Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Michael Appleton - Sacked 23/1/2024 (p105)

Comments

• Options
    What a strange day.  I don't see the point in giving him 1 more game.  Looks like he's lost the dressing room & he never had the fans on side either.

Was a strange appointment & it's even more strange to be dragging this out & prolonging the inevitable

What evidence is there that he has lost the dressing room? I hate these throwaway comments, the sort of comments that lead to ' no smoke without fire' scenario. Why would so many players who have played with Appleton have joined us. Do I think he will go-yes, do I want him to be our long term manager-no, but making stuff up is unacceptable.
    I haven't "made anything up".  All I've done is given my opinion on a football forum of how it looks to me.  I thought that was the purpose of sites like this.  My mistake
  • Options
    edited January 22
    What a strange day.  I don't see the point in giving him 1 more game.  Looks like he's lost the dressing room & he never had the fans on side either.

Was a strange appointment & it's even more strange to be dragging this out & prolonging the inevitable

What evidence is there that he has lost the dressing room? I hate these throwaway comments, the sort of comments that lead to ' no smoke without fire' scenario. Why would so many players who have played with Appleton have joined us. Do I think he will go-yes, do I want him to be our long term manager-no, but making stuff up is unacceptable.
    Alfie May's reaction after the final whistle on Saturday - maybe a little circumstantial and not evidence of the entire dressing room, but having your top scorer and talisman react that way I feel is an indicator that all isn't well. 
    That's not the first time Alfie's done that on the pitch towards the bench (Appleton).

Side issue, but to me THAT shows leadership and passion, both what we need in a captain. Not saying Dobbo isn't a good man, but he's not in the same mould. If Dobbo goes we need an Alfie on the pitch to gee up the others. Let's face it he's pretty much the only player undroppable. 
  • Options
    Catching up on a tonne of posts and can’t understand what’s happened with this sacking. Can anyone sum up? 
  • Options
    Wouldn't you have taken one look at Appleton's managerial career to know that he'd never walk away from a pay-off? 

He's a professional at it. 
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Catching up on a tonne of posts and can’t understand what’s happened with this sacking. Can anyone sum up? 
    It was untrue - Appleton’s done the press conference and he’ll be in the dugout tomorrow night.
  • Options
    edited January 22

Alfie May's reaction after the final whistle on Saturday - maybe a little circumstantial and not evidence of the entire dressing room, but having your top scorer and talisman react that way I feel is an indicator that all isn't well. 
    That's not the first time Alfie's done that on the pitch towards the bench (Appleton).

Side issue, but to me THAT shows leadership and passion, both what we need in a captain. Not saying Dobbo isn't a good man, but he's not in the same mould. If Dobbo goes we need an Alfie on the pitch to gee up the others. Let's face it he's pretty much the only player undroppable. 
    yeah don't disagree with you at all, I was responding to the point that there is no evidence of losing the dressing room - from my view it is. (edited getting mixed up with the quoting so removed this bit apologies)

I guess we will see tomorrow night what the response from the players is to all of this.
  • Options
    So Appleton is saying he definitely took training this morning, others are suggesting (still) that he definitely didn’t. 

I think the club is in a tricky spot with some of his comments, he’s really not helped himself, and now the fans have turned I don’t see what benefit there is in giving him one more game. 
    Was wondering the same thing. Can't remember who the poster was without trawling back through 30 pages but they said they had a very reliable training ground contact who confirmed Fleming took training and Appleton definitely didn't.

I think it's fair to assume that the contact has no reason to lie and would've just said 'yes' if Appleton was there, so why has Appleton now been put in the position where he has to lie to the press?

All become a bit of a mess really.
    Chris, how do you know that Appleton is lying and yet you state the contact has no reason to lie. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Has anyone seen any personal abuse aimed at MA online? (Beyond the usual football stuff of "He's a twat" etc.)
    I only see here and have a look on Twitter occasionally, but I’ve not seen or heard anything particularly OTT for someone experienced in the game to be so reactive about 
    That's what I was thinking. I look on Twitter pretty regularly and haven't seen anything that crosses the line. 
    Some plonker accused him of threatening to shoot anyone who talks to his disabled mother.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Croydon said:
    How many clubs in the 92 have a manager offering out their own fans 😂

Very Clough-esque.

This will be the watershed moment and in ten years time the day after he's led us to our 3rd premier league treble and champions league trophy they'll be a mad revision of forum postings lying that we were in the minority of championing his stay as we could see he was our Sir Alex whilst everyone lost their heads calling for his exit.
  • Options
    Not an Appleton fan at all, but don't really see much wrong in the 'calling out fans for a fight' quote.

He's getting dogs abuse online and saying 'they wouldn't say it to my face' is both fair enough and true!
    Dish it out then expect to take it or be called out on it.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    I don't even care if he starts winning. I want him gone and I feel like a large part of the fanbase feel the same.
    If he starts winning then he can stay for as long as he does.

Problem is we've not seen anything to suggest he will.
  • Options
    I’d love to know what a Comms professional would make on how our club is currently run. All football clubs leak info, that’s a given. But ours feels like it’s been a garden sieve since this lot come on board. 

