Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Eddie Howe thread (Staying with Bournemouth)

Comments

• Options
    Blimey, one guy on the blog said if he goes lets get Dennis Wise Gary Johnson in.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: thewolfboy[/cite]I admire the bloke for following his heart. Not many do.

...and his heart is obviously in Burnley!!!

Love this as it would seriously upset the players and fans at one of our promotion rivals.

Gone on Howey my son. Head to Burnley.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bolderhumphreyreid[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: thewolfboy[/cite]I admire the bloke for following his heart. Not many do.

...and his heart is obviously in Burnley!!!

Love this as it would seriously upset the players and fans at one of our promotion rivals.

Gone on Howey my son. Head to Burnley.

Spot on BHR, just need Adkins & Poyet to leave now and they may as well give us the league one trophy ;-)
  • Options
    Whilst it'll definitely be good for us, i do feel sorry for their fans. They've gone through loads in the last couple of years, then had the relief and joy at him staying on tuesday. Then 48 hours after saying he couldn't leave the players and fans and he loved the club, he actually requests to speak to Burnley.

If this was our club, we'd all be fuming. Actually glad he didn't come here now as quite obviously if he'd done well, he'd have f*cked off at the first hint of interest from a bigger club.
  • Options
    Everyone has a price. The sky sports story said that the afcb chairman was negotiating a severance package. Who's to say that burnley didn't offer 500k for him and the chairman said that was too good to turn down. If he does go there, doesn't necessarily mean he's a tart/judas.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stop shouting[/cite]Everyone has a price. The sky sports story said that the afcb chairman was negotiating a severance package. Who's to say that burnley didn't offer 500k for him and the chairman said that was too good to turn down. If he does go there, doesn't necessarily mean he's a tart/judas.

If that is the case then it makes it all about money which both the Chairman and Howe denied on Tuesday, I really could not give a toss if he goes because I am sure it will effect the teams performances starting tomorrow night but if he does go it proves he was not the man for us.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stop shouting[/cite]Everyone has a price. The sky sports story said that the afcb chairman was negotiating a severance package. Who's to say that burnley didn't offer 500k for him and the chairman said that was too good to turn down. If he does go there, doesn't necessarily mean he's a tart/judas.
    Hmm could be, however that sort of falls down when the Echo are reporting he requested to speak to Burnley
  • Options
    Wow. Couldn't believe the headline when I saw it....what a drama queen!

This isn't going to do his reputation a lot of good if true.....

Poor Bournemouth fans!

Good for us, though. If Adkins goes to the spammers and Poyet goes to Chelski then it would work out quite nicely for us!
  • Options
    It seems Howe isn't quite the honourable man, we all thought he was.

Surely after all the upheavel and soul searching from earlier in the week, he would have instantly knocked back the approach from Burnley.

It would seem the real winners in this will be yourselves and the rest of the chasing pack, because it certainly can't be doing Bourenmouth any favours with all the uncertainty.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    made me get goose bumps people talking about how honourable he is on here,how would we no.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just saw a tweet on twitter...

"Eddie Howe is the equivalent of a married cock tease!"

Made me chuckle!
  • Options
    You're a long time out of work as a manager in football. Don't blame anyone for trying to better themselves.
  • Options
    it may not be panning out ideally for him, but Burnley is a far better proposition than us or Palace
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]it may not be panning out ideally for him, but Burnley is a far better proposition than us or Palace

Though makes me wonder what he found out when he was with our board members? Did he see we have no money to spend? did he fear too much interference?
  • Options
    The interview he gave to the BBC was pretty clear - he wanted to stay at Bournemouth.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/bournemouth/9357904.stm
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]it may not be panning out ideally for him, but Burnley is a far better proposition than us or Palace[/quote]

Though makes me wonder what he found out when he was with our board members? Did he see we have no money to spend? did he fear too much interference?[/quote]

So why reject Palace then?

It was widely reported/suggested that he was earning less than £100K a year at Bournemouth and that both Charlton and Palace had offered something like £300k a year. I guess Burnley offered a "name your price" deal and bring your own backroom staff.

Strange club to go to, they aren't that much bigger or better than Palace or Charlton and with a small ground oportunities are going to be limited, unless the club has access to money that no one else knows about.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]it may not be panning out ideally for him, but Burnley is a far better proposition than us or Palace

Though makes me wonder what he found out when he was with our board members? Did he see we have no money to spend? did he fear too much interference?

