Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Club or Country

edited June 2010 in General Charlton
Personally, I have never been to an international match in England or abroad - England Schoolboys (Walkers Crisps at Wembley) excluded.

I have not travelled abroad ever to support England versus France, Germany, Slovakia. I applaud the England fans (Seen the Bexley Flag) that have travelled to South Africa.

But I have visited some godforesaken places on tuesday/wednesday nights to support Charlton Athletic and met some good people in say Torquay Grimsby, Huddersfield, Luton, Harlow, Cold Blow Lane, New Den etc..

England embarrassed us all today - but I'm more concerned about Charlton Athletic than I am about Engerland.

Club or Country - thoughts ......

Comments

• not sure half hour after England's most disasterous WC performance is the most balanced time to have this conversation !!
  • Wasn't there a thread on this the other day?
  • Club every time.

I've always said I'd even take Charlton playing in an fa cup SEMI final in my lifetime over England winning anything.

Yes it's been tough cheering on some of the dross in our shirt over the last 5 years, but that problem is completely magnified 1000x when you have the nation and media behind you. As discussed before - it's all to do with money, media and celebrity, and glad I've not got sucked in - mainly cos (as someone else said), England have a lot of players who I actively despise! I wouldn't be able to cheer on the likes of Pikie Terry or Judas Defoe ffs!!!
  • AFKA -

"not sure half hour after England's most disasterous WC performance is the most balanced time to have this conversation !!"

My missus and our sons have wet eyes.

I do not - because I have a different view - I love me country but England football team is pony.

Our England Team were ........ (insert phrase) and so they lost the game (insert score).

I will never pay to see an England Team - rather see park teams that care.
  • Charlton all day
  • I have bored everyone with my opinion on England before but Bogsy has just made me realise finally, why I have not supported them since Keegan was playing in Spain 82. Thanks mate. I do actively despise a great majority of the team that we trotted out today.
  • No contest, Charlton every time.
  • Sponsored links:

• will always be both

felt sick in 1996 when we lost in Semis
    gutted today not that we wont win the thing but the utter tosh we just showed the world.

and now the antis will be back out infull how they hated the falgs etc etc etc still at least they cant bleat on about hooligans.
  • RED ROBIN

If there was a thread a few days ago - apologies.

My issue is that the squad and Team Managers - well, yes they kinda represent England.

I'll always support England as my country - but strangely, the country's football team does not tug my heart-strings and never has.

Our Football Team - Charlton Athletic - having attended many hundreds of matches - I have a socially engendered attachment and probably irrational attachment to Club.

So there.
  • CAFC without missing a beat. Maybe that's the issue-would a German say the same?
  • Charlton every single day
  • No matter how inept Charlton are I am 100% behind the club. Can't say the same for those preening ponces that are England.
  • I am glad it is Charlton, I love my cricket as well and England just secured a great series win. One interesting thing, I respect every single English cricket player, I cannot say the same for the footie team.
  • [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]will always be both

felt sick in 1996 when we lost in Semis
    gutted today not that we wont win the thing but the utter tosh we just showed the world.

and now the antis will be back out infull how they hated the falgs etc etc etc still at least they cant bleat on about hooligans.

Agreed. I was at 96 semi and that's the most gutted I've ever felt after a game. Don't feel that gutted today because I had no expectations of this team. The only chance we had was if Rooney played well and he's been woeful all tournament.
  • The most devastated I have been after a game ever is Swindon by miles, took me a week to stop feeling like a zombie. I have never felt as distant from an England football team as I do with this one.
  • I'd put Swindon second. Another low point was when Leeds went one up in extra time at St. Andrews but that all came good.
  • Our goal v Swindon the inspiration for Germanay's second
  • Sponsored links:

• Charlton always first but I passionately want England to do well
  • I am an England "gold" member but Charlton edge it for me... close run thing though - if only the players could say as much!
  • In 98 if you had asked me Charlton v Sunderland or Argentina v England , the Penalty shoot out I would have chosen to win was Charlton multipied by about 100.

Like others the feeling after Swindon is still with me now, I'm already over England .
  • Charlton all day long. We got a hiding today not because Germany were good but because we were utter rubbish. But I don't feel anywhere near as p!ssed off as I do when charlton are rubbish.
  • I have always thought this was a bloody stupid question. But er... Club after tonight. I hope to go to brazil in 14 an i hope ireland qualify so i can support them being half irish an have fun with no expectations. England expects? England disappoints. As usual.
  • edited June 2010
    Country.England only manage to let me down every four years.

Edited. 2 years
  • always charlton but with us being as bad as we have ever been (footballing wise) since we entered league football (so soon after mixing it with the big boys) i felt more needy towards england than i ever have .... and just like our sorry club over the last few years england failed to deliver
  • Club everytime. I'd take a Charlton league win over Rochdale ahead of England winning today.
  • edited June 2010
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Screamer[/cite]Club everytime. I'd take a Charlton league win over Rochdale ahead of England winning today.[/quote]

Me too!

Today I almost felt the same pain watching England as I do when Charlton are cack. However the simple solution to the question club or country is:

What was worse- Charlton losing on pens to Swindon or England today?

For me, I felt a lot worse the Charlton night.