Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Eddie Howe thread (Staying with Bournemouth)

Comments

• Options
    Just as i thought in my previous post, i don`t think he was ever really seriously thinking about leaving.
  • Options
    to be honest, fair play to his loyalty. I'm not too unhappy that he hasn't come to us, but if he i had i would have supported him.

Wonder who the other 5 candidates are ;-)

I still think we need to move quick (but get the right man) with the transfer window only open for another 3 weeks.
  • Options
    Sean O'Driscoll is not going to leave a successful club on the up for us
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stilladdicted[/cite]Bothers me a bit that any potential manager may not see us a good bet because of the ownership issue, plus there will always be the spectre of Wise lurking.

Don't think we should beat ourselves up that these were factors in him turning us down. It's hardly as if we're alone, after all - Soton, Palace, Burnley....He's stayed put because that's where he is comfortable, not because of concerns about Swiss banks or off-shore trusts in the Virgin Islands or who Jiminez's mates are.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]When we next Bournemouth at home can we get BDL to play "Should I stay or should I go"?

When will we next be in the same division as Bournemouth?
  • Options
    Is it too late to e-mail Eddie Mitchell and the Bournemouth Echo with those photoshopped pictures of Eddie Howe at a sex and drugs orgy?

This aint over!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]When we next Bournemouth at home can we get BDL to play "Should I stay or should I go"?[/quote]

When will we next be in the same division as Bournemouth?[/quote]

We'll have to hope we get promoted...
  • Options
    Oh well, I hope he has managed to secure some funds from his chairman after all this.

I must admit I was beginning to get a bit nervous yesterday, when it looked like he was going to pick Charlton over Palace, as it would have been a kick in the teeth. Hopefully both clubs can now identify different managers to chase, Gary Johnson would be a good fit for you surely, loads of bad blood between him and Palace.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: budgie[/cite]Oh well, I hope he has managed to secure some funds from his chairman after all this.

I must admit I was beginning to get a bit nervous yesterday, when it looked like he was going to pick Charlton over Palace, as it would have been a kick in the teeth. Hopefully both clubs can now identify different managers to chase, Gary Johnson would be a good fit for you surely, loads of bad blood between him and Palace.

didn't he upset you when you lost to him in the play-offs? What was that all about?

But then again many palace fans didn't like Warnock before he came.

ABW
  • Options
    Just to put things in perspective, I found this picture of Howe.

http://www.newstatesman.com/uk-politics/2010/02/geoffrey-howe-1990-speech

Are we sure that he really was the man for us?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Got himself a nice pay rise, good luck to him.

Is Palace or Charlton really a better alternative than Bournemouth at the moment.

Plus his chairman seems like a proper football man not a City Boy with a few quid and a couple of contacts...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: budgie[/cite]loads of bad blood between him and Palace.

Sign 'im up!!

;-)
  • Options
    There is only one thing for it! We play Bournemouth in the playoffs and beat them soundly! Don't mess with the Addicks :(
  • Options
    BOSS Eddie Howe today finally ended intense speculation over his future by pledging his unstinting loyalty to Cherries.

Howe, who had been linked with vacancies at Crystal Palace, Charlton and Burnley, agreed to remain at Dean Court following talks with chairman Eddie Mitchell.

He emerged from the meeting – alongside assistant Jason Tindall – to tell the gathered media: “It certainly wasn’t an easy decision. Myself, Jason and our families have thought long and hard about it and it would be very difficult to leave the players and the fantastic supporters.

“I think we all wanted an end to it because it had dragged on long enough and we felt we had to make a decision.

“We have done a lot of thinking and have had sleepless nights. We knew there had to be a resolution and now we can concentrate on the football, which is all that matters.

“You have difficult decisions to make, decisions that affect not only your future, but the future of your staff and the players and you know they can’t be taken lightly. You can’t make snap decisions. As much as you would like to put everyone at ease and give them an answer, it is very difficult to come to that. But we knew the pressure was building and it had to give. We’re delighted to make this decision and feel it’s the right one.

“Eddie (Mitchell) and Neill (Blake) have been excellent with us. They have really allowed us to think at our own speed and time and haven’t forced us or pressured us into anything. It speaks volumes that they allowed us to do that.”

Howe, who said the one factor that had kept him at the club was the players, was asked what he felt the club could achieve. He said: “You need to look at the league table. We’re second in the league.

“We’re not setting any unrealistic targets or saying we are going to achieve anything other than hopefully competing well against Colchester on Friday. It’s a tough league and we’re in a good position but there is a long way to go.

“If this club can maintain the momentum and carry on getting positive results, who knows where it will take us. But there is a good feeling around the town at the moment and it’s a joy to be around.”

Asked how close he had come to leaving, Howe replied: “I came close, I’m not going to lie and say I didn’t. But before you make a decision about your future, you have to know the facts and the details.

“You can’t make a decision without knowing those things, otherwise you would be a fool to yourself and you wouldn’t be making a balanced and calculated decision. We found out the facts and details and came to a conclusion.

“We were being pulled in different directions and, because of the size of the challenges and of the jobs, it certainly appealed at different levels. But, ultimately, we came to this decision.”

