Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Miles Leaburn - 2023-4 season

Comments

• Options
    Although perhaps a simplistic view. For my money Leaburn has been hugely missed since being injured. For such a young player it has become obvious what a influence he had when playing, I would say aside from poor recruitment and a formation rigid manager, his injury has been the reason why we will miss the playoffs this year.
    Really hope he stays and can play for us next year. One of the few in the team that I enjoyed watching.
    I'm afraid as a fan base we totally overrate his influence on the side given his young age and limited experience. 

His hold up play this season was very poor and will remain so until he grows into his body. Before then, he will remain injury prone as per his first 2 seasons. 

Sorry but that's the reality. We really needed an experienced target man this season rather than Miles.
  • Options
    To be honest I’m not really getting the hype for young Miles. He’s a good finisher for sure and his hold up play etc will no doubt improve. I just wonder though whether his close links to the club have given people a bit of a rose tinted view. He’s good but he’s not exceptional as far as I can see. Mind you neither was Burstow and we managed to pull Chelsea’s pants down. 
  • Options
    edited January 3
    Facts
    1. He's a good finisher as you say.
    2. He is young
    3. He is English
    4. He is a striker
    5. He is quite fast
    6. He is very tall
    7. He is skillful.
    8. He comes from a good, stable background and is a good, hard working character.

Potential
    Once grown into his body he should be very strong given his size, if his all round build up play improves as it should given the above he will be a very good player.

He has a long way to go, but players of the above ilk are worth a LOT of money in today's football world... As long as they are not horribly injury prone which seems the biggest risk for young Miles.

I don't think anyone reckons he is the finished article but his ceiling is very high if he can get his fitness and strength right.
  • Options
    To be honest I’m not really getting the hype for young Miles. He’s a good finisher for sure and his hold up play etc will no doubt improve. I just wonder though whether his close links to the club have given people a bit of a rose tinted view. He’s good but he’s not exceptional as far as I can see. Mind you neither was Burstow and we managed to pull Chelsea’s pants down. 
    He’s not exceptional in the way someone like Gomez was, but his potential couldn’t be more obvious. As others have said he’s got a bit of everything to his game, as long as he stays fit he could become a very good all round striker.

Look how someone like Konsa has developed to the point he’s been in an England squad. He was a good all rounder too but because he was inconsistent (as you’d expect from a young CB who was used in various positions) and not a traditional big strong towering CB a lot fans weren’t convinced but he’s improved a lot by getting plenty of game time since he left.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:
    mendonca said:
    This is going to be a very tough injury for him to return from, what with his style and leg length. Fingers crossed for the lad. I believe his hamstring tendon count on the injured leg has been reduced from 3 to 2, creating a huge imbalance at such a young age.

The only positive I can see is that his ankle gets to rest while nursing another injury. But that's me being hopeful and stating my past experience, rather than anything scientific.
    Can you explain tendon count!?

Hope this image helps.
  • Options
    One element that I think makes a huge difference to his game is the close ball control and his ability to 'out think' defenders. I can remember a number of times his movement with the ball has sent defenders completely the wrong way, for such a tall person this attribute is a great advantage. Yes he is sometimes inconsistent, and still learning the game but we have really missed this part of his play.
  • Options
    Anyone know how his recovery is going? I know at the start of December it was reported up to 5 months out, but is he going to be back before the end of this season, or will they just write him off and get him ready for next season?

Could be very important if we could get him back for the 5 games in April.
  • Options
    You won’t see him again. If he’s not fit by end of season he won’t want to play in div 2 so he’ll be off.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anyone know how his recovery is going? I know at the start of December it was reported up to 5 months out, but is he going to be back before the end of this season, or will they just write him off and get him ready for next season?

My understanding was that unfortunately he was out for the rest of the season.
  • Options
    Acab said:
    You won’t see him again. If he’s not fit by end of season he won’t want to play in div 2 so he’ll be off.
    He’d be lucky to be playing in division 2! 
  • Options
    Acab said:
    That's the spirit!
  • Options

My understanding was that unfortunately he was out for the rest of the season.
    Fuck sake. So now we're left relying on Chuks!
  • Options
    Told his recovery is going well but no timeframe for a return
  • Options
    fenaddick said:
    Even if he was fit at the end of April it would be stupid to play him, he needs protecting to make sure he’s either fit for the start of the new season or to protect his value. Plus of course as a human being, if he suffered a third injury in 12 months that would be awful. 
    If he's fit at the end of April the season will be over by then anyway.

My hope was that as the original statement said 'up to 5 months', that as he's young his body could heal quicker and the recovery might be closer to 4 months, in which case he could play in some potentially crucial games in April.

But of course if he isn't ready then there's no point rushing him back and risking further damage.
  • Options
    Miles will, as long as the injury issues don’t become a persistent thing, be a Premier League forward within the next five years.

Bold statement but with the squad size of premier clubs and the amount of players they have out on loan you could well be right.

I would stay Championship unless he get stronger but being 6ft 6in then that should come and consistency would follow as he would've better players around him.

I could even see a Dortmund or Leipzig come in for Miles if he can stay fit.
  • Options
    Miles will, as long as the injury issues don’t become a persistent thing, be a Premier League forward within the next five years.

Bold statement but with the squad size of premier clubs and the amount of players they have out on loan you could well be right.

I would stay Championship unless he get stronger but being 6ft 6in then that should come and consistency would follow as he would've better players around him.

I think that it will be a lot sooner than 5 years. Playing with better players will bring out the best of him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Bundesliga feels like a likely destination, they love signing young English talent and I could see someone with Miles's height and good feet being a target for sides over there. 
  • Options
    edited February 8
    gmantaxi said:
    Miles will tear Division 4 a new one 
    He'll tear something.  I fear his potential might be hindered, seems injury prone OR the Charlton curse already!
  • Options
    I hope we don't try to rush him back for the last few games of the season, makes sense to get his recovery right so he is primed and ready to go next season.

That being said I could see the risk being taken if we are still in real danger of relegation in mid April, although from the timelines given probably wouldn't even be possible.
  • Options
    edited February 8

I think that it will be a lot sooner than 5 years. Playing with better players will bring out the best of him.

Agree, it will be sooner than 5 years but it would be great if Charlton could've one full season in League 1 where Miles stays fit for the whole season and he moves to bigger and better things after contributing to our successful season.

He would probably go in the winter window if he hits the ground running in August and finds consistency with goals and assists but we can hope 🤞

Will definitely improve with better players around him.
  • Options
    I think Miles has the physique and natural ability to go on and make a very good career. Not sure if his ceiling is Premier League or Championship but he’s better equipped than Karlan was I think and he’s gone on to be what’s looking like being a Championship journeyman. Much prefer him to come back fully fit and firing next season after a full recovery and good pre season. 
  • Options
    gmantaxi said:
    He'll tear something.  I fear his potential might be hindered, seems injury prone OR the Charlton curse already!
    Sadly I make ya right .
  • Options
    gmantaxi said:
    The first injury this season was due to him getting done by a Welling clogger.

• Options
    Another thread overrating one of our players.
  • Options
    He is one of the few that we could get very good money for.
    As seen this season,we will miss him when he is sold on