Seems like there’s absolutely no meaningful Comms Strategy at all; management of key messages is all over the place and mainly maintained though non-professional outlets, and with that there’s now no certainty in terms of credibility of what is being put out. Responsibility lines are all over the place.

its not an area of work I’m particularly familiar with, but it looks a right mess imo 
    If it was I.T that’d be a different matter, you’d soon show ‘em boss…
  • Options

And Doucher, I don't think he's clueless, 

Wasn't that a reaction that he didn't think his teammates were putting in the effort or tactics that the manager demanded. 
  • Options
    He frustrates the life out of me by not making subs… but this season is going nowhere anyway so I think give him time.

We will not be relegated. Hyperbole.

If we sack now which new idiot will be parachuted in at the last minute?
  • Options
    esseffect said:
    He frustrates the life out of me by not making subs… but this season is going nowhere anyway so I think give him time.

We will not be relegated. Hyperbole.

If we sack now which new idiot will be parachuted in at the last minute?
    That's good. Nothing to worry about then. Bring on the 5 or 6 wins to come between now and May
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can't we just make him steward & bailiff of the Chiltern Hundreds?
  • Options

He hasn’t lost the dressing room, he’s got the key in his pocket and he can’t lose it, if he doesn’t take his hands out of his pockets.
  • Options
    I’d love to know what a Comms professional would make on how our club is currently run. All football clubs leak info, that’s a given. But ours feels like it’s been a garden sieve since this lot come on board. 

Seems like there’s absolutely no meaningful Comms Strategy at all; management of key messages is all over the place and mainly maintained though non-professional outlets, and with that there’s now no certainty in terms of credibility of what is being put out. Responsibility lines are all over the place.

its not an area of work I’m particularly familiar with, but it looks a right mess imo 
    Which reflects some of the individuals involved at the club and is why they will need to be removed before it can succeed.
    Absolutely right, if you don't say something, someone outside will surely fill the void. 
  • Options
    edited January 22
    Wouldn't you have taken one look at Appleton's managerial career to know that he'd never walk away from a pay-off? 

Don’t like this implication that he’s only in it for a payoff and he doesn’t actually care about wins and losses. It’s very unfair.

I doubt you’ve ever had a bad performance review at work and decided later that day that actually the company is better off without you and you’re going to resign.
    I get your point. On the other hand you have to admit "standing with hands in pockets, watching and only making changes about 10 minutes after they were actually needed.... well, it didn't work the last 9 times I tried it but definitely going to work now" is not a very productive mindset.

I do agree that some of the accusations of him trying to deliberately fail to engineer a payoff are probably hyperbolic.

Accusations that he's not very good at the job he's paid to do are not. Possibly he's actually very hurt on a personal level every time we lose and just extremely stoic. But he doesn't show any sign of knowing what to do about it.
  • Options

Don’t like this implication that he’s only in it for a payoff and he doesn’t actually care about wins and losses. It’s very unfair.

I doubt you’ve ever had a bad performance review at work and decided later that day that actually the company is better off without you and you’re going to resign.
    I've never had a bad performance review at work 
    I've also never been fired from numerous jobs
    I'm also currently not failing in my profession, taking the company to its lowest ever professional standing

Appleton's record would get him sacked in probably 80+ of the 92 current league manager jobs

And I'm being nice to him not saying in 91 other clubs!

• Options
    He kind of needs to go work in a cold hearted, non-people interacting, unemotional environment. He really does not care what anybody thinks nor says is my honest opinion and in a football ‘family’ environment full of passion and commitment, that level of detachment is an absolute recipe for disaster. Offering fans out (which is effectively what he did even if that was not his intention) is absolute madness. Pre-weekend, I felt a buzz again, this man has numbed me to my core again. 

Having watched that, I would rather not see your true self - yes, act up, good, bad, indifferent acting, I don’t care, but for the love of God, do something that shifts the dynamic, even if temporarily.
  • Options
    edited January 22
    Can I just point out that the poster who declared that Appleton didn't take training today, was the same poster who declared that his informants had all told him the same thing that Appleton was to sacked today< and he couldn't work out what had gone wrong. Quite simply a case of I got it wrong but I will throw this snippet in there to reinforce my narrative.   
  • Options
    I'm not sure of the exact words but the great Lennie Lawrence once said about players that you can hug, kiss, have a go at them BUT if they don't ant to play for you on a Saturday afternoon then they won't.... So Michael we'll get the answer tomorrow night about your coaching and man management ability and what the players really think.

You called this Mickey boy, you've had way more time than some previous incumbents but your not entirely blameless... The Board, who invite their buddies along should've had the guts to put you and us out of our misery after that disaster at Orient. However, 6 games later and 1 point only...you're still here, you couldnt make it up. 

Over to you my son... Prove everyone wrong! 
  • Options
    I think it is ridiculous for us to say Appleton didn't/doesn't care. How do we know something like that? People have their ways and unless we are close to him and see him working we can comment on results and performances but not something like that.
    This…..100%.