It was widely reported/suggested that he was earning less than £100K a year at Bournemouth and that both Charlton and Palace had offered something like £300k a year. I guess Burnley offered a "name your price" deal and bring your own backroom staff.

Strange club to go to, they aren't that much bigger or better than Palace or Charlton and with a small ground oportunities are going to be limited, unless the club has access to money that no one else knows about.

Parachute payments, and they didn't spend that much of the TV money from last season
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]

They did not spend too much in the Premiership plus they have a few years of parachute money, so unless we are about to have loads of money to spend of the three burnley were a better bet. Maybe in his discussions with Charlton and Palace he was being tapped up anyway.
  • Options
    edited January 2011

They are just outside the playoffs with something like £48m in Parachute money (including this season’s) and they don't have a Premier League wage bill.

If we ignore the location this is one of the best jobs available outside of the Premier League. Even with modest attendances they must be able to outspend just about all the clubs in the Championship. The only two clubs with the new and improved Parachute Deal are Hull and Portsmouth, both of which have had massive debt problems.

If he can't achieve promotion to the Premier League with the resources available to him there then he will struggle anywhere.

As much as I believe that historically, and long term, we are as big a club as Burnley, there is no way we can be considered in the same financial bracket as them right now (and Palace are nowhere near to them), and let's remember that his expected life span there as a manager is three to four years. If he is successful there he will move up, if not he will be sacked. If he is not absolutely committed to staying down South, this is a no brainer.

I know that we don’t know exactly how much money Charlton have to spend, but maybe, following his discussions, he does. Either way Burnley haven’t spent much of the £48m yet, so he must consider it a real possibility that he could get them into the playoffs this season and if he does he could be a manager in the Premier League in six months time.

I do agree that he has made a mistake by committing himself to Bournemouth (presumably in exchange for a pay rise) then asking to discuss terms somewhere else, but in the end we all have short memories, and I don’t think this will massively adversely affect his career. I mean, if Pardew can still get a job in the Premier League then Eddie Howe can come back from ‘changing his mind in the face of a great opportunity’.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: budgie[/cite]It seems Howe isn't quite the honourable man, we all thought he was.

Surely after all the upheavel and soul searching from earlier in the week, he would have instantly knocked back the approach from Burnley.

It would seem the real winners in this will be yourselves and the rest of the chasing pack, because it certainly can't be doing Bourenmouth any favours with all the uncertainty.

I agree.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Eddie Howe - shame on you .
  • Options
    Eddie Whoare as he should be for ever known
  • Options
    Is he Burnley's 4th choice now...good manager though.
  • Options
    Staggered that he would choose to go to Burnley, that really is a dreadful part of the world.

Sure they have money but with that money also comes very high expectations and seeing as Howe has never spent any money before then it is brave move from Burnley to grant him a massive transfer budget.

It is a very strange move from all concerned but will work out very well for us.
  • Options
    We will see now if he is going to be a good manager or in a few years will he just be another promising manager on the scrap heap in a few years
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Staggered that he would choose to go to Burnley, that really is a dreadful part of the world.

Sure they have money but with that money also comes very high expectations and seeing as Howe has never spent any money before then it is brave move from Burnley to grant him a massive transfer budget.

It is a very strange move from all concerned but will work out very well for us.

I doubt that he will be living in Burnley though Ormi. Not when Blackburn and Preston are such easy commutes. Actually the Yorkshire dales are close as is Harrogate and Hebden Bridge and they are all nice in different ways. He could always live in Blackpool, which is of course the "Bournemouth of the north".
  • Options
    After the game just now on Sky:

"Well I turned down two clubs on Tuesday"

There you go (apparent) fact that he turned us down from the horse's mouth.
  • Options
    Now confirmed on SSN that he's leaving Bournemouth... apparently holding talks with Burnley...
  • Options
    Feel some are bein a bi harsh on Howe. Fact the Burnle job has come hot on the heels of two others has put him in a tricky position. Having turned down four jobs he himself says tha to turn down another may look like a lack of ambition and if he turned it down he might not be approached again for a while. obviously has to sa the right things about Burnley but I'm not convinced he is happy going there and may regret turning us and Palarse down. Time will tell but I still think he will go on to be a good manager. I'm more than happy with Chris though.