Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Cambridge Utd vs Charlton Athletic: Saturday 13th April 2024 | KO 15:00

Comments

• Options
    edited April 13
    Leuth said:
    You'll all be amazed how much better our defence looks when we have a halfway competent keeper 
    Same was said about the midfield.

By the time we get a new GK the defence won't look the same anyway. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Bonne’s goal is the worst we’ve conceded this season, awful from Coventry, Thomas and Isted.
    Isted’s other f&*k up at Northampton is the only one that tops it.

His crap goalkeeping has cost us 4 points in the last 6 weeks. Thank God he hasn’t been playing all season!
    It was a shit pass at Northampton and he slipped. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Chunes said:
    LouisMend said:
    "It's personnel," says Jones.

Thank the lord. I'm going to Macro that and stick it to my F1 key for the next time an Innisian on this board says it's not the defence's fault. 
    He means Isted and Thomas, not Hector, btw. What did Hector do wrong today? 
    #Hectorobsessed
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Bonne’s goal is the worst we’ve conceded this season, awful from Coventry, Thomas and Isted.

His crap goalkeeping has cost us 4 points in the last 6 weeks. Thank God he hasn’t been playing all season!
    You saying he wasn't at fault?
  • Options
    I'm his after game interview, Wickham discussed what 'WE' will be doing at Charlton next season. Sounds like he has already been offered a contract 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ross1 said:
    I'm his after game interview, Wickham discussed what 'WE' will be doing at Charlton next season. Sounds like he has already been offered a contract 

He was a big reason we were on top in that first half. We need a player like him up top next season 
  • Options
    edited April 13
    mendonca said:
    Coventry looked really weak for their goal. He had about 3 attempts to win the ball but failed with each one. Truly awful goalkeeping once again. 

On a plus, nice to see another aimless Dobson hoof land perfectly for our forward. He seems quite good at that!
    Our whole style of play is basically hoof ball.

Give it to Gillesphey, Hector or Dobson, smash it 40 yards up the pitch & hope for the best.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Let's see who stays eh
    The ones we can't get rid of, most likely. 
  • Options
    A terrible game, I don't think I've ever seen so many passes hoofed way up in the air, not even in non league. Jones and Monk I'm sure hated the football out there, but it's the time of season where style goes out of the window when relegation is a threat.

I said before the game that I didn't think TC would play at right wing back, as it would be wrong to start him after so long, out of position. I was wrong, but my reasoning was correct, he's a left sided inverse winger, who best position is where CBT played for us, not a wingback.

Thought Wickham played well, and Chuks was less effective. Gillesphey taking corners was weird, but defensively he was solid. I couldn't see enough of the goal to pass blame, but our defensive weakness isn't JUST down to the centre backs and keeper 
  • Options
    On a positive note I can highly recommend the computer museum. Indeed I should have stayed there this afternoon, playing space invaders!
  • Options
    Pretty much sums us up, this game. We struggle to score when we need to and cannot practise basic defending. This has been happening since the early season, then it was  Hector's crisis of confidence and Asiimwe being forced to play as the two full back signings Watson and Edun weren't fit. Those early games against Port Vale and Bristol Rovers at home, have been replicated in some form or another all season, the club needs three players in the positions that we have failed, as yet, to bring in centre half, middle of midfield and centre forward. 
  • Options
    May, kanu, Leaburn, Aneke and wickham should be more than enough fire power to fill the front two positions in a promotion chasing team. We also have two very good wing backs in Small and Ramsay. The focus needs to be on a creative 10, a better keeper, 2 centre backs to play with REG and a CM to replace dobbo if he goes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    May, kanu, Leaburn, Aneke and wickham should be more than enough fire power to fill the front two positions in a promotion chasing team. We also have two very good wing backs in Small and Ramsay. The focus needs to be on a creative 10, a better keeper, 2 centre backs to play with REG and a CM to replace dobbo if he goes.
    I can't agree with that first statement as they can't currently convert our draws to wins. Yes, one or two may have been injured but that's football and will always be the case.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    se9addick said:

It wasn’t completely his fault. 
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Kristian Bielik talked the same way after the play-off win at Wembley. Players have learnt to talk like they are 100% committed to the club…until they commit to another one.

But if, as he also says, he really is over his injuries, I’d be happy if we had him next season, although it will be between him and Chuks, i guess.
  • Options
    edited April 13
    ross1 said:
    Mad decision if so. Makes  very little sense having another injury prone target man taking up a space in the squad 
  • Options
    Was there today

1st half we were not too bad, played some good stuff at times - Wickham goal was excellent 

2nd half - what happened - looked like a group of players who had never met before 

🙄
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    se9addick said:

It wasn’t completely his fault. 
    No, indeed. But it was 95% his fault. 
  • Options
    This team is not good enough for promotion.

Far too many average players, plus two goalkeepers that are so poor that it is embarrassing.

Think of Bowyers team of 2019, and compare to the current squad. Light years apart.

Unless Nathan brings in 8-10 new players, next year won’t be much better.
    Couldn't agree more.

The optimism since Jones' appointment has been a breath of fresh air after the toxic environment at the end of the Appleton era (if you can call a few months an era!). However, without a huge overhaul of the squad, I can't see us fairing any better than mid-table at best next season, promotion is a fantasy with this lot.
  • Options
    It was a nice afternoon out, except for the football. My god we were crap. I expected so much more. A real end of season game from us, and the lack of quality on the ball was horrid. 

Why is REG, a central defender, taking corners? Isn't he one of our taller players? Don't we have a more gifted, creative player to take them? I found that strange. 

The whole defense, including keeper, need to be severely assessed if they are good enough for next season, for me, they're not. But we can't change them all out unfortunately, due to contracts. A keeper is definitely needed. Hector and Thomas can go too. 

I feel NJ mixed it up with the 3 changes, to get a better look at players, and he said in his post match interview he's getting a clear picture who will be in a Charlton short next year. 

Teenagers slapping each other for a few seconds outside the ground like petulant school kids summed up the game really. All a bit pathetic and meh. 

The only really shining light was watching the game with @Fanny Fanackapanand her family, always such a pleasure Jean, Thank you. :) 
  • Options
    REG didn’t play!

You talking about Gillesphey? Guess the answer to your question is ‘no, we don’t have more creative players to take corners’

There’s a massive lack of creativity in this squad. Hopefully NJ brings in some wingers & improves the style of football next season