Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Any cyclists on here?..

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Can't believe this wanker of a barrister who was wearing a camera on his helmet.
    Got into a row with a motorist recently......(don't know who was to blame for the incident).....and the motorist lost his rag and threatened to kill him.....something often said with tongue very firmly planted in cheek when one loses ones rag......you of course don't mean it.
    He's had the guy nicked and fined £250 for making a threat to kill.
    True, I don't know all the facts but it sounds suspiciously to me that he was just waiting for someone (a motorist of course) to fall into his trap so he could get them nicked....not saying he actually 'manufactured or manipulted' the incident itself but filming the fella on a head helmet camera and dissing him to the cops......FFS what's it coming to.
    Take it on the chin Mr Barrister and move on.....fancy having the fella arrested and nicked......... what a paper hat!
  • Options
    Soundasaconsidered argument as always. If you think that threatening to kill someone, whether you know them or not, is normal behaviour....

As for the event, and as you say, you don't know any of the facts bar the outcome. Maybe read it first before commenting?

http://lydall.standard.co.uk/2012/01/court-victory-for-cycling-barrister-threatened-by-road-rage-motorist.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zWt1SYTlZU

As is so often the case it's the pathetic level of investigation by the policeman, and a pretty common pathetic level. An individual serving a suspended prison sentence for malicious wounding, threatening to kill someone is acceptable. The police reaction to violent crime, from violent criminals, is often pathetic before it even reaches the CPS.

• Options
    @Stone, I will be but am glad to say its a private organised trip by one of my cycling pals, so no silly amounts involved. There's 12 of us doing it and we're forking out for the cost of the trip out of our own pockets (ferry, accomodation, food & drink, eurostar home etc) so then any money we do raise can go straight to the charity. Its still ages away yet, so I will set a sponsorship form up nearer the time. We're hoping to organise a trip out to Holland or Belgium later in the year too for a weekend of cycling. Should be good :-)
  • Options
    I'm doing two rides this year... First is in June and is from Pau to Girona, over the Pyrennees - 5 days with my mates and I can't wait.

Second is in September, where I have entered this: www.thealpinechallenge.com - which sounds great, but slightly scary, as have never considered myself competitive..will be interesting to see how I get on. Aiming for Group 2 but likely Group 3 as no doubt most will be in their 20s (I'll be 42).

Trouble is I have had a fair few months off the bikes and am really struggling with weight and form at the moment. It's going to be a hard few months...

Safe cycling all
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Colin....it wasn't very nice but honestly did the guy mean it....well no he didn't and it's a term often used in a nonsensical way....ok as I say it's a bit daft but you have to consider really whether or not it's really meant....especially when someone has been angered by events. I notice that earlier in the footage neither of them could hear each other so maybe the driver was under the impression that he was being abused as well.....I honestly can't say.
    I've had it said to me a number of times over the years and when I've lost my rag I may well have even said it myself a few times, as I'm sure many of us have at sometime or another.
    Personaly I would have forgotten it more or less in an instant and certainly wouldn't have thought about going to the cops over such a trivial matter.....what a self righteous ponce. I bet the police weren't too happy about having to persue it either....though yes there is a law against saying it but each instance should be taken on it's merit surely. In some instances yes you may well take real notice if you felt genuinely threatened...in which case the law is there to protect you and rightly so.
    This guy is a vindictive little bastard as far as I can see and the driver not much better, I don't like either of them as a matter of fact.
    Though don't tell the barrister I said so............... as he might have me nicked for slander!
  • Options
    If you have to ask the best route ...i would not bother --sell your bike and use it towards a bus pass
  • Options
    Riding from Glasgow to edinburgh on sunday.

less than 50 miles (before getting lost) so should be fine...but meant to be cold and wet (quelle surprise). might turn round and come back depending on what we're feeling like.

really looking foward to it, haven't been out on the bike since sept for a variety of reasons.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Planning to do London to Brighton again this year and maybe London to Paris.

Hopefully I don't nearly get run over by a police van again.

If you do London to Bright look out for a 15 year old in a Charlton shirt being boy racerish and annoying people by overtaking them dangerously.
  • Options
    Done the London to Brighton last year , might do the great Kent
    http://www.bike-events.com/Ride.aspx?id=330
    or possibly the London to Southend , nothing too taxing
  • Options
    I like to do a ride down to Brighton every summer, but not with the BHF - that's not a ride it's a 50 mile traffic jam. I prefer mountain bikes so longer distances and group rides are tricky.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Through my business I sponsor a cyclocross rider, Ian Field, and he won the UK Championship earlier this month in Ipswich.

He's riding at the World Champs on Sunday in Belgium.

Check him out: www.ianfield.co.uk
    @Fieldycx
  • Options
    Done the London to Brighton last year , might do the great Kent
    http://www.bike-events.com/Ride.aspx?id=330
    or possibly the London to Southend , nothing too taxing
    I can recommend the Great Kent Ride. Did it last year and I'm assuming our club will be doing it again this year.

