Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Owners of Pubs - Need help for dissertation/business again!

edited July 2010 in Not Sports Related
Hi all,

From seeing a few discussions here and there on the board I've noticed that there are a couple of pub owners and managers on the forum, and I need a bit of help on the pricing of soft drinks. What I really want to know is the price that you pay/price that you sell soft drinks (particularly bottled soft drinks) for at your pub, and particularly how this varies with quantities ordered. I've been trying to find estimated prices for these on the internet but can't seem to find them anywhere. I understand that you might not want to publicise this to the world wide web, so a whisper with any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, as I'm tentatively considering starting a business in this field after Uni, any contacts I can build in the industry I'm sure will be handy. Does anyone else run their own business? How have you found it?

Thanks for your time

Comments

• Have you actually tried phoning say Britvic rather than expecting the web to give you all the answers.

In my day if we wanted to know something we had to get off our bloody arses....!
  • If you're a student I'm guessing you spend a fair bit of time in pubs. Why don't you ask the manager behind the ramp next time you're in - before you get too smashed on snakebite, of course!
  • [cite]Posted By: Harveys Trainer[/cite]Have you actually tried phoning say Britvic rather than expecting the web to give you all the answers.

In my day if we wanted to know something we had to get off our bloody arses....!

how do you know he hasnt?!...maybe he's covering all angle's. Chill winston.
  • [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Harveys Trainer[/cite]Have you actually tried phoning say Britvic rather than expecting the web to give you all the answers.

how do you know he hasnt?!...maybe he's covering all angle's. Chill winston.
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]I've been trying to find estimated prices for these on the internet but can't seem to find them anywhere.

I got a clue from this line:
    "I've been trying to find estimated prices for these on the internet but can't seem to find them anywhere."
  • no your right, it does say he hasnt phoned anybody as well.
  • Appreciate the responses. Harveys Trainer - I have actually contacted a number of pubs in the Nottingham area of whom I know the managers, and I've also spoken to a small drinks manufacturer just outside of Nottingham. Going to ring up more places today across the country and will next week contact the main manufacturers in the industry too. However, I figure owners are much more likely to help me out if I know them or have something (like Charlton) in common with them, rather than just cold calling or wandering into their pubs (I have no money to spend at the moment anyway). The more help I can get the better, that's why I posted this here.

Anyway, I better get off my bloody arse and pour myself another snakebite ;-)
  • Why don't you ring the banqueting conference fella at Charlton? You never know, if you're local you might even be able to pop down there and get a tour around the place!
  • [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]no your right, it does say he hasnt phoned anybody as well.

OK it didn't say he flew to the moon to ask the green men either but we all assume he hasn't. Is the hair spilt enough yet?

Anyway, the reason I said Britvic is because they have a very good education programme with loads of stats on this sort of thing and I guessed some of the other large manufacturers might as well.

I take your point Nelson about trying those you know (make use of everybody) but don't be scared of trying the massive companies as many of those will have great social responsibility programmes that some of the smaller / sole traders wont.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Harveys Trainer[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]no your right, it does say he hasnt phoned anybody as well.[/quote]

I take your point Nelson about trying those you know (make use of everybody) but don't be scared of trying the massive companies as many of those will have great social responsibility programmes that some of the smaller / sole traders wont.[/quote]

You're right there, and I definitely will contact them. Thanks.
  • edited July 2010
    GNelson - if you whisper me i am more than happy to give you the advice you need