Asked whether he had demanded any assurances from Mitchell about the possibility of further player sales or the prospect of adding to his squad, Howe replied: “I wouldn’t force him into giving me assurances because you never know in football.

“You can’t make those assurances because you just don’t know what is around the corner. We certainly hope to keep the playing squad together, that would be the bare minimum of what we would hope. In terms of bringing in players, I’m sure the chairman will help me if he can.”

Tindall added: “It was a tough decision for both of us. As Ed said, we had to do a lot of thinking and both came to the conclusion that it would be best to stay. We have started a project that we haven’t quite finished.

“We’ve got a great bunch of lads with a great team spirit and felt we owed a lot to them and, hopefully, we can continue what we started and end it the way we want it to end.”
  • Options
    I suspect we only wanted to talk to Howe , who else has been interviewed / on the radar ?

I really do not think that the new board wanted to sack Parky and for that reason Wise would only be a very last resort as Slater has made some very public statements about the Taxi drivers favourite customer not being involved . That added to Scoop's prenouncements before the takeover leads me to believe this would not be the favoured option , but never say never .

Trying to cut the waffle I suspect Poyet would have been first choice but he would have made it clear to Jimenez that it was a no go as per our informant last week .The story that we sounded out Hoddle and Zola would have credibility also . It seems Steve Clarke was interested but then got headhunted by Liverpool .

This was the situation leading into the weekend , I always suspected that Howe was only one of a shortlist , if so who else is on it . Hughton ? Johnson ? Hill ? Tisdale ? Wilkins ? Scott ? Jackett ?
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Sounds like Howe and Tindall are an honest couple of guys.

They've done their soul searching, they feel they have unfinished business at Bournemouth which they want to nurture and see where it leads. And they are loyal to their players and the people around them.

Some have said on here that Howe lacks ambition. But he does not lack integrity.

It's evident he feels the timing is not right and he feels he's not ready.
    Sounds like common sense to me.
  • Options
    Let's hope Bournemouth treat him with as much integrity in the future , I can remember not so long ago Steve Tillson being quoted as a rising manager after taking Southend to the CCC from League 2 .

He took them all the way back again got sacked and now is at Lincoln.
  • Options
    I still think that getting a manager already in employment in mid season is very difficult. Especially if they have family/kids who are at school etc. For Howe I'm sure that played a part. That's why I firmly believe the next manager will be one of Wise/Johnson.
  • Options
    Apparently they told Howe they weren't going to give him any money. He would have to loan players. They said they would sell his 3 best players at the end of the season. However, they expect a play off place at least. In season 2 they once again would expect the team to be challenging even though they promise no money. Seems a tall order, that's why he turned it down.

Surely, there isn't a manager out there that could achieve that, is there????
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: masicat[/cite]Apparently they told Howe they weren't going to give him any money. He would have to loan players. They said they would sell his 3 best players at the end of the season. However, they expect a play off place at least. In season 2 they once again would expect the team to be challenging even though they promise no money. Seems a tall order, that's why he turned it down.

Surely, there isn't a manager out there that could achieve that, is there????

Behave yourself
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    masicat why do you continue to post garbage

who even are our 3 best players?

Semedo, Racon and Dailly are all out of contract at the end of the season for a start as are countless others.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Sounds like Howe and Tindall are an honest couple of guys.

They've done their soul searching, they feel they have unfinished business at Bournemouth which they want to nurture and see where it leads. And they are loyal to their players and the people around them.

Some have said on here that Howe lacks ambition. But he does not lack integrity.

It's evident he feels the timing is not right and he feels he's not ready.

Sounds like common sense to me.

Agree with Oggster, anyhows he would have taken ages to pick the team! ; )
  • Options
    Good Luck to Eddie and Jason, I admire their loyalty. Now lets move on and sign a manager who has no doubts he wants to head up Charlton Athletic.
  • Options
    Rose tinteds back on. Maybe it was a diversionary tactic anyway, why has it only been EH in the spotlight? Possibly because someone chose to deliberately leak it? Whilst we've been hanging onto scribbling blogs, SSN etc, the real work may have been quietly going on under the radar.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: TEL[/cite] Now lets move on and sign a manager who has no doubts he wants to head up Charlton Athletic.

Totally agree. I am not particularly against by the idea of Keith, Damien and Ben being in charge until the season's end tbh but if the new owners don't want to go down that route we need to get in someone decent pretty sharpish- to look at who needs to be signed to give us the best chance of escaping this league, I'm sure they are already well aware of that too. For me I think Hughton would be a decent choice.
  • Options
    Stayed off this site all day so only just seen this...looks like my previous post #860 may have been right after all and not a joke then!

CommentAuthorvalleyman CommentTime17 hours ago edit quote# 860
    Agent Howe...is he just stringing us along to derail our season and knock a promotion rival off track? JOKE.
  • Options
    Their fans hate us fir tapping him up by the looks of it.
  • Options
    Oh good, we have a new rival. Should be fun down at Dean Court in a few weeks
  • Options
    we had permission to speak to him as their chairman admitted so no problem, move on