Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Lifer article in the Guardian?

Coming home tonight I read this article on my iPod Guardian Article. Very sad, and yet at the same time, uplifting story. And one I can easily relate to. But, I am sure it is written by the Charlton Life poster who posted details of the blog he was writing about the trials and tribulations of becoming a father for the second time after a gap of many years a few months back. I have tried searching for the post but can't find it.

Comments

• Nice posting. Life is too short for this kind of thing. Unfortunately, it's a fact of life.
  • What a terribly sad story, so tragic that people can be so hateful to people they don't even know.
  • edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Red_in_SE8[/cite]Coming home tonight I read this article on my iPodGuardian Article. Very sad, and yet at the same time, uplifting story. And one I can easily relate to. But, I am sure it is written by the Charlton Life poster who posted details of the blog he was writing about the trials and tribulations of becoming a father for the second time after a gap of many years a few months back. I have tried searching for the post but can't find it.

this one?
  • Great read. To be honest he sounds a lot like my old man. Old school docker moaning about them darkies.......... Hope all goes well for you and your partner and of course your baby (if you're reading this)
  • Fascinating read- if it is a "Lifer" and he reads this- good on you fella....

And most importantly, enjoy parenthood again with the benefit of hindsight- I know at least half a dozen people who have become Dads for a second shift in their late 40s / early 50s and they all say that it is hard but so rewarding....
  • Read this on Saturday. Excellent article, really enjoyed it.
  • quality ending to the article

It took another generation to put it into perspective. As my daughter Dixie said: "Think of it this way, Dad – he'll be the last racist in the family."
  • Although I hate the views expressed by this Grandfather, I take a slightly different view. As a Granpa myself I have been blessed with the love of my life, we met in our teens, will soon celebrate our 53rd anniverary, and still exchange loving words every day. I've had two lovely kids, and now have four Granchildren who are growing into really nice young adults, who hug me every time we meet and tell me they love me. We have wonderful friends, thirty of us were out for Dinner last weekend together. My life has been fun, exciting at times, enormously sad at others, and truly fulfilling. I have experienced all the emotions, and always judge people by their behaviour towards others not by the colour of their skin.
    By contrast, this man has lived for 88 years but learned nothing. After making his contribution as a young man, he has wasted all those years. I learned from my Father that those of us who live a long life have a duty to pass on the wisdom which they accumulate, not the bile. Feel sorry for a wasted life, and be sure that you learn from this lesson.
  • what a lovely post Granpa, and congratulations on your anniversary. It was my grandparents 68th anniversary on Sunday, admirable and frightening at the same time !
  • Great inspiring post Granpa.
  • Sponsored links:

• It's terrible but shows that some things change for the better. A lot of older people are racists -FACT (not all or most, but a significant number). People in their mid 40s like me, may remember the Valley of the 70s being quite a racist ground (as were many others).

That gradually changed over the years to the point where we have treated the appointment of our first black manager with universal joy in 2011. I wouldn't have believed that would happen one day, but am delighted it has. Racism will never completely die, but will become a growing irrevelance as the racist generations are no more.

I remember my garandparents being a bit racist and they weren't bad people. You have to live their lives before you can be too judgemental.
  • typical narrow minded mentality, based and still living in the past. I hope he's better off, without the tosser, that his father clearly is!
  • It was in the Guardian so it's probably just made up left wing propaganda anyway......
  • [cite]Posted By: MuttleyCAFC[/cite]People in their mid 40s like me, may remember the Valley of the 70s being quite a racist ground (as were many others).

Sadly you are quite right, Muttley....... monkey chants and bananas and shite like that.

Thank Christ that most people have moved on from there.
  • edited February 2011
    When I was about 14, I used to go to the youth club in Belvedere. There were a couple of really nice Asian boys there who taught me to play squash. I quite fancied one of them. Then one day in a family discussion over "changes in society", my Mum announced "I just don't know what I'd do if Heather ever brought home a darkie as a boyfriend." Sadly the Asian guy never asked me out, so I never found out, but it really shocked me at the time to discover that my Mum had such views.
  • Does anybody remember a testemonial match against Millwall - forget who it was for. There was a celebrity match before the main match and Stan Boardman played. The crowd were reacting well to his slapstick antics, then he took the mic at half time and told a racist joke and got booed and chastised by a few in the crowd. I thought that was a turning point - thaings seemed to improve from there.
  • In the late 80s I remember in being really rare to see another brown or black face in the crowd but I'm not on my own anymore.
  • What a sad story but with hope at the end of it.

My wife's parents remind me to some extent, of this man. Both my in-laws are now in their 80s. My mother-in-law is an ex health service worker, who worked along side doctors and nurses, many of whom were from non white backgrounds. My father in law worked in the Houses of Parliament for years and met people from all around the world in the course of his work.

WIth their background you would perhaps expect them to have a liberal outlook. Unfortunately not. Spurred on by the Daily Mail, they take great delight in slagging off immigrants, asylum seekers, etal. Basically anybody with a foreign accent or a different coloured skin. I have tried reasoning with them - to no avail. My wife is embarrassed by their outbursts and quickly changes the subject.

I have thought long and hard as to why they should be like this and come to the conclusion that with all the time on their hands, they have to fill it with something to worry or moan about. They say they don't go shopping in Bromley now because the high street is full of immigrant muggers. They read stuff in the papers, it plays on their fear of the changing world and it turns into anger and bitterness.

Its all very, very sad.

Granpa, here's to you and your outlook on life.
  • No but it would be good to see greater ethnic representation in the Valley Crowd. Arsenal seem to have managed it quite well. I suppose we have a job attracting new fans full stop given recent years and the trick is to slow down the rate that we lose them. When (hopefully not if) we become more attractive to potential supporters again, we might be able to make some progress in this area.
  • They grew up in a time when there were no immigrants - we mixed with all races at school - my best friend was from Nigeria. Integration is the biggest enemy of racism.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]Spurred on by the Daily Mail, they take great delight in slagging off immigrants, asylum seekers, etal.

What is it with the Daily Mail, with its diatribe of Conservative and conservative propaganda ..... an anachronistic reminder of some fantasy era of little England?

Dreadful dirge of a rag. Ugh.
  • People like nostalgia and they like to feel a bit scared and a bit outraged. And they don't mind paying for it.

Unfortunately the Mail is brilliant at tapping into this. I don't like the paper at all but can't help but admire Dacre and co. They really know their market.
  • [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite] They say they don't go shopping in Bromley now because the high street is full of immigrant muggers.

I must have missed them whenever I go then.
  • [cite]Posted By: Jints[/cite]People like nostalgia and they like to feel a bit scared and a bit outraged. And they don't mind paying for it.

Unfortunately the Mail is brilliant at tapping into this. I don't like the paper at all but can't help but admire Dacre and co. They really know their market.

Good post, I think the phrase "evil genius" would be quite apt.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]Spurred on by the Daily Mail, they take great delight in slagging off immigrants, asylum seekers, etal.

What is it with the Daily Mail, with its diatribe of Conservative and conservative propaganda ..... an anachronistic reminder of some fantasy era of little England?

Dreadful dirge of a rag. Ugh.

Hmmmm, while I agree about the Mail, I had the equal but opposite thought about the Guardian when I read the article.