Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

NEW ARTICLE: The Curious Case of Jonjo Shelvey

Comments

• [quote][cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Agree that us "old timers" have seen this before. Walsh, Elliot and lets not forget Gordon Watson and Lee Bowyer. Fact of life that clubs like Charlton HAVE to do this in order to survive. Big clubs prey on our talent and we kick downwards and prey on clubs smaller than us. It was ever thus.[/quote]

I remmeber being heart broken when Willo went to Sheff Weds....
  • My Dad tells me about Eddie Firmani flogged to Sampdoria for £35,000, which at the time was a record transfer fee involving a British club.

And stylish England U-23 defender Marvin Hinton sold to Chelsea ......and our England international Mike Bailey to Wolves.
    Addict mentions Billy Bonds sold to West Ham.

Don't even ask LenGlover about when Len Glover went to Leicester.

As Shooters says, "It's ever been thus".
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]My Dad tells me about Eddie Firmani flogged to Sampdoria for £35,000, which at the time was a record transfer fee involving a British club.

And stylish England U-23 defender Marvin Hinton sold to Chelsea ......and our England international Mike Bailey to Wolves.
    Addict mentions Billy Bonds sold to West Ham.

Don't even ask LenGlover about when Len Glover went to Leicester.

As Shooters says, "It's ever been thus".

All together now:

"We've got Lenny, Lenny Glover, Lenny Glover on the wing......."
  • [cite]Posted By: queensland_addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]Obvious perhaps but I think selling your future is a regretable indicator of just how knackered we are, is this really worse than administration and a new owner putting cash in?

Regretfully I'm beginning to think the same. Continually having to sell off your most valuable assets is only likely to prolong the downward spiral. I'd rather hang on to our star youngsters, the future of the club, and deal with the points deduction.

Administration is much more than a simple points deduction. It means that you hand over the finances to an external adjudicator who can decide himself what / who to sell to balance the books. This could mean for example the sale of the training ground and the team being forced to train at Charlton Park. As Harry Enfield used to say: 'is that what you want? 'Cos that's what'll happen'
  • [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: queensland_addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]Obvious perhaps but I think selling your future is a regretable indicator of just how knackered we are, is this really worse than administration and a new owner putting cash in?

Regretfully I'm beginning to think the same. Continually having to sell off your most valuable assets is only likely to prolong the downward spiral. I'd rather hang on to our star youngsters, the future of the club, and deal with the points deduction.

Administration is much more than a simple points deduction. It means that you hand over the finances to an external adjudicator who can decide himself what / who to sell to balance the books. This could mean for example the sale of the training ground and the team being forced to train at Charlton Park. As Harry Enfield used to say: 'is that what you want? 'Cos that's what'll happen'

I think Richard Murray owns the training ground so that wouldn't happen. Take your point about admin being so much more than a points deduction though.
  • someone mentioned Moo2 being out of contract this summer. I think that is wrong and he still has another year to go on his contract. Also, I very much doubt Parky had any say whatsoever on the sale or it's timing, that is a Board decision. What is certain though is that Parky had decided not to pick him recently and the fact that Jonjo was under used was entirely down to Parky.
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]someone mentioned Moo2 being out of contract this summer. I think that is wrong and he still has another year to go on his contract. Also, I very much doubt Parky had any say whatsoever on the sale or it's timing, that is a Board decision. What is certain though is that Parky had decided not to pick him recently and the fact that Jonjo was under used was entirely down to Parky.

He had lots of say mate
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]someone mentioned Moo2 being out of contract this summer. I think that is wrong and he still has another year to go on his contract.

Not only that, but I have heard that Moo2's contract makes sure he gets a 'loyalty' bonus this summer!
  • edited May 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Nadou[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]someone mentioned Moo2 being out of contract this summer. I think that is wrong and he still has another year to go on his contract.

Not only that, but I have heard that Moo2's contract makes sure he gets a 'loyalty' bonus this summer!
    Oh dear. Something about that does sound familiar, was mentioned on here before I think.

