Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CHARLTON DONKEY'S

Comments

• Options
    El Khalej, Mike Small and Nigel Gray. Francis would have to go some to beat those three and from what I've seen (on the box) he hasn't reached their level. Although I may have a completely different opinion come the end of Jan after having seen him live.
  • Options
    Francis was poor going forward but my main worry from yesterday is that our so called creative players were absolutely terrible. Reid is half the player he was last season and Martin fails to deliver with nearly everything he does.
  • Options
    Hate publicly slagging off our own players, completely goes against my nature.

But for the last 20 years i've not seen a more consistently mediocre player than Francis. Strip out the El Khalej's and the Mike Small's who made cameo appearances, this guy has had a mare since he has joined us.

He looks uncomfortable every time someone runs at him, and i don't think i have seen a player give the ball away as much as him. I could understand more if he was in the middle of the park and his first touch is being pressured all the time, but at full back he gets more time than anyone to play.

I'll balance that out by saying he has height, on occassions his delivery from wide areas into the box is 'decent', and as Len rightly points out, he never hides which i do respect. But so far the negatives by far outstrip the positives and has been a real disappointment so far.
  • Options
    Simon Francis, the only Professional footballer I have ever seen give the ball away at least ten times every game. You cannot defend the indefensible.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: HarryHutchens[/cite]Akpo Sodje - 6 goals in 12 starts.

Not sure what some people on here are expecting of our players.

And a gizzard load of sub appearances ........ He is junk FACT:-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: HarryHutchens[/cite]Akpo Sodje - 6 goals in 12 starts.

Not sure what some people on here are expecting of our players.

And a gizzard load of sub appearances ........ He is junk FACT:-)
  • Options
    im better than simon francis. right back is the easiest position on the pitch imo and francis hasnt got a clue. its like someone pushes down on his head and he kicks it as hard and as high as possible. its criminal that he is nicking a living as a pro.
  • Options
    Gary Rowlett should get a mention on here.
  • Options
    The first time i saw us this season in person (MK Dons home) Francis was the one player i picked out as not good enough for this team. Just searched and this is what i said:
    Francis looks a dreadful defender to me, can't kick a ball accurately or keep shape.

He seems to have got worse every game.
  • Options
    Well hopefully Solly will be fit soon and push Francis out of the team or into some kind of form.

If not a right back on loan is needed if Seip isn't going to play
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2010
    I didn't understand people getting on his back the few first games of the season because he hadn't really done a pre-season. But here we are 19 league games in and he actually seems to have got worse rather than better.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]Well hopefully Solly will be fit soon and push Francis out of the team or into some kind of form.

If not a right back on loan is needed if Seip isn't going to play
    I'm sure Seip will get a chance. Hopefully Tuesday. Dailly back as well.
  • Options
    He's cup-tied for Tuesday.
  • Options
    I think this is all a bit harsh, he's not a great player but he seems to be one of those players that are an easy target for abuse.

I think Matt Fry had a worse game yesterday.

Francis didn't play well but has had a lot of assists this season and it's a bit OTT to suggest that he's the worst player to have worn the shirt. However, everyone is entitled to their opinions - I'm just a bit suprised that people think he's that bad.

Reminds me of the treatment Greg Halford got when he played for us on loan.
  • Options
    Here are a whole raft of players who are worse than Francis. My namesake Dick Plumb, Barry Endean, Dietmar Bruck,Paul Bacon, Ralph Milne, Paul Curtis, Mike Small, Bobby Goldthorpe, Ray Tumbridge,Billy Landsdowne, Chris Jones and so it goes on. Francis is an easy target. Thought Fortune and Fry were awful.
  • Options
    Agreed, he is an easy target because recently the rest of the team have been playing well but you can't hide the fact that so far he has not been up to scratch. His defending is suspect at best and he only has one ball to play, a massive punt up the line. The only thing he has is height.

As for his delivery; his free kick in the last minute yesterday was at least 10 yards off target which is some going when you have only hit the ball 30 yards in the first place.

