Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Congratulations Rob Elliott

Comments

• Best of luck to the Dilsh tonight. Just settling down for this one now. #COYBIG
  • Stretchered off.

Probably dazzled by the goalscorer's barnet
  • Not a great start for Rob, one down in 13 mins and he's carried off injured.
  • Looks bad. Was almost clutching the knee before he landed. Gutted for ya Robbie. Hope it's not as bad as it looks. Randolph on for him now.
  • 2-1 now to Ireland, 2 pens.
  • Soft one for the first, but Skrtel way too slow for Shane, definite for the 2nd one.
  • 2-2 ht McShane OG.
  • Injured his knee. Off to hospital for a scan. Hopefully it's not too serious and he can still make the tournament. Might finish off Newcastle's season though.
  • Oh good, just put him in my fantasy side for the weekend. Well done me.

Seriously though, hope he's alright. Don't Newcastle have Alnwick the younger on their books, brother of Alnwick the older, star of Sunderland sex tape?
  • All coming together lovely for our pal shay
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2016
    Who?
  • Injured his knee. Off to hospital for a scan. Hopefully it's not too serious and he can still make the tournament. Might finish off Newcastle's season though.

Newcastle fans must be shitting themselves. Definitely a big blow. Who's their third choice keeper? Anyway, I just hope he can make the Euros.
  • SDAddick said:

Oh good, just put him in my fantasy side for the weekend. Well done me.

Seriously though, hope he's alright. Don't Newcastle have Alnwick the younger on their books, brother of Alnwick the older, star of Sunderland sex tape?

He's at Port Vale now I think as Channel 5 made a big fuss about the Alnwick brothers playing against each other when Peterborough played someone.
  • Devastating news.... :(

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11678/10223011/newcastle-goalkeeper-rob-elliot-ruled-out-for-six-months

Newcastle United's Premier League survival hopes have been dealt a severe blow with the news goalkeeper Rob Elliot requires surgery on his injured knee and is out for a minimum of six months.

The injury has also ruled Elliot out of the European Championships.

Newcastle's club doctor Paul Catterson and his medical staff are set to carry out further MRI scans on Elliott on Wednesday when the player arrives back in the north east, although Elliot has been told the initial assessment shows he has injured his cruciate ligament and needs surgery.
  • Gutted for him.
  • Thats not going to help Elliot at all... If Newcastle do go down then they'll rely on Karl Darlow being the No.1, he might come back and even find Freddie Woodman ahead of him as well
  • Terrible news for the lad.

What is it with modern boots and knee injuries. Or other injuries, with Butland breaking his ankle, with nobody near him.

It seems these days that hardly any serious injuries are caused by contact with another player like they used to be in the old days
  • Terrible news for the lad.

What is it with modern boots and knee injuries. Or other injuries, with Butland breaking his ankle, with nobody near him.

It seems these days that hardly any serious injuries are caused by contact with another player like they used to be in the old days

Flimsy players not hardened by tough challenges?
  • Dazzler21 said:

Terrible news for the lad.

Flimsy players not hardened by tough challenges?
    Rob was going one way and dived the other way, was grabbing his knee before he hit the floor and the ball hit the net.
  • edited March 2016
    That's kind of my point, players seem flimsy these days.

Even back in the mid 90s when I started to watch football they could take a tackle or twist in ways that would make the knee pop etc for a modern player but they were fine...
  • Sponsored links:

• Really feel for him.

The chance to feature in the finals of an international tournament has been cruelly snatched away.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Even back in the mid 90s when I started to watch football they could take a tackle or twist in ways that would make the knee pop etc for a modern player but they were fine...

The likes of Bolder and Deano went for years without serious injury, whereas modern keepers get serious injuries far more often. It's got to be down to the boots and pitches, how the hell can Butland break his ankle just kicking the ball away?
  • Dazzler21 said:

I would argue this is first and foremost down to the pace of the game at international level, and especially at club level, increasing dramatically.
  • Dazzler21 said:

The likes of Bolder and Deano went for years without serious injury, whereas modern keepers get serious injuries far more often. It's got to be down to the boots and pitches, how the hell can Butland break his ankle just kicking the ball away?
    I blame the original Man of Glass - Chris Kirkland

Keepers just aren't made like they used to be

• He's a really good lad is Butland.

The Goalkeeping version of Chris Powell in some ways

• Elliot seems like a good guy. I like that he calls JJ skip after all these years. Not sure if JJ was even skipper when Elliot was here...?
  • SDAddick said:

Elliot seems like a good guy. I like that he calls JJ skip after all these years. Not sure if JJ was even skipper when Elliot was here...?
    Can't remember when JJ got the armband but I think it was after Dailly left in which case it was under Parkinson and Elliot was very much still around.

Either way, Elliot started the first few games of the League 1 winning season and Jacko was definitely skipper by then.
  • ::Doffs cap to the two of you::