I done the BHF London to Southend route from Victoria Park a couple of years ago on a MTB with a couple of friends and that was a lovely picturesque route... http://connect.garmin.com/activity/9176374
    Our club done a ride to Southend and back last year which took a more direct route via the Dartford Tunnel... http://connect.garmin.com/activity/101471340

Southend is a reasonably good destination to head in from SE London as its fairly flat in between. The climbing involved in minimal. Any 50 mile loop from Bexley takes in the North Downs and at least 3,000ft of climbing.

I passed 500 miles for January yesterday. So thats 10% of my annual target of a minimum 5,000 miles done. Only racked up 4,500 in 2011.
    I'm doing two rides this year... First is in June and is from Pau to Girona, over the Pyrennees - 5 days with my mates and I can't wait.

Second is in September, where I have entered this: www.thealpinechallenge.com - which sounds great, but slightly scary, as have never considered myself competitive..will be interesting to see how I get on. Aiming for Group 2 but likely Group 3 as no doubt most will be in their 20s (I'll be 42).

Trouble is I have had a fair few months off the bikes and am really struggling with weight and form at the moment. It's going to be a hard few months...

Safe cycling all
    lol you'll be fine. Just keep off the Shortcake desert ;-) That Alpine Challenge looks awesome. Thats proper bigger boys cycling!
  • Options
    Been riding on cleats for about 6 months now. In the last couple of weeks I have started getting pain from my left achilies tendon. It only hurts when I ride. No problem walking or at any other time.

I've measured the cleats and they are even. As far as I can tell nothing has changed.

Anyone had this problem or have any thoughts on what might be causing it?
  • Options
    Sounds like ill fitting shoe not sure why it wd suddenly come on tho, an old injury?
  • Options
    Never had any problems with my achilies.

It only kicks in after I have been riding for 4-5 miles.

I've measured my foot position on the pedal and left and right are more or less the same. Maybe a mm in it.

Going to pop to local shop over the weekend and see what they think about the kleat set up.
  • Options
    Never had any problems with my achilies.

It only kicks in after I have been riding for 4-5 miles.

I've measured my foot position on the pedal and left and right are more or less the same. Maybe a mm in it.

Going to pop to local shop over the weekend and see what they think about the kleat set up.
    My knee was giving me a bit of pain over the weekend after a ride.

Spoke to my mate who works in the LBS, he recommend loosing off the cleats, not so that they're really loose, but so you can move them with your finger with a little resistance, then go out for a little ride; and they'll settle in the most natural position for you feet/legs. Think it's quite possible that what's most comfortable for you may not be exactly the same cleat position in each shoe.

In other news, cycled Glasgow to Edinburgh on Sunday. -1 degrees! In shorts, which was fine, but my feet were two blocks of ice. Going to have to get some overshoes...

• Options
    been riding to work and back (16 miles each way) a couple of times a week and its really shedding the weight. Do a bit of riding up and down hills as well locally. My mate is trying to talk me into riding to Paris in the summer but i'm not interested in torture - each to their own though - since injury playing football a few years back i've been piling on the weight as can only play once a week now - can't stand the gym but now i've 'found' cycling i'm hoping to see the back of my 38 inch trousers and get back to a more respectable 36/34. This week could be a tester what with the freezing weather.
  • Options
    been riding to work and back (16 miles each way) a couple of times a week and its really shedding the weight. Do a bit of riding up and down hills as well locally. My mate is trying to talk me into riding to Paris in the summer but i'm not interested in torture - each to their own though - since injury playing football a few years back i've been piling on the weight as can only play once a week now - can't stand the gym but now i've 'found' cycling i'm hoping to see the back of my 38 inch trousers and get back to a more respectable 36/34. This week could be a tester what with the freezing weather.
    That's interesting , I've been cycling for the past year now (done the London to Brighton) and also cycle to work 3-4 times a week , 14 miles each way , and was surprised when weigh this week have lost next to nothing ! might be my imagination but it seems like my upper body has bulked up (or it could be wishful thinking and i'm still a fat git )

• Options
    With the joys of cycling comes the downside, the maintenance. Was my daughter's birthday on Sunday so what with her living in Gravesend, plan was to leave early, cycle there and back so to go a 50 mile ride in as well as seeing her. Headed out through Bexley, Swanley then over Darenth Hill to Green St Green and down to Longfield and beyond. Plan was to head out to Meopham and Cobham before heading back to Gravesend from Shorne...but that all went very wrong on Green St Green when my rear shifter cable snapped. Didnt have a lot of choice but to manfully battle on with the gear I was stuck in. So spent nearly 3 hours replacing both shifter cables tonight. Was going to attempt to change my bar tape as well but will have to save that for tomorrow now. Nightmare but then saved myself a good few quid by doing it myself and I know it has been done properly.

@Clem, you may benefit from a fitting. Very expensive I know but they'll be able to tell you for sure how to correct your cleat positioning.

@Olster, serious respect cycling in shorts in this weather. I've not been out of my tights since beginning of November. Froze like hell in the fog on Sunday.

