Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Racism

You would've thought that in 2011 that racism had been kicked out of football. Disgusting behaviour by those fans that took part (England vs Bulgaria). To hear that it is still occurring is also bad.

Comments

• This is common place in most of the old eastern bloc countries and nothing is ever done. UEFA will impose a very small fine, but that will be it. If it was England fans we would be kicked out of the tournament!
  • Excuse my ignorance but I went out after the game last night and only just awoke ...  heard nothing about any Racism, what happened?
  • Some sort of racist abuse to our players - particularly Ashley Young it appears. I was in a pub and couldn't hear it though, but it is widely reported.
  • Back from the game a couple of hours ago.

Several episodes of monkey-chanting.

• I come à cross so much here as Well i have a 15 years old son who is mix race who runs his own business and has à second job.And you here people say he is à drug dealer scum it up sets me as à father who has had to fight is mum and the family courts four 13 years four people to say he is à drug dealer and races .
  • Disgusting frankly. I can't fathom why people do it/say it/think it/express it.
  • I heard that the chanting was not picked up by the TV microphones, but was very noticeable in the ground
  • This is common place in most of the old eastern bloc countries and nothing is ever done. UEFA will impose a very small fine, but that will be it. If it was England fans we would be kicked out of the tournament!
    tihs
  • The English FA always complain when this happens yet nothing ever gets done about it. We've been sending these to FIFA since the days of Barnes getting banana's thrown at him in the 80's yet Blatter and his mob seem to think it's just a bit of horse-play. Unfortunately, the only positive I can see come out of the complaint is that it was probably done by E-mail, saving a sheet of paper.
  • Sponsored links:

• Wasn't it England fans throwing bananas at Barnes?
    English fans did, especially when at Watford but don't recall any incidents of England fans doing it at internationals.
  • The thing is that racism was very common in Britain while there was less black players in team and indeed less non-white supporters.  You have to remember that a lot of the countries where this thing goes on won't have a high level of ethnic integration.  Like most isms it is borne out of ignorance and unfamiliarity.  I find it a bit funny that the British take such a high handed attitude to it.  People who would have happily been making monkey noises 30 years ago are outraged that societies that have a similar ethnic mix to what we had then, do the same thing.  Tango, if you really can't recall any incidents where English fans were being racist then I suspect that you're memory stretches back a relatively short time.

Some countries have a number of fans who are ignorant, it doesn't make them worse than us, it just makes them ignorant.
    tihs

Serbia had to play a match behind closed doors (against Northern Ireland) in this current EC qualifying campaign after fighting broke out at an away match with Italy in Genoa which UEFA subsequently awarded to Italy 3-0, and there was a fine of 120,000 Euros to pay.

So "nothing is ever done" is not quite true but probably is if you can't be arsed to do anything more than repeat whatever conspiracy theory you have about Michel Platini and UEFA.

• The thing is that racism was very common in Britain while there was less black players in team and indeed less non-white supporters.  You have to remember that a lot of the countries where this thing goes on won't have a high level of ethnic integration.  Like most isms it is borne out of ignorance and unfamiliarity.  I find it a bit funny that the British take such a high handed attitude to it.  People who would have happily been making monkey noises 30 years ago are outraged that societies that have a similar ethnic mix to what we had then, do the same thing.  Tango, if you really can't recall any incidents where English fans were being racist then I suspect that you're memory stretches back a relatively short time.

Some countries have a number of fans who are ignorant, it doesn't make them worse than us, it just makes them ignorant.
    Good point, very well made. I well remember standing in the Arfur Waite in the late 80s next to some knuckle draggers who were chucking bananas at George Lawrence. A woman gave them abuse for it and she was told to 'f*** off and mind her own business', called a 'n***er lover' and all sorts of other shit then, when she went a bit loopy and started screaming at one of them, asking why he hadn't thrown a banana at Carl Leaburn, she was told it was because 'he was alright, he was 'our' coon' A lot of people have very short memories. Yes, racism is endemic in many parts of mainland Europe. That's the result of living in a monoculture. Does it make it right? No - of course it bloody doesn't - but UEFA have a reasonably good record of at least attempting to deal with it.

