Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Thanks lads

A big thank you to the Lifers who contacted me a few weeks ago to say they were in town this weekend.

Shame they didn't bother to come to Floyd's at all...

Comments

• I thought you would have a fair few there mate.
  • No mate, six of them, all Charlton, just didn't bother with us. Nice of them to make it known that they were coming, just to make us feel worse.
  • edited June 2010
    It's like having a party and no one turning up...as teenagers we've all done it or know someone who has...not a pleasant experience but it happens.
  • [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]It's like having a party and no one turning up...as teenagers we've all done it or know someone who has...not a pleasant experience but it happens.

Bit more of an impact here though ... Algarve needs the custom to survive or bar will close
  • [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]It's like having a party and no one turning up...as teenagers we've all done it or know someone who has...not a pleasant experience but it happens.

Bit more of an impact here though ... Algarve needs the custom to survive or bar will close

Yes I know............very tough times in that trade no matter where you are or so it would seem!!
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]A big thank you to the Lifers who contacted me a few weeks ago to say they were in town this weekend.

Shame they didn't bother to come to Floyd's at all...[/quote]

I did my bit last week mate!!!
  • edited June 2010
    I've deleted,
  • edited June 2010
    With respect Perry, I think you are out of line starting a thread to publically attempt to ridicule people who dont visit your bar and this isnt the first time its happened either. Its no different to someone phoning me up to give them a quote and implying they will most likely use me, then because they dont book i go onto a forum and make a sarcastic comment, you just dont do things like that in business, if the bar is struggling a little you cant just come on here and start blaming us for that.

I contacted you sometime ago because it was Nicholas and myself intention to visit you but I did also contact you last week and make it crystal clear that the best man was running the show and had a schedule of events as we were only there for 3 days, I explained to you that I hoped to come and spend some money at Floyds but I also said that the schedule of events was out of my hands and after all the weekend was organised for the stag not your bar.

How would you feel if I had come on here to explain that the reason we didnt visit your bar was because someone was very ill or we had to fly back because someone had died, then come on here and seen this posted. To be honest mate its unprofessional, you run a business and if its struggling a bit at the moment you might be better putting your time and energy into thinking of ways to make the business work rather than resorting to this.

Dont mean to run you down mate, but ill be surprised if anyone disagrees with what iv written. Surely you have to agree that this sort of thing can only have a negative effect on your business...
  • I don't know Algarveaddick but I must agree with the above post. It was only very recently when he was on here moaning about business and how someone in Portugal during the play offs didn't come to is bar as if he was obliged to.
    I am sorry he is finding things tough, it's a dream for many to own and run their own bar in the sun, me included, but anyone who has such a stroppy manner will struggle to get my custom.

Algarve - Please don't get the hump with everyone. Times are tough, granted, but keep your potential customers on-side if you can mate.
  • Ease off fellas, Algarve is having a tough time, and is clearly worried about his business, bear that in mind.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2010
    [cite]Posted By: PeteF[/cite]Ease off fellas, Algarve is having a tough time, and is clearly worried about his business, bear that in mind.

Most people are having a tough time mate but If I was unemployed I wouldnt start having a go at AFKA if I hadnt found a new job because there was a thread titled 'Help Getting back to Work'
    If Algarve would have had an order and bought food, speciality drinks and they neve turned up then fair enough but with that sort of attitude people wont even bother asking where it is in future.
  • edited June 2010
    [cite]Posted By: PeteF[/cite]Ease off fellas, Algarve is having a tough time, and is clearly worried about his business, bear that in mind.

Totally agree and feel for him but going public about people not turning up and moaning does not look good for people thinking off going there.

A more business like approach could have been used
  • edited June 2010
  • That may be but I can understand where he is coming from, and bottom line is he is friend, who has did me a huge favour many years ago, so I will defend him to the hilt.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: PeteF[/cite]That may be but I can understand where he is coming from, and bottom line is he is friend, who has did me a huge favour many years ago, so I will defend him to the hilt.[/quote]

Of course goes without saying i would do the same , im just talking a professional business person moaning about people on a public forum
  • And so you should Pete, because he is your personal friend. And if it was his friends who had visited Albuifera and not come and said hello then i can perfectly understand being peed off.

