Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MATCH THREAD : Charlton Athletic Vs Derby County : Saturday 3rd February 2024 : KO 15:00

Comments

• Options

Behind at the break. No shots on target yet from the Addicks. 17 now without a clean sheet in League One and it's another gift from the backline - Gillesphey it was who gave the ball away this time
  • Options
    At the moment we're a defensive side who can be guaranteed to screw up at the back.
  • Options
    The 352 formation is utter wank! 
    Just doesn’t work, and we’ve really lacked wide attacking play for months no
  • Options
    Genuinely think the signing of Ladapo is probably the worst business we have done this season. With this current set up we need an Aneke style player. Someone to hold the ball up and ensure the ball stays up there. Whenever ball goes near him it comes straight back to Derby.
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    The best of our play came from the passes forward of Gillesphey in the first twenty minutes. Then one goes astray, it’s punished and we went into our shell for the rest of the half.

We haven’t missed Dobson nearly as much as people thought we would.
    Callum I love your positive spin on another brainless team selection and formation which gives us 0% chance of winning!
    It didn’t feel like a 0% chance of winning when we were playing the better stuff early!

Do think we need a change now to give us more impetus for the second half.
  • Options
    edited February 3
    Scoham said:
    Addick_8 said:
    Our commitment to 3-5-2 without a creative midfielder/number 10 is the stupidest shit I’ve seen. 

That’s what happens when you have a technical director who sells our best winger and commits to a formation that we don’t have correct players for. 

Incredible some are naive enough to think this isn’t a relegation team - this one currently is. 
    If we are going to stick with this formation we need to change the midfield and start playing Kanu and drop May into the 10 if we have to. Or let’s move to a 4-4-2 diamond which this team is better suited to - it’s clear as day! 

While we are at it, let’s give the defence some confidence and bring back Isted and drop AMB.

Fleming’s trying to improve us defensively with the midfield 3 which I get, but the balance doesn’t feel right. Just getting Watson or Fiorini in there would add something, we didn’t have to sign an out and out 10.
    It needs just 2 changes. Whoever it is get Watson in there for the creativity. Our midfield can’t keep the ball so it keeps coming back. All 3 are the same type players. Kanu should be starting at the moment until Ladapo fit so I’d have him in there as well.  

Still think a diamond is better for us. I was hoping we would come away from the 3-5-2 after Appleton but worries me it’s still here. 
  • Options
    Cambridge winning 1-2 Taylor
  • Options
    The snake scoring goals 
  • Options
    Drop AMB for goodness sake.  He looks a liability.

That formation with REG in midfield offers ZERO threat.

Bakinson gets around the park that is it
    REG isn't a midfielder 
    The back 3 / 5 is an accident waiting to happen

What have Louie Watson and Daniel Kanu done wrong since last Saturday 

It didn't work last week first half
    So guess what?   Let's do the same again

Lyle Taylor scores again 

You couldn't make it up

We are plummeting downwards
    We could go down

What on earth do these coaches see each week?!
  • Options
    Wycombe 0-3
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We really need Camera & Aneke to return and show their quality from the first minute of their return. 
  • Options
    edited February 3
    Six weeks ago we were a side that kept the ball and scored goals but conceded far too many, especially late in games. 

We are now a side with five at the back and three defensive minded midfielders whose main form of attack is balls over the top or into the channels hoping May and Ladapo do something special. And we now concede even sloppier goals. 

There was clearly a decision made going into January to basically tear it down and stat anew instead of trying to improve upon what we already have. New midfield, new defenders, new formation. 

But as always with us, the question is "how does that work for the players we have?" Edun is pretty good going forward, but one of his strongest suits is his link up play and driving runs through the middle. He's not chalk on your boots whip a cross in, he's more finding space and surging forward. 10A is more of a support player going forward but not the type to beat his man and wipe a ball in. And that's before we get into Dobbo as an 8.

As such, we've lost so much creative width, which means we need to play through the middle with...a CB and two holding midfielders. 

If I'm Nathan Jones I'm both looking and this and wondering why the squad was assembled this way, but also that I can make this team look better without that much work. Pass to each other, and to the forwards. Play at least one Midfielder who can create things. Play defenders in defense. Push up as a team and press higher. 

We are a mess right now. We have the players who can provide that one moment of magic still, but relying on that isn't a particularly good tactic unto itself. 

If you set up teams to defend two weeks in a row and they concede, it's not a good sign. It means that things aren't working and a new approach is required. 

Derby don't look like they've gotten out of third gear. It's as if their manager said to them defend the long ball and wait for them to make a mistake at the back. 

I hope Fleming makes changes, and I hope that Jones spends a lot of time working with this team on their shape in possession and transition. 
  • Options
    I've just seen Nathan Jones sprinting towards Charlton station
  • Options
    I think one glaring issue watching the first half is the lack of understanding between them all 

Remember it's more than halfway through the season and just 1 month ago none of the midfield 3 were Charlton players
  • Options
    With the possible exception of  Coventry, is there a single new signing who has improved this team?

I'm struggling to think of one.
  • Options
    Kanu is on
  • Options
    Jesus how long is this half time? May as well just play second half tomorrow.
  • Options
    The best of our play came from the passes forward of Gillesphey in the first twenty minutes. Then one goes astray, it’s punished and we went into our shell for the rest of the half.

We haven’t missed Dobson nearly as much as people thought we would.

Ffs Eye GIF - Ffs Eye Roll - Discover  Share GIFs
  • Options
    For Edun so fuck knows how we line up now 
  • Options
    Wait until you see who will be providing our left side width this half! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No wingers, no creative 10 =no shots on target.
    Have to take a chance straight away. Bakinson off and  L Watson on.Then Kanu for Ladapo.

• Options
    Looks like 3412 still but Thomas left wing back, REG right centre back and May in the 10
  • Options
    Edun off Kanu on 
  • Options
    We really need Camera & Aneke to return and show their quality from the first minute of their return. 

Because in the second minute of their return they will be limping off.
  • Options

·
     46' Back at it in SE7... 
    @danielkanu_ has come on for @TayoEdun

• Options
    Don't get Thomas at LWB, he was having another decent game in the middle. 
  • Options
    edited February 3
    Still at 3-5-2

Thomas at Wing-Back - REG in Defence - May in that 10 role

Hopefully creates less of a gap between Midfield and Attack
  • Options
    Second half side

AMB
    REG Ness Gillesphey 
    Watson Coventry Bakinson Thomas
    May
    Ladapo Kanu