Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

THEATRE THREAD

Comments

• oh and also whilst we're at it, today I got Les Miserables special edition dvd (which I have seen the musical about 5 times) and also The Tales of Beatrix Potter with the Royal Ballet at the Royal Opera House on DVD. Saw it live last winter. brilliant costumes. 
    can't wait for Tuesday. I went to dance school with the girl who's in it from 3 till 17 and she made it as a dancer, she's been in a few things (sister act amongst others) but i've never seen her since she was 17 in our dance productions. We're in the stalls, had to make a decision regarding stalls or circle because sometimes its better to be higher up to see the stage layout? 

I was in the stalls about 8 rows back. View was perfect so as long as ur not front row or at the end of a row u shud be fine.
  • Saw 'The Thirty Nine Steps' (Criterion Theatre) the other day. What you might call a  minimalst production and great fun. No direct audience participation but you feel like you're part of what's going on, especially if you're familiar with the 1935 Hitchcock film version on which the play is based. Inventive and with a cast who are obviously enjoying themseves.  Tip: the 'Tom Crib' pub, Sheperd & Neame, is in a side street behind the theatre if you want to avoid Picadilly prices for food and drink. 

• Saw 'The Thirty Nine Steps' (Criterion Theatre) the other day. What you might call a  minimalst production and great fun. No direct audience participation but you feel like you're part of what's going on, especially if you're familiar with the 1935 Hitchcock film version on which the play is based. Inventive and with a cast who are obviously enjoying themseves.  Tip: the 'Tom Crib' pub, Sheperd & Neame, is in a side street behind the theatre if you want to avoid Picadilly prices for food and drink. 

Seen this (actually a couple of times, taking parties of people there), a good laugh. great little theatre too, refurbished, and sort of underground, you can hear the tube trains rumbling by...if you get tickets at a sensible price it is worth seeing.
  • Saw Journey's End in London last night very powerful and poignant play would recommend.
  • forgot to update this and say that Ghost the Musical was great. V funny in parts and also very emotional. People were actually sobbing! sounds ridiculous but it was sad and tears were shed although we didn't sob!!! We had Kerry Ellis sitting in front of us and Andrew Lloyd Webber at the end of our row! checking out the competition. My mate was also awesome and had some actual parts rather than just being part of the ensemble which was good. 

now got South Pacific to look forward to at end of August. 
  • forgot to update this and say that Ghost the Musical was great. V funny in parts and also very emotional. People were actually sobbing! sounds ridiculous but it was sad and tears were shed although we didn't sob!!! We had Kerry Ellis sitting in front of us and Andrew Lloyd Webber at the end of our row! checking out the competition. My mate was also awesome and had some actual parts rather than just being part of the ensemble which was good. 

Suzi - did you go to the matinee?  I went to that, Mrs L_E loved it even though she cried most of the way through it.  Good value for £25 a ticket. Effects were very good.
  • edited August 2011
    A month of culture beckons:

Went to "Yes, Prime Minister" with the wife at the weekend. Hilarious. Brand new script based loosely around the European financial crisis going on at the moment, even with comments about phone hacking!

Priscilla on Thursday - cheap tickets from LastMinute.com, but have only heard good things about it.
    Much a'do About Nothing on Saturday week - the wife's choice (David Tennant probably has something to do with that!)
    Jersy Boys on 22nd - my birthday trip.
  • Saw One Man, Two Guvnors a few weeks ago at the National.

I know James Corden isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I was basically crying with laughter for the entire first half. Going again with another group in November.
    ...AND seeing this in September...at the cinema!
    The National are broadcasting it to cinemas on 15th September (18:45) if anyone is interested.

Suzi - did you go to the matinee?  I went to that, Mrs L_E loved it even though she cried most of the way through it.  Good value for £25 a ticket. Effects were very good.
    We went last Tuesday evening in the end. it was great and i can understand how people were sobbing through it. When i started i thought 'this won't make me cry its all a bit fake and ott' but another 5 mins in, and there was definitely a tear on my cheek!!

effects were great, and would love to go again to be able to watch more closely to see how things were done!
  • So.....Priscilla, Queen of the Desert...

Outrageously camp, but great fun. Costumes were completely over the top (as you'd expect) and the staging was pretty inventive.

The worrying thing is you're not sure if you're allowed to fancy any of the women....cos there are times when you're not sure which are guys & which are girls!

