (near the Bargepole Pub) but these are being sorted with re-development. I live in Crossways and have never had trouble. You do see groups of kids round the park at now now and again but they are not up to anything (prob doing the same thing you did as a kid).

As for the flooding, its true that if London was at risk, they would deliberatly flood Thamesmead but if you also take time to look around, all houses are build 6 to 8 foot above sea level. My garden has even got a little hill as the level is built up whih made playing football as a kid rubbish. Thamesmead has 4 man made lakes, 4 miles of canals and 52 tumps to take overflow, not to mention all the park land.

And no mater what anyone says, Thamesmead has had the most money pumped into redevelopment in the last 10 years, than anywhere.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Its like anywhere if go looking for trouble u will find it, lived near tavey bridge in thamesmead with my ex, had no trouble at all even from the travellers down the road the old saying you don't s#it on your own doorstep seems to ring true, only downer about thamesmead is when the sun is out and starts to cook the canals and the crap by the incinerator it can really stink.. hight of summer windows closed real shame, nice little golf course and driving range too.
  • Options
    Thank you all for your comments, they've been a great help. It is interesting that, according to the Police crime map, recorded crime for the area is average. I know that does not always give the full picture, but perhaps as was suggested, it is more of a case of the area having the fear of crime as opposed to real crime. Anyway, I will reserve judgment for the time being and have another look around the area next week.
  • Options
    Thamesmead is the fraud capital of Europe. I have seen this fact in an article, but can't recall where.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]Thamesmead is the fraud capital of Europe. I have seen this fact in an article, but can't recall where.

Thanks, just checked and seen that there were several cases of mortgage fraud and also bank card fraud. Here's a link to the card fraud if anyone else is interested.
    http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/2409427.thamesmead_is_number_one_for_bank_card_fraud/
  • Options
    Chablis - Are you buying or renting?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Blinkant[/cite]
    And no mater what anyone says, Thamesmead has had the most money pumped into redevelopment in the last 10 years, than anywhere.

That may well be true, but it's still a khazi that is best avoided like the plague.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]Chablis - Are you buying or renting?

I'm thinking of buying
  • Options
    Is it true that the police can seal off the entire Thamesmead estate just by closing two roads?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]Is it true that the police can seal off the entire Thamesmead estate just by closing two roads?

Probably

[cite]Posted By: chablis addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]Chablis - Are you buying or renting?

I'm thinking of buying

Where else have you looked?
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Keep a lookout for these guys though...
    cw003.jpg
    Anyone remember the filming of this when Thamesmead was being built...?