But its not in this case, or the previous one, its just random people on a messageboard who happen to support the same football team as you.

I, like everyone else on here, hopes things work out in business for every other person on here. And if i was in Albuifera i would do my best to try and pay AAs bar a visit. But its never as simple as that, particularly if you are away with family, or friends on a trip where you are not the organiser, and more often than not on holiday you tend to go to whatever bar is closest or wherever you are going. I certainly don't go out of my way much for things on holiday, and i doubt many others do either, so it shouldn't be interpreted as a personal slight if people don't go to a certain bar.

If AA is having a tough time of it then we all hope things pick up for him, that goes without saying. And it is equally understandable when things aren't going to plan people generally have a need to lash out or get things off their chest etc. But his business won't fail because a couple of blokes from the other side of Europe didn't pop in for a pint, and it can make uncomfortable reading the implication that people had let him down.

If i was going that way. i would be wary of mentioning it beforehand for concern that if plans changed it would be taken personally, which is a bit of a shame. If AA is struggling, then maybe it would ultimately be more rewarding to tap into this community to float ideas or suggsetions on how to improve things, rather than rely on unlikely custom.
  • I didnt really want to post quote #9 but felt something had to be said in light of the fact that its happened before. As someone who runs my own business I know its stressful worrying about future income but I dont want to keep reading this on here everytime someone doesnt pay a visit, like AFKA said its not a personal slight and his bar wont fail because of a few people here who didnt appear as hoped, but yes i completely understand its annoying from a business point of view but that is one of the pitfalls of being self employed.

Having said that I dont want to read on here either at some point in time that the bar has closed either so I hope that AA can address the issues he has and make it work for him.
  • Perry (who i'm not sure if I've ever met?) is by all accounts a very nice individual and a very good 'mine host.'
    He's obviously feeling very down at the moment as his whole future is on a knife edge by the sounds of it.
    Good luck fella and I hope you see this awful period in 'the world's' economy through...it's little consolation I know but plenty of us self employed small businessmen/women are also having to pull in the reins in varying degrees. I'm doing OK and making a reasonable enough living at the moment as opposed to the 'bloody good living' I was making a year or two back.
    Times will change and those of us who come through the other side will be winners again...never let go of the dream.
  • edited June 2010
    All I will say is that i mentioned no names, and had no intention of doing so.
  • [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]All I will say is that i mentioned no names, and had no intention of doing so.

May not have but you still publicly critised them, you sound like your a nice bloke but obviously going through hard times at the momment

Best of luck with everything, as choice has said a bit of discretion in future as i have read both times you have done this and would make me not want to go to your bar where as before was always up for it if i'm in the area, still would be but im sure you get what im saying
  • Sponsored links:

• Sorry for upsetting the applecart folks.

I will do my best to keep my problems to myself in future.
  • Not really that mate, by all means if you are in need of support post away. just publicly slating someone before you know the reason big no no

Im sure you realise now and was all said in the momment, so im sure we all forgive you :o)

All the best
    John
  • Johnny telling someone to use a bit more discretion.

but im sure algarve is glad you have forgiven him. jeez.
  • edited June 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]Johnny telling someone to use a bit more discretion.

but im sure algarve is glad you have forgiven him. jeez.

I know bit rich coming from me, although most the time i talk bull i think in this case i havent

me putting we forgive you was a light hearted joke jeez :o)
    edited June 2010
    Not that i am planning on going to Portugal or anything but it has not put me off going to your bar, reading this, if i am ever in the area it would be wicked to go to a CAFC bar while on hols.

At the end of the day i can see both sides of the argument and while i wouldn't have gone about it the same way AA did i can understand his frustration. I know a few people in similar situations to his good self and i think its best to stick to Sounds advice hold your head high and never "let go of the dream" there will be a light at the end of the tunnel soon.
  • What are you talking about Ru ?
  • who can tell pl54.
  • i do think he might have fitted a couple more clichés into the last sentence though
  • thing is its a nice bar and perry made me and my family very welcome.

whenever i get back to portugal i shall attend the problem being money so tight and having a 4mth old that wont be until she is atleast 2-3 so she can enjoy it

good luck perry i truely mean that
  • Thanks NLA, Soundas, Pete, Stonemuse and SE9. And to the others who have whispered me.