Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Congratulations Rob Elliott

edited April 2008 in General Charlton
On making your first team debut.

Local lad from Bexleyheath, and a Charlton fan to boot. Putting on the shirt of the club he supports, and pulling off a top draw save in the last moments must be what he's always dreamed of. Bet he is on cloud nine today.

Love seeing local lads like Elliott and Basey break through. Just hope to god that if they don't fully make it, they don't come in for a caning like some of the current first teamers do nowadays.

Comments

• Options
    I'll echo that - must be a dream come true for the lad.

Didn't he used to collect glasses in the Connie Club when he was a kid?
  • Options
    Hats of to the lad. I think we all as kids had that dream and its great when it happens as it brings those feelings back even if it is for only a moment.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Well done Rob living the dream we'd all love to be doing - even North Stand Steve.
  • Options
    Here Here , The boy done good, wasn't at all fazed by the occasion , didnt let us down. Given his chance and o boy did not let us down, was unlucky with the goal conceeded. At least two of his saves were if it had a been a prem keeper would have been well raved about. His gloves were a great momento for who ever got them at the end.
  • Options
    Know his old man really well, Charlton supporter, God he must be proud today.
  • Options
    Be good to cheer on one of us. At least we know he gives a sh1t.
  • Options
    If we're going to continue to big him up, then we're definitely going to have to learn how to spell his name correctly. I've seen 4 variations already..
  • Options
    Well done robb ellot........!?
  • Options
    He's one of our own, Robbie Elliot, He's one of our own.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Senpai said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35862192

Set to start for Republic of Ireland tonight. His second cap.

Well deserved, he's been good for Newcastle. My Newcastle supporting friends really rate him, say he's basically been the lone bright spot this year. He's definitely lost a bit of weight, and improved his kicking and distribution since he left us, which I thought was the weakest part of his game when he was here.

Don't suppose we have some sort of international cap clause in the transfer...?
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

Senpai said:

It'll be a quiet night for him. The rest of the team & the opposition are playing tomorrow!! :smiley:
    Clean sheet!

There must be another 50p in it for us
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Senpai said:

Well deserved, he's been good for Newcastle. My Newcastle supporting friends really rate him, say he's basically been the lone bright spot this year. He's definitely lost a bit of weight, and improved his kicking and distribution since he left us, which I thought was the weakest part of his game when he was here.

Don't suppose we have some sort of international cap clause in the transfer...?
    It's undisclosed.
  • Options
    IA said:

TelMc32 said:

Senpai said:

It'll be a quiet night for him. The rest of the team & the opposition are playing tomorrow!! :smiley:
    Clean sheet!

There must be another 50p in it for us
    Oh yes tomorrow.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    TelMc32 said:

Senpai said:

Clean sheet sorted. Do we get an extra 50p for that? @IA you mock the fee, but I bet we could hire another interim coach for a month on that money.

Edit: @IA looks like we made the same joke at the same time, great (or bored in my case) minds and all that... ;)
  • Options
    On a serious note, looking at the team called up by the Republic is a good reminder that Charlton have often struggled to hold on to young talent--this is not me endorsing the "come see the Premier League stars of tomorrow" model nonsense, just an attempt at perspective. We lost Randolph to Motherwell (what different times 2010 was) despite the fact that he was young and seemed to be pretty highly rated. I don't think we got compensation for him, but I might be wrong. We got a six figure fee for Eliot (I seem to recall it being around 600k with add-ons but could be wrong).

Arter definitely seemed to be highly rated, but left us for Woking, only to sign for Bournemouth a year later (don't think we got anything out of that, though I think Woking got compensation). I know he was coming off a broken leg and we were skint, but I think you get my point. Even as a mid-level Championship club, if we produce good enough young players other teams will come in for them, which is a blessing and a curse if you ask me.
  • Options
    Good on him and Darren Randolph,that season they were both loaned to Accrington to help them secure League status has proved invaluable as they now head to the Euros. About the same time as their former club find out when a visit to the Crown Ground/Wham Stadium awaits at this rate. Sums it up, but well done Rob and Darren, great products of a great youth system.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    SDAddick said:

On a serious note, looking at the team called up by the Republic is a good reminder that Charlton have often struggled to hold on to young talent--this is not me endorsing the "come see the Premier League stars of tomorrow" model nonsense, just an attempt at perspective. We lost Randolph to Motherwell (what different times 2010 was) despite the fact that he was young and seemed to be pretty highly rated. I don't think we got compensation for him, but I might be wrong. We got a six figure fee for Eliot (I seem to recall it being around 600k with add-ons but could be wrong).