£30 tickets off Last Minute had us sitting in the middle of row K - almost the exact centre of the Stalls. Great view & thoroughly enjoyed it.
  • Sponsored links:

• @F-Blocker Just to let you know mate that Jersey Boys is fantastic, missus took me for my birthday in January. One the best i've seen. Helps if you like that kind of music too.
  • Seen Jersey Boys too a couple of weeks ago. The double understudy was playing the lead role but he was brilliant. Surprised how gritty some of it was, but that was a bonus as some musicals can be softly softly. Fully recommend.
  • Went to see the Mystery Plays at the Globe last Sat eve.  Excellent fun - was a bit spooky when it rained briefly just as they were acting out Noah and the Ark!  Dragged a bit towards the end, but we were getting hungry by then - £5 for three and a quarter hours' entrtainment is not bad value!!  Went to The Swan (adjacent restaurant) for meal afterwards - £14 each for main course, glass of wine and tea and coffee.  Second time we've been and would certainly go back - enjoy the informal acting style / crowd interaction which is deliberate given the venue.
  • The Globe is a great place
  • @I-Saw & @Mortimer - thanks. I'm really looking forward to Jersey Boys as it's been on the "to see" list for some time

Much a'do About Nothing review to come next week ;o)
  • Just back from Priscilla Queen of the Desert, very camp, very good but i do think Legally Blonde is better

• So....Much Ado About Nothing....

There are currently 2 productions of this playing in London - Wyndhams Theatre and The Globe.

We saw the David Tennant/Catherine Tate version at Wyndhams. It took me 10 minutes to get my ear tuned-in to the full Shakespearean text (haven't watched Shakespeare since I was doing my A Levels in the early 90s), but once there it was hilarious!

Set in early/mid-eighties Gibraltar, the staging was very inventive and the visual comedy spot-on.

David Tennat looks like he could do with eating a few burgers, but Catherine Tate had slimmed down nicely.....her boobs are still f'kin' huge though (and almost fell out at one point)!

It wasn't my choice to go, but I'm thoroughly glad we did. Recommended.
  • I see Mark Rylance is returning to the Apollo Theatre in the Autumn until early January with Jerusalem, maybe there will be enought of us to make a block booking and save a few quid. You know, footie on a Saturday afternoon, and the play in the evening.
  • I see Mark Rylance is returning to the Apollo Theatre in the Autumn until early January with Jerusalem, maybe there will be enought of us to make a block booking and save a few quid. You know, footie on a Saturday afternoon, and the play in the evening.

seen it once but would love to see it again ... stunning peformance
  • got my tickets to see it again already - strongly recommend!!
  • Sponsored links:

• got my tickets to see it again already - strongly recommend!!

just booked ... looking forward to this again
  • off to see Shrek on Saturday afternoon with my little girl, she's very excited
  • Blood Brothers best I've seen although agree with early post that 39 steps well done and funny
  • Me and @les_says just been to see South Pacific at Barbican. 
    surprisingly not sold out so we moved to better seats - worth doing as some are v uncomfortable. 
    Thought it was great though. had a good old sing along to the classic tunes. Some impressive singing voices and great sky backdrops. 

• edited September 2011

We missed Jerusalem last time around, won't make the same mistake. We're booked in as well.

We went to see 'A Woman Killed With Kindness' at the NT  It was written in 1603 by Thomas Heywood and was a theatrical milestone in that it portrayed the realism of an adulterous domestic situation. Sadly, no matter how good the acting, staging and direction, and despite its importance in the history of theatre, it was ultimately too contrived and proved to be very unconvincing. Because of this, it got a rather muted reception, which was a pity as the acting was first rate.

• Saw Bound at the Southwark Playhouse on Friday - brilliant, about Cornish fishermen .... one of the best things I;ve seen in ages, strongly recommend to everyone but act quick because this is the last week, still tickets I think.
    Tickets £18 each but they have this scheme where you can buy five general tickets for £37.50 and then you can use those for Bound and/or most other thing on or coming up - basically three tickets for £1.50.
  • Me & @Les_says went to see Cool Hand Luke at the Aldwich Theatre last Thursday.

I've never seen the film but thought it was excellent. Marc Warren was superb and so was Lee Boardman.  It is in on till January so try to go and see it.

• Me & @Les_says went to see Cool Hand Luke at the Aldwich Theatre last Thursday.

I've never seen the film but thought it was excellent. Marc Warren was superb and so was Lee Boardman.  It is in on till January so try to go and see it.

I thought it was great too, such a shame as it was nearly empty and deserves bigger audiences. last week there were tickets on audience club for £2.50, if you are not a member of Audience Club - it is a bargain

• Forgot to update this thread...

Jersey Boys - Loved it. I thought the staging was good and the storytelling direct to the audience worked well too. How lucky is the guy playing Valli? He gets to belt out "Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You" every night!

One Man, Two Guv'nors - Hilarious! James Corden has his knockers, but both he & th eensemble cast were brilliant. You'll watch it, go to the Valley and start shouting "Country Life!".
  • edited October 2011

A slight departure from the West End, but - appropriately given this messageboard - I know that lots of Charlton fans/season-ticket holders are involved in the amateur production of Guys and Dolls which is on at the Orchard Theatre in Dartford this week.

The musical is on every night from Wednesday to Saturday (I won't mention the Saturday matinee as I'm guessing most Lifers have other plans this Saturday afternoon...).

Speaking as someone who cut their journalistic teeth reviewing (often very painful) amateur theatre productions, I can testify that DAODS are of a much superior standard to most amateur companies. http://www.daods.co.uk/index.php