Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Things you just don't 'get'

Comments

• Options
    Must admit, I heard all the hype about The Mighty Boosh, and thought I'd HATE it.

But I watched the first series and found it bloody funny!

Henry - there's nowt wrong with a bit of childhood nostalgia, even though it may be somewhat rose-tinted. You rarely get the sense of adventure / wonder as you get older.

You're right about 95% of *everything* being crap, tho ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: boggzy[/cite]

Henry - there's nowt wrong with a bit of childhood nostalgia, even though it may be somewhat rose-tinted. You rarely get the sense of adventure / wonder as you get older.

You're right about 95% of *everything* being crap, tho ;-)

Agree, the stuff that had impacted on you as a kid/teenager is always the most potent. Whatever comes later no matter how good will never seem quite as wonderful or exciting.
  • Options
    "the stuff that had impacted on you as a kid/teenager is always the most potent. Whatever comes later no matter how good will never seem quite as wonderful or exciting."

Very true Henry, though late winners v Palarse at Sellout are still VERY exciting, as they keep finding new ways to upset us.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Paddy7[/cite]"the stuff that had impacted on you as a kid/teenager is always the most potent. Whatever comes later no matter how good will never seem quite as wonderful or exciting."

Very true Henry, though late winners v Palarse at Sellout are still VERY exciting, as they keep finding new ways to upset us.

Defo in the 5%!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]
    Riscardo, my dear friend, garage was a term first coined in the sixties, to describe the kind of music the California "punk" bands were playing, check out the Pebbles Label.

Garage rock is a raw form of rock and roll that was first popular in the United States and Canada from about 1963 to 1967.[1] During the 1960s, it was not recognized as a separate music genre and had no specific name. In the early 1970s, some rock critics retroactively labelled it as punk rock. However, the music style was later referred to as garage rock or '60s Punk to avoid confusion with the music of late-1970s punk rock bands such as the Sex Pistols and The Clash.

There you go, so wasnt really referred to as Garage Rock until the mid 80's when the term Garage was already being used by the Paradise Garage lot.

Maybe they should have sat down and sorted it out
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Riscardo[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]
    Riscardo, my dear friend, garage was a term first coined in the sixties, to describe the kind of music the California "punk" bands were playing, check out the Pebbles Label.

Garage rock is a raw form of rock and roll that was first popular in the United States and Canada from about 1963 to 1967.[1] During the 1960s, it was not recognized as a separate music genre and had no specific name. In the early 1970s, some rock critics retroactively labelled it as punk rock. However, the music style was later referred to as garage rock or '60s Punk to avoid confusion with the music of late-1970s punk rock bands such as the Sex Pistols and The Clash.

There you go, so wasnt really referred to as Garage Rock until the mid 80's when the term Garage was already being used by the Paradise Garage lot.

Maybe they should have sat down and sorted it out

I would query that describtion of "garage" being coined with punk. Certainly Charles Shaar Murrey described the Clash as "the sort of Garage band that should go back to the garage and leave the engine running in 1976" thus inspiring "Garageland" on the first and best Clash LP.
  • Options
    Sudoku
    Mangement talk-"Blue sky thinking,Singing from the same hymn sheet,pushing the envelope,thinking outside of the box"
    How about SPEAK ENGLISH YOU C**T!!!!
    This whole Lady Di stuff...The driver stacked the car..she died..get over it!!!
    People who come to this country and then slag it off...if you don't like it here,you know where the fucking airport is!!!
    Lager
  • Options
    Pensioners shopping at the weekend

People with those mobile phone thingys who choose to shout their so called private conversations to everybody

Women at checkouts who hand over masses of vouchers from the deep echelons of their handbags/purses at the end of their shopping

Quorn

Assistant Managers being interviewed on MOTD
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Riscardo[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]
    Riscardo, my dear friend, garage was a term first coined in the sixties, to describe the kind of music the California "punk" bands were playing, check out the Pebbles Label.[/quote]

Maybe they should have sat down and sorted it out[/quote]