@Dan, if you're doing 32 miles a day now in this weather, you'd easily be able to do London to Paris in the summer/autumn.
  • Options
    @fadgadget, dont forget as your legs get stronger from the cycling, the muscle weighs more than fat. When you start, you'll lose weight, then you'll stabilize or maybe even put on a few lbs as the leg muscles build and then it'll start to come off again. I had exactly the same thing last year. Lost 2 stone then wouldnt budge from just over 15st for about 9 months but I'm burning fat from everywhere else on my body now. I've lost loads in my face and my chest is finally shrinking. Keep going and you'll see the results.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @fadgadget, dont forget as your legs get stronger from the cycling, the muscle weighs more than fat. When you start, you'll lose weight, then you'll stabilize or maybe even put on a few lbs as the leg muscles build and then it'll start to come off again. I had exactly the same thing last year. Lost 2 stone then wouldnt budge from just over 15st for about 9 months but I'm burning fat from everywhere else on my body now. I've lost loads in my face and my chest is finally shrinking. Keep going and you'll see the results.
    I'm enjoying it quite a lot , usually use the motorbike for work but that's staying under wraps in the ropey weather , I'm jumping on the cycle whenever i need to go anywhere , found a nice little app for the phone (mapmyride) ,its nice to see what mileage your doing, kind of spurs you on and gives you that little push when you see it logged.

• Options
    Took me ages to find the right shoes plus my feet are slughtly different sizes
  • Options
    Took my 2 boys down to Cyclopark at Gravesend on Saturday. Can't recommend it more highly.

The road track is 1.6miles long and very good, as is the bmx track.

Has so much to do down there for kids, opens up in May.
  • Options
    I'm enjoying it quite a lot , usually use the motorbike for work but that's staying under wraps in the ropey weather , I'm jumping on the cycle whenever i need to go anywhere , found a nice little app for the phone (mapmyride) ,its nice to see what mileage your doing, kind of spurs you on and gives you that little push when you see it logged.
    You might like the app called Strava in that case. It shows you where you've been but has the added bonus of having segments like sprints and climbs to complete against different people. I've been using it for a couple of months now and its great motivation.
  • Options
    Anyone interested in cycling safety should head over and back the Times Campaign for safer cycling

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/cyclesafety/
  • Options
    That's interesting , I've been cycling for the past year now (done the London to Brighton) and also cycle to work 3-4 times a week , 14 miles each way , and was surprised when weigh this week have lost next to nothing ! might be my imagination but it seems like my upper body has bulked up (or it could be wishful thinking and i'm still a fat git )

i also play football once a week, train (and join in) my kids team once a week and have been doing sit ups and press ups on the other days and have cut out snacking at work and eating anything after dinner and cut right down on the booze so it's not just the cycling but it has definitely been a major factor and i've lost almost a stone since the 6th Jan.
  • Options
    With the joys of cycling comes the downside, the maintenance. Was my daughter's birthday on Sunday so what with her living in Gravesend, plan was to leave early, cycle there and back so to go a 50 mile ride in as well as seeing her. Headed out through Bexley, Swanley then over Darenth Hill to Green St Green and down to Longfield and beyond. Plan was to head out to Meopham and Cobham before heading back to Gravesend from Shorne...but that all went very wrong on Green St Green when my rear shifter cable snapped. Didnt have a lot of choice but to manfully battle on with the gear I was stuck in. So spent nearly 3 hours replacing both shifter cables tonight. Was going to attempt to change my bar tape as well but will have to save that for tomorrow now. Nightmare but then saved myself a good few quid by doing it myself and I know it has been done properly.

@Clem, you may benefit from a fitting. Very expensive I know but they'll be able to tell you for sure how to correct your cleat positioning.

@Olster, serious respect cycling in shorts in this weather. I've not been out of my tights since beginning of November. Froze like hell in the fog on Sunday.

@Dan, if you're doing 32 miles a day now in this weather, you'd easily be able to do London to Paris in the summer/autumn.
    thanks, but i really don't want to - just not that into it.

• Options
    If anyone ever has a chance to try velodrome/track riding, I highly recommend it. Just back from my first attempt and I (and everyone in our group) absolutely loved it. Obviously the fixed gear takes some getting used to, but it's an exhilarating experience and although intimidating at first, it's fairly easy to pick up the basics and even get comfortable.
  • Options
    If anyone ever has a chance to try velodrome/track riding, I highly recommend it. Just back from my first attempt and I (and everyone in our group) absolutely loved it. Obviously the fixed gear takes some getting used to, but it's an exhilarating experience and although intimidating at first, it's fairly easy to pick up the basics and even get comfortable.
    I used to use the old Hern hill cycle track for school sports lessons , i thought it was great ! fixxed wheel feet strapped in , bombing round the banked oval track , hare and hounds , great days , out of interest is that track still there ?

• Options
    I used to use the old Hern hill cycle track for school sports lessons , i thought it was great ! fixxed wheel feet strapped in , bombing round the banked oval track , hare and hounds , great days , out of interest is that track still there ?

Still here. Still very much in use.