Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dave Courtney - RIP

Comments

• Options
    robroy said:
    Imagine telling people how to remember someone’s life for minor environmental points on a football forum. Sure it feels good tho dont it. 😩

It's not minor at all, this is 1000 balloons that have the potential to cause a lot of damage to wildlife. Actions have consequences and there are much better ways to remember a person's life.

I remember when Chatlton were gong to release a load of balloons to celebrate promotion, but cancelled it,  as they realised the damage they could cause. 

Instead they paid thousands of pounds to have a petrol guzzling plane take off and have two men parachute into The Valley. Not sure that was thinking of the environment either.....

I don't believe its the time or place to be telling others how to remember someone. 
    From memory pretty much everyone said they didn't realise and thought we should do something else.

Maybe the pandemic and lockdown has made people weirder?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Before we start rattling on about balloons, etc. If you want to do something for the countryside go down to the Darenth Industrial Estate and confront the flytippers. See how your concerns are treated then. 

• Options
    edited October 2023
    robroy said:
    Imagine telling people how to remember someone’s life for minor environmental points on a football forum. Sure it feels good tho dont it. 😩

It's not minor at all, this is 1000 balloons that have the potential to cause a lot of damage to