Intersting Rick, however I can personally vouch for the term from the early eighties, 'cos we were using it then, and Henry's story puts it even earlier.
    This is just like an episode of "Balderdash and Piffle", perhaps we should get Victoria Coren on the case...
  • Options
    The Garage Rock I used to do was pure shite. But it was a nice garage.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Quorn

Hmmmm, an interesting one. I didn't see the thinking behind vegetarian mince, sausages etc until a young girl put me in my place by saying it was really for people whom for dietary reasons could not eat meat (illness) not for hippies.
  • Options
    'If it were not meant to be
    Don't you think it wouldn't be'

Howard Jones, 1983
  • Options
    Jimmy, you're a fine charity game centre forward but my word could you elaborate on that. Just confused the hell out of me!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite]Women at checkouts who hand over masses of vouchers from the deep echelons of their handbags/purses at the end of their shopping

Mrs Addickted will not be happy with you peanut man.

MIDDLE LANE DRIVERS

I fecking hate the selfish, ignorant bastards. Sometimes I so wish I had a pair of Browning 303s in my front bumper.
  • Options
    One thing you can't knock the Germans for is middle lane driving they use the inside then move out to overtake and move back in again.

Drives (no pun) me mental too
  • Options
    It means, in other words, stop grumbling about all sorts of pointless, irrelevant bollocks, and worry about important stuff.
    Some of the comments on this thread are just plain daft. I often defend Golfie for example, but how can you criticise the no-smoking ban, on the grounds of democracy?

Besides, I missed a sitter in the charity match. Still not happy about it!

'Everything around us is natural, don't fight it'
    Howard Jones, 'Natural' 1983
  • Options
    Decaffinated Coffee
    Alcohol free lager
    Sugar substitutes
    I can't believe it's not butter
    Hoodies
    'Low fat' anything
    Women and cats
    Women and shopping
    Women and soap operas
    Women
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]One thing you can't knock the Germans for is middle lane driving they use the inside then move out to overtake and move back in again.

So do I.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]One thing you can't knock the Germans for is middle lane driving they use the inside then move out to overtake and move back in again.

So do I.

So you must be German - judging by the logic of this thread.
  • Options
    Maybe the middle lane drivers 'don't get' lorry drivers.
    Maybe quorn eaters 'don't get' meat-eaters.
    Maybe people who walk reading a book 'don't get' people who put a good book down.

If everyone were the same, the human race would cease to exist. That would be tidy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Absolutely, however if we didn't voice our differing opinions on what flicks one mans switch but not another life would also be a bit dull eh?

For example Medders would rather go to a game of rugger than to a game at the Valley, but thats his thing. Who are we to knock him?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite] Who are we to knock him?

It would take a lot of money for me to 'knock' Medders.
  • Options
    fao Jimmy Melrose!!!

Human's Lib! A blast from the past - I was about 12 when that came out - had it on cassette. People take the piss out of him, completely uncool, but I thought his songwriting (and lyrics) were great!!!

Lines like that sum it all up. Simple but true!
  • Options
    But what we DO need:

Human rights for the individual.
    Then we wouldn't need any PC b*llox, racial or sex discrimination acts, or anything else. .......
  • Options
    Chinese women, asking to have chinese new years day off at work - manager then say's fine, i'll give you sick pay

I'm sure if i asked to have new years day off, a week or so before i was due to work it, i would get told to do one.

Toothache, hate it!

People who wear these expensive bling bling watches, and then turn round to you and say "you got the time mate" ????

Mcleod playing in a Charlton shirt.
  • Options
    Dogs - there's already enough dog sh*t covering all the pavements in the land
  • Options
    watched room 101 last night which reminded me of this thread. I must say I did laugh a few times.

Ken Livingstone, Global Warming, Dogs in the City, BBQ's, budget airlines, i can't remember what else went in there.
  • Options
    Whose choice were they?
  • Options
    Nigel Havers i think
  • Options
    Nigel Havers