Personally, I think the first lot of verified monkey chants should see a team instantly thrown out of the competition. That might be a decent deterrent. Of course, it will never happen, because of The Great God Television.
    English fans did, especially when at Watford but don't recall any incidents of England fans doing it at internationals.
    He was racially abused by England fans on the plane on the way back from Brazil after scoring his wonder goal.
    He was racially abused by England fans on the plane on the way back from Brazil after scoring his wonder goal.
    Sorry, I wasn't there.
    tihs

Serbia had to play a match behind closed doors (against Northern Ireland) in this current EC qualifying campaign after fighting broke out at an away match with Italy in Genoa which UEFA subsequently awarded to Italy 3-0, and there was a fine of 120,000 Euros to pay.

So "nothing is ever done" is not quite true but probably is if you can't be arsed to do anything more than repeat whatever conspiracy theory you have about Michel Platini and UEFA.

WTF is that comment about BFR? I have no conspiracy theory - I am just stating facts. WTF has Serbia's fighting fans got to do with anything on this thread - they were not being racist, they were fighting Police and being 'football hooligans' which is nothing to do with racist chanting towards players. It is a fact that FIFA and UEFA impose minmal fines for racial abuse towards players, but deal harshly with less offensive matters. Sorry to offend the PLATINI FAN CLUB.............

• edited September 2011

1. FK Rabotnicki have been fined €10,000 following the allegations of racist chanting Liverpool's players faced during a UEFA Europa League match in Skopje.

2. Fifa has fined the Croatian Football Federation £15,000 for the racist behaviour of their fans during the match with England

Shall I go on with my 'conspiracy theory' BFR? Serbia get fined £120,000 for their fans fighting....................

• Vince Hilaire could've opened a fruit stall at The Valley in the 80's
  • Sponsored links:

• 70's and early 80s was terrible at the Valley for racism and I am very proud of the way the ars****es have been rooted out. Maybe a combination of society moving on and the work of the club.
  • 70's and early 80s was terrible at the Valley for racism and I am very proud of the way the ars****es have been rooted out. Maybe a combination of society moving on and the work of the club.
    I'd like to think they have been rooted out but unfortunately they are still there....but just not so loud.
    I'd like to think they have been rooted out but unfortunately they are still there....but just not so loud.

What Solidgone said is I fear unfortunately spot on.
  • You cant just stop being a racist. No law can do it. Taboos exist in any society -- its what makes a society (unless your Maggie Thatcher who didnt believe they exist).

The lines are drawn : on the one hand you can have total freedom of expression as in the USA where you can insult and say what you like ,or our way where laws exist re racial abuse. In sport its clear  do it and  risk arrest--being banned for life and your club geting hit with a fine. That dosnt mean people will stop, it means it can be controlled.
  • No, you can't just stop. It's down to plain ignorance. These people need educating. Back in the 70's & 80's it was rife throughout our society and was even used as a form of comedy in the 70's , I'm sure many of the older readers can remember 'Love thy neighbour'. The whole attitude as far as the media was concerned was that it was all just a bit of banter. Try telling that to the Indian family that used to make sure at least one person stayed awake during the night to make sure the house wasn't fire bombed whilst they slept.
  • Well said muttley it was bad in them days and CHARLTON have worked hard to get rid off this .I got on trains after a Millwall game and the way thay talk about woman and the races issue is decusting .
  • Racim's been around since time begun, unfortunately I don't think humans will ever be rid of it.
  • edited September 2011

Hmm...terrible that this sort of scum are still associated with the game and disgusting to see Bulgarian supporters sporting swasticas in my paper today. Hopefully UEFA will make an example of them BUT I really don't think we are in any place to claim the moral high ground on this issue.

As usual our 'fans' excelled themselves in booing the oppositions national anthem again and reading repots today there was plenty of anti-gypsy chainting going on from our end too

• BA - you are spot on. As mentioned before I was at the game.For a qualifier the atmosphere was strangely flat - in the city as well as at the stadium - and the opposition rabble playing silly Bulgars was just a token effort compared to the intimidation seen on other occasions. 

The mutual disrespecting of national anthems is just pathetic. A major disappointment for me at the game in Cardiff was the drowning-out of the Taffs' anthem - to hear them in full voice would have been impressive (they had little chance during the game).

The anti-gypsy stuff was also sad to hear. I admit that I found the banter on here prior to the Jills' games two seasons ago was entertaining, but of course banter is all it was - on Friday night there was rather more edge to it.

• edited September 2011
    "But of course banter is all it was" - hmmmm!  banter isn't "all it was" when you or your enthnicity are the subject of it I can assure you.