Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What is an example of classic typicall britishness

edited December 2007 in Not Sports Related
rain/snow.

Comments

• Options
    A nice cup of tea especially if evrything has gone tits up
  • Options
    Pork Pies, Steak & Kidney Pies, Cornish Pasties & Sausage Rolls

Curry - the curries over here are lamentable compared to the ones we get back in Blighty
  • Options
    I've found a couple of good ones here in van if you want any recommendations oakster
  • Options
    Where there are sets of double doors, e.g. entrance to offices or department stores, waiting to walk through behind a queue of people instead of opening a different door. Typical british behavior
  • Options
    saying we let too many foreigners in to our great country then moving abroad to do exactly the same
  • Options
    Talking about the weather.
    Things aren't the same as they were in my day.
    Football on Saturday.
  • Options
    Full english breakfast mmmmmmmm.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]saying we let too many foreigners in to our great country then moving abroad to do exactly the same

Point of order oohaah; whilst I am not one that moans about too many foreigners and lives abroad, in defence of those that do there is a marked difference. Immigrants into Britain almost all come for economic reasons, and a number of them send their money out of the country, to the land they originally came from.

Most Brits abroad move there for social reasons, many retire to warmer climates. They bring their money with them, and invest in property, and spend their pensions locally, bringing money into the country they have settled in. Or like myself, they set up businesses and spend the profits locally.

Still does not excuse them moaning about foreigners I grant you, but the circumstances are a little different.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]saying we let too many foreigners in to our great country then moving abroad to do exactly the same

Point of order oohaah; whilst I am not one that moans about too many foreigners and lives abroad, in defence of those that do there is a marked difference. Immigrants into Britain almost all come for economic reasons, and a number of them send their money out of the country, to the land they originally came from.

Most Brits abroad move there for social reasons, many retire to warmer climates. They bring their money with them, and invest in property, and spend their pensions locally, bringing money into the country they have settled in. Or like myself, they set up businesses and spend the profits locally.

Still does not excuse them moaning about foreigners I grant you, but the circumstances are a little different.

Fecking Immigrant.......
  • Options
    going on holiday to spend 90% of the time with sunstroke.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Tell us that we musn't let terrorists affect our way of life and then make life hell for anybody travelling in the name of preventing terrorism.
  • Options
    Moaning.
  • Options
    a pint of fine ale in a country pub.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]

Fecking Immigrant.......

LOL...
  • Options
    Weeing in the street when bladdered
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]

Fecking Immigrant.......

Shouldnt that be emmigrant? ;-)
  • Options
    Depends where you are standing Dan...
  • Options
    spending thousands on holiday in some foreign country and moaning about immigrants who sent their money back home.
  • Options
    Irony.

moaning

use of humour to deflect real confrontation (see puttng :-) after insults on this site)

Fair play

Moaning about things but rarely to the actual people concerned and hardly ever enough to go out on the streets about it anymore

Disliking groups of "others" but always sticking up for the ones you know as they are OK

Decent pop/rock music and street fashion.

More moaning

Pubs
  • Options
    tolerance
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    a pint of fine ale in a country pub.

Here here, we have the best beer on the planet.

Pint of Broadside anyone?
  • Options
    Roast Beef and Yorkshire Pudding
    Fish and Chips on a Friday
    Spotted Dick and Custard
    Christmas with the Family
    Paddling in the sea
    Mug of Cocoa
    A Pint of Best Bitter
    Walks in the Countryside on a warm summers day
    Queing
  • Options
    Rhubarb crumble mmmmmmmm.
  • Options
    OOh Ah moaning about our away support:-)
  • Options
    Curbs saying a Premiership side will win it why not us? :-)
  • Options
    The roar of a merlin (spitfire) engine at full chat

Asking for brown sauce when abroad

Moaning that they can't make a decent cup of tea abroad

Making it known to most Europeans that they'd be German if it wasn't for us.
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Seasons (weather not football)
    Roast dinner on a Sunday
    Thinking we've a god-given right to win every sport we think we're good at (maybe that's actually Englishness!)
  • Options
    Who are the people who think we have a God given right to win everything? I have thought long and hard, and I don't actually recall ever meeting anyone who thought we would win anything, except for a few days in summer 1996, before we lost to the Germans in the Euro semi-final , and in summer 1990 before etc...etc... on both occasions we were in with a realistic chance at that point.

Most people I meet think we will crash and burn at everything before it even starts, and are totally pessimistic i.e. dismissing Capello before he is even appointed.

So two more Britishness things:

Perpetuating urban myths about our people
    Glorying in pessimism about sport.
  • Options
    Fucking off abroad and still thinking our opinion should count "back home", eh Algarve???
    :o)
  • Options
    Gallows humour
    That annoying type of rain that isn't heavy enough to warrant a brolly but still leaves you looking like a drowned rat if you're out in it for long enough.
    Cream teas
    Bonfire Night
    Marmite
    The BBC(as much as people whinge about the licence fee)