I want the guy to do well but if you can't in a team that's winning games then I am not confident we'll ever see anything better.
  • Options
    I was just checking Seip availability for Tuesday:-

DUTCH defender Marcel Seip could have played his last game for Argyle.
    The 28-year-old has signed on loan for League One rivals Charlton Athletic until January 8.
    And Pilgrims' boss Peter Reid has described it as an opportunity for Seip to "put himself in the shop window."
    Seip is out of contract next summer and his often controversial time with the club seems to be coming to a close.

He has made nine starts and two substitute appearances for Argyle this term.
    Seip was dropped after a shocking display in the 4-0 FA Cup first round defeat by Swindon Town at Home Park on November 6.
    The son-in-law of Argyle deputy chairman Paul Stapleton has not played in any of the three games since then.
    Reid said: "It's a chance for him to go away and get games, get his fitness levels up and put himself in the shop window."
    Seip had loan spells with Ian Holloway's Blackpool and Sheffield United last term.
    Reid is set to continue with Reda Johnson and 17-year-old Curtis Nelson as his centre-backs in the League One clash against Dagenham and Redbridge at Home Park tonight.
    And the Argyle manager insisted he had plenty of other options in that position, despite the departure of Seip to The Valley.

While we are persevering with the painfully slow pairing of Fortune/Doherty with Francis playing dross nearly every match and a 37yo waiting in the wings, Plymouth are going with youth. We have Jenkinson & Cousins with international credentials better than their guy plus the older Mambo yet we persist with defensive line ups that aren't working.
  • Options
    Francis needs to be dropped imho, he nees to know this is not Southend where the squad is tiny and if you are fit you play- here consistently bad performances will lead to being benched. We have a massive xmas perios with vital games- it is not an exaggeration to suggest Saints, Brighton, Colchester, Swindon could make or break our season and we need players to be at their best- not being complacent and not giving average 5-6/10 performances.

He is not a donkey and has shown glimses of quality, just nowhere near enough times. Not saying we should give up on Francis just that he needs a spell out of the side.
  • Options
    Really guys the old charlton witch hunt again someone must be responsible..... well there was 11 out there and they were all sh!t.
  • Options
    to be fair though mate a few people have been saying francis is shocking for quite a while
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I can see what Francis could offer but its not working and i think he does need dropping - don't think its a lack of effort - just a lack of ability and his style makes his mistakes look even worse.
  • Options
    I agree he doesnt hide but his first touch is appalling and his postional sense is non existant and i can not for the life of me see how he is still in the team.

He was POS for southend how bad must the rest of them have been
  • Options
    Bale v Francis
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: dickplumb[/cite]Here are a whole raft of players who are worse than Francis. My namesake Dick Plumb, Barry Endean, Dietmar Bruck,Paul Bacon, Ralph Milne, Paul Curtis, Mike Small, Bobby Goldthorpe, Ray Tumbridge,Billy Landsdowne, Chris Jones and so it goes on. Francis is an easy target. Thought Fortune and Fry were awful.

At last someone who knows....
  • Options
    Tal El Kalej, Mike Small, Pawell Abbot, Amdy Faye, Alex Dyer, Kenny Achampong, Brendan O Connel, Paul Sturgess, Alan Campbell, Johnathon Spector, Lawrie Madden and Terry Bullivant. A Hall of Shame that i think Francis is in danger of joining if he doesn't have a rest soon.
  • Options
    Sorry but really bored of these "lets rubbish Francis" threads. He was my MOTM twice this season.

Has he slept with your Mrs or something?
  • Options
    Alan Campbell?!

He was good!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Alan Campbell?!

He was good!

Couldn't agree more Len ... one of my favourite players.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: grumpyaddick[/cite]Sorry but really bored of these "lets rubbish Francis" threads. He was my MOTM twice this season.

Has he slept with your Mrs or something?[/quote]

he must be giving you one up the date to be your man of the match twice this year
  • Options
    Shoot me down for this but is he good enough to play centre back? He seems too big, heavy & clumsy to be an effective full back...