Arter definitely seemed to be highly rated, but left us for Woking, only to sign for Bournemouth a year later (don't think we got anything out of that, though I think Woking got compensation). I know he was coming off a broken leg and we were skint, but I think you get my point. Even as a mid-level Championship club, if we produce good enough young players other teams will come in for them, which is a blessing and a curse if you ask me.

Arter was released by the club, as presumably the club didn't think he was good enough. A cock up, but all clubs have players that they release who end up doing well elsewhere, sometimes it's the spur of being released that drives the player on. Jamie Vardy springs to mind...
  • Options

SDAddick said:

Arter was released by the club, as presumably the club didn't think he was good enough. A cock up, but all clubs have players that they release who end up doing well elsewhere, sometimes it's the spur of being released that drives the player on. Jamie Vardy springs to mind...
    I could be wrong but I think he demonstrated a poor attitude with us. Certainly Pardew and Parkinson thought he was good enough
  • Options
    Rumour at the time was about Arter, Moutaouakil and mothers, in my memory anyway.

We didn't lose Randolph to Motherwell. I know I rated him at the time but Parkinson brought in Ikeme on loan when Elliott was injured. I still don't rate Ikeme, but that's probably just bitterness.

Can't believe how many lols I got for suggesting Ireland might win the Euros. It's possible they might bore the opposition to sleep...
  • Options
    IA said:

Rumour at the time was about Arter, Moutaouakil and mothers, in my memory anyway.

We didn't lose Randolph to Motherwell. I know I rated him at the time but Parkinson brought in Ikeme on loan when Elliott was injured. I still don't rate Ikeme, but that's probably just bitterness.

Can't believe how many lols I got for suggesting Ireland might win the Euros. It's possible they might bore the opposition to sleep...

I liked Randolph, so bringing in Ikeme was a slap in the face for him

Having said that, Ikeme has been the Wolves No 1 keeper for several years now, so clearly he's decent so it wasn't like certain keepers who have been sent to us from SL...
  • Options

IA said:

I liked Randolph, so bringing in Ikeme was a slap in the face for him

Having said that, Ikeme has been the Wolves No 1 keeper for several years now, so clearly he's decent so it wasn't like certain keepers who have been sent to us from SL...
    That's right, I remember it now. Thought it was very odd at the time. Wasn't Ikeme coming off a really long term injury? He is/was a decent champo player, but when you have a good young keeper in reserve...

With Arter, I know he had a very serious injury when he was 17 or 18, think it was a leg break, but could be wrong. Really, anything I'm trying to remember past yesterday or earlier today could be wrong. Curious to see if anyone else's memory is better.
  • Options
    Senpai said:

Surprised nobody has posted this before...Robbie starts tonight apparently!! :wink:
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

Senpai said:

Surprised nobody has posted this before...Robbie starts tonight apparently!! :wink:
    Two games in two days.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    TelMc32 said:

Senpai said:

Bloody hell that's two games in two days :smile:
  • Options
    Great news. I was slightly disappointed when he didn't play in last week's game because Randolph has only made a few appearances (mostly in cup competitions) for West Ham this season while Rob Elliot has been playing really well since last October and he's probably the best player in the Newcastle squad. They would have had less points by now without his excellent performances. I really hope he can be Ireland's first choice keeper in the Euro's. He deserves it. In the meantime, let's hope he does well tonight (meaning we don't jinx it :wink: ).
  • Options
    Well done Rob....your uncle Dave (RIP) would be a very proud man.