I wonder if Semedo and Racon have the same? They signed 4 year deals as well.
  • We should grateful that Charlton managed to get 1.7 million. By my rekoning that .7 bit will just about pay the wages of moutoukil and Chrstiansen for a season. You couldn't make it up !
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]We should grateful that Charlton managed to get 1.7 million. By my rekoning that .7 bit will just about pay the wages of moutoukil and Chrstiansen for a season. You couldn't make it up !

I'd be surprised if the .7 covered them both for the year
  • Yassin was rumoured to be on £8k or so wasn't he? Might have gone up each season though.

Are we still paying any of Christensen's wages? He joined his second club since leaving us not long ago.

McLeod another probably on a good contract, even Fleetwood is meant to be on a decent wage. I heard he'll have to drop his wages if Exeter are able to afford him. Both out on loan but I doubt their loan clubs are paying all their wages.

At least we can release Dickson, McKenzie and Spring.
  • McKenzie. Jesus H C. forgotten about him.
  • A very good article, AFKA, but hard not to feel depressed after reading it.
    I knew we were in the mire financially but when you start reading the figures and the scale of the debts/ running costs it is hard to see where a rescue is going to come from. There are a number of clubs out there in just as much trouble as us I suspect, the problem is are we going to be the most attractive investment for a backer looking to buy a team?
    As for the sale of Jonjo I must admit I am rather bewildered about the timing of it. He has not featured anywhere near as much as I thought he would this season. If I know anything about football, ( fill in joke of your choice here) it is that you put players in positions where their strengths are used to maximum effect. That is how you build a team, and how you get success. Now it may be that somehow parkinson could not fit jonjo into the team to utilise his strengths in the formation he wanted. Which sort of begs the question why did we not sell him for more earlier?
    Maybe he still wanted him for cover or was still trying to find a way to use him. It may be that jonjo simply did not show enough to parky despite his clear skill and promise. However, putting a young player in the right position is still the key for me, and IMHO it was clear that we did not seem to be able to, to get the best out of him.
    All this is conjecture and may be far from the reality of what was really going on, but it does feel strange to be releasing a player now ( and thereby excluding from playing for us)when our season is at a critical stage.
    Presumably parky believes we can do it without him and to be fair, the performance on Saturday would certainly suggest that potentially we can.
  • Moo2
    McKenzie
    McLeod
    Spring
    Dickson
    Fleetwood'
    McLeod
    Chrstiansen ( have to admit forgot about him!)
    ........Anyone else that is lurking in the dressing room, that claims to be a Charlton player! long lost in the mists of time.........

Does anybody know the length of contracts, and there wages, based on 'informed opinion' or is it all wild speculation based on ' guessology' enrobbed in hearsay.....
    Just so we know!....... or at least dismiss the wilder 'claims', before they turn into facts!.....
  • Dean Sinclair
  • edited May 2010
    Dean Sinclair.... yes..... put in a bid on ebay once for his boots for my lads..... thought they would be a good buy as let's admit it he could not have used them much!..... ( I am not kidding)
  • [cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]Moo2
    McKenzie
    McLeod
    Spring
    Dickson
    Fleetwood'
    McLeod
    Chrstiansen ( have to admit forgot about him!)
    ........Anyone else that is lurking in the dressing room, that claims to be a Charlton player! long lost in the mists of time.........

Does anybody know the length of contracts, and there wages, based on 'informed opinion' or is it all wild speculation based on ' guessology' enrobbed in hearsay.....
    Just so we know!....... or at least dismiss the wilder 'claims', before they turn into facts!.....

Randolph is, I believe, out of contract at the end of the season and if we're not careful we'll have him off our wage bill too.
  • Dickson will be out of contract, signed an extension August 2008 until this summer.

Yassin and McLeod signed a 4 year contracts in 2007, so both have another season to go.

Sinclair signed a 3 year deal so will be out of contract.

Fleetwood another 3 year deal, but he signed a year later, so has 1 season to go.

McKenzie most likely out of contract, simply wouldn't have given him a 2 year deal.

Spring again most likely will be as well, doubt he'd have got a long deal either.

Christensen has gone, and is now at his second club since leaving us last year.

Wages no idea, just remember Yassin was rumoured to be on about £8k, Fleetwood around £4k. McLeod probably will be on similar to Yassin.

Shouldn't have this problem in the future, most contracts at this level and below are for 1 or 2 years, clubs can't make the sort of risks we did a few years ago. If we go up the odd player might get a 3 year deal at the most I'd imagine.
  • [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]Randolph is, I believe, out of contract at the end of the season and if we're not careful we'll have him off our wage bill too.
    Meant to be 14 out of contract, will be something like-

Sam, Sodje, Randolph, Basey, Dailly, Burton, McKenzie, Spring, Sinclair, Dickson, Clark, Wagstaff, Solly and Stavrinou.

Not just Randolph we risk losing, but Waggott did confirm in the middle of March talks had begun regarding new contracts.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]
    Randolph is, I believe, out of contract at the end of the season and if we're not careful we'll have him off our wage bill too.

we shouldn't be too concerned with this as parky would have been very happy to let him go at the end of last year.
  • I think with Randolph the question has been more about character than ability. Randolph has shown before that he has ability but has made some blunders that he totally let sap his confidence. He is proving himself to Parky with some excellent performances, who hasn't dropped him for Elliot. Those saves on Saturday should give him mental ballast to fall back on if he makes a blunder soon (all keepers make them occasionally) so let's hope he is well down the road of proving himself to himself.
  • [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]

we shouldn't be too concerned with this as parky would have been very happy to let him go at the end of last year.

Perhaps we can get Ikeme on a "free" to replace him with.
  • Why not if Randolph does go? Ikeme wasn't a bad keeper.
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Why not if Randolph does go? Ikeme wasn't a bad keeper.

Fair swap Scoham. Trouble is Parky's value of Randy is nothing whereas I would suggest that Wolves might want a bit more than that - which we haven't got.
  • [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]Trouble is Parky's value of Randy is nothing
    Whatever happened in the past, Parky clearly values Randolph now. Though that means nothing, as being out of contract he is worth nothing (or would we get compensation because of his age? might be able to actually).

Don't think Ikeme is out of contract anyway.

I think we've got a good chance of keeping Randolph now that he's had a run in the team. If we don't, there will be other goalkeepers out there.
  • edited May 2010
    Thanks for the info Scoham.....
    Perhaps not as bad as I feared...... but then again it is not my money.
    We seem to have some players that seem to have rooted themselves on the 'free parking space on the Monopoly board of life', do not go 'round' but still collect £2,000 plus quid a week,
    Nice work if you can get it.......
  • You have to ask yourself what exactly is going on with Mouataokil if he can't find a single other club to take him? Jesus, even Motherwell sent him back so if he is not good enough for Jockball then how bad must he be?

If he is stupid enough to think that sitting on his arse at Charlton and seeing out his four-year deal is a good move for his career then he is getting very bad advice - other potential clubs in the future will not like that one little bit.

You have to assume that the club has tried to agree a settlement with Mouataokil but that he is asking for too much dough.

The fact is that we cannot afford to be paying someone 400,000 per year (if that is what he is on) to be sat in the stands doing nothing.

Thanks again "Super Al."
  • Well obviously the subtle approach of being banished to 'Motherwell' and not having a squad number has not given him the desired nod that he seems to be surplus to requirements!

I guess that I could put up with the stigma of a 'bench warmer' on £400,0000 a year (alleged) or even half that figure.

For a footballer who cost €600,000 according to wicki, quite what Charlton can do except pay the wages each week is uncertain!.

I assume that his agent wil not let him play at lower league football..... even if we could get a part salary contribution!

Seems to be Charlton's 'Winston Bogarde'.....
  • Randolph is bar far better than Ikeme the only thing that was ever going to improve Darrens performances was a consistant run Randolph in my opinion has and is the best keeper at the club and has been since we got relegated frrom the prem, his fitness was lacking and he was prone to the odd clanger however what keeper isnt, if we lose Randolph it will be a huge mistake and i hope that those that can sort it so we dont

Randolph, Elliot and then the youth Keeper is all we need and would save the club money looking for a suitable replacement