Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Article: KNOWING ME, KNOWING YOU......SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY

Sheffield Wednesday roll their wagon down to Saff Lundan tomorrow, and Ryszard Szumski (bootiful British name, as Al Murray would say) gives us the low down on our fellow current underachievers. Our thanks to Ryszard (who posts on here as owlsonlineadmin) for giving up his time.

sheffield-wednesday-006.jpg

Years supporting Wednesday ?

Too long ! 25 years

In their 118 year history, Wednesday have only been as low as the 3rd division for just 8 seasons. How difficult was relegation last season to take ?

It's a bit embarrassing. Time and again the fans have backed the club to the hilt despite on-going board shenanigans only to be let down. Last season was a meek surrender after promises of a play-off push from our former chairman.

father-Ted_280_422484a.jpg

Alan Irvine had a decent reputation with Preston, but failed to improve things when he replaced Brian Laws last season ? What are the fans opinions of Irvine ?

Very very split, personally I cannot abide his style of "football" or rather anti football. He seems to have a few favourites who play week in, week out, despite being utterly rubbish. The natives are certainly getting restless.

Off-field problems seem to be a recurring theme of recent seasons, culminating in the current problems with HMRC. Can you summarise what the current situation is, and how seriously fans feel the current situation is ?

Fear, apprehension, uncertainty. We've been after a "takeover/investment" since what seems like the last supper only for it to turn out to be a load of old cobblers. We are still in talks apparently but I won't be holding my breath. The bank appear to have also withdrawn their support, which could spell admin for us.

The has appeared from the outside to be a lot of division between the club and the fans / websites in recent seasons ? Is that still the case ?

I tell you what, our past employees/custodians of the club and some current incumbents have a lot to answer for. A legal threat was made by the club against fans for comments on another forum (Owlstalk) which was pretty pathetic, particularly when you read the so-called "libellous comments". What left an even sourer taste in the mouth was that one fan at the time had a potentially fatal illness.

Things changed when Lee Strafford came in. He came from an IT background and embraced the forums which did seem to get a lot of people back onside, but the anger towards those still in the boardroom is getting more vicious as each passing day goes by.

Howard Wilkinson became chairman in the summer. How has this been received by fans ?

Now I remember Howard as the dull, uninspiring bloke who managed England once and could send a glass eye to sleep. But make no mistakes, he could prove to be the saviour of our club. A proper Wednesdayite, who cares more about the club than lining his pocket and he has my full respect and backing.

In South London we have Charlton, Millwall and Palace, yet you are still more likely to see replica shirts of the ‘big clubs’. Is that also the case in Sheffield, or do United and Wednesday dominate the support ?

In Sheffield it's either Wednesday or Wednesday reserves, don't let the Blades recent crowd increases fool you. They are the little brother of the city who are living on a 12-month spell in the top flight. Both clubs are well represented in the city, sure there are kids wearing the Big 4 tops but in Sheffield you're far more likely to see the Blue and White of Wednesday than Man Yoo.

Is there a fundamental difference between the type of support Wednesday and United attract, or does it all boil down to location, family and who has sustained spells doing better than the other?

Yes, we're not all dole bludging scrubbers living on the Arbourthorne ! Nah, in all seriousness I'd say we were a lot alike except we don't seem to think the world or football owes us a living. Throughout time you can argue who has the bigger support but you only need to check recent away figures to see; Wednesday at Notts Co 4,160, Blades at Forest 1,178.

article-1188269-05188A5C000005DC-22_310x354.jpg

What is the Best Wednesday XI you can put together from your lifetime ? Who is your all-time favourite player and why ?

Best? tough one, As the song goes........

1) Roland Nilsson
2) Roland Nilsson
3) Roland Nilsson
4) Roland Nilsson
5) Roland Nilsson
6) Roland Nilsson
7) Roland Nilsson
8) Roland Nilsson
9) David Hirst
10) Roland Nilsson
11) Roland Nilsson

and all the subs are Roland Nilsson

But I'd probably go

1) Pressman
2) Nilsson
3) Worthington
4) Walker
5) Pearson
6) Sheridan
7) Palmer
8) Waddle
9) Hirst
10) Bright
11) Marwood

Favourite player? Hirst by a mile, grew up watching the lad from Barnsley terrorising the so-called best defences until Arsenal had enough and booted him from pillar to post.

article-1211522-00C4DD3500000190-879_468x422.jpg

Have you ever seen a funnier Wednesday related incident than when Paulo Di Canio sent the ref tumbling ?

Yes, check out Frankie Simek's winner at Millwall in 2006. They have a corner which is nodded home and they all run off to celebrate. We appeal for a foul on our keeper, who happens to be Lee Bullen (a centre half) which the refs gives. We break whilst they are still celebrating and it ends up in their net.

heres the vid

How has form been so far this season ? Are you happy with the start you’ve made ?

We started off ok, 10 points from 4 and looking a good bet, but then we seemed to just lose the plot and go four without a win. We've now picked up a further 11 points from 5 games so not too bad, the start could have and should have been better though.

What style of football are Wednesday playing ?

A turgid 'must not lose' policy loved so much by so few.

Has the team changed much since last season ? Who has impressed so far this season and we should watch out for ?

Yes, we signed 9 players in the summer and released about the same amount. Three players who have impressed, Nicky Weaver who you'll know, Giles Coke a midfielder who's from down Kingstonian way and Neil Mellor on loan from Preston.

Coke is the man to watch though, a box to box runner capable of goals.

Where do you see both our clubs finishing this season ?

We have the squad that should win the league if we released the shackles but expect us to be in the play-offs you lot just outside

Prediction for Saturday ?

splinters in the arse, 1-1

Comments

• Cheers, always enojy reading those.
  • DiCanio must have been really shiite for them if Carlton Palmer makes his favourite side and he doesn't, was he not there long?
  • edited October 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Steve Dowman[/cite]DiCanio must have been really shiite for them if Carlton Palmer makes his favourite side and he doesn't, was he not there long?

Scored 23 goals in 41 apps
  • Got to love that Millwall (non) goal
  • Wednesday are one of my least favourite teams. I recall many years ago when the premier league was being talked about and the Owls Chairman used us as an example of team he would not want to be playing against (he was right but he did not have to sayn it) and of course the Wednesday fans applauded mocked our relegation from the prem after full time after our first season, when they beat us 1-0.
  • Wednesday are similar to Newcastle.
    Always banging on about how great they are but really they are just a regular club with a bit of history.
  • like this feature.
    did i miss the brighton one? i can't recall seeing one.
  • [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]like this feature.
    did i miss the brighton one? i can't recall seeing one.

no, the guy lined up to answer my questions never got back to me sadly
  • [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]Wednesday are one of my least favourite teams. I recall many years ago when the premier league was being talked about and the Owls Chairman used us as an example of team he would not want to be playing against (he was right but he did not have to sayn it) and of course the Wednesday fans applauded mocked our relegation from the prem after full time after our first season, when they beat us 1-0.
    Managing to knock themselves out of the fair play spot in the UEFA at the same time with an insanely violent performance.

I have to say this has definitely been one of the less charming examples of these.
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Throughout time you can argue who has the bigger support but you only need to check recent away figures to see; Wednesday at Notts Co 4,160, Blades at Forest 1,178.

it's all in the away numbers.
  • Sponsored links:

• another good post, enjoy these knowing me knowing you threads very much
  • Missed this last time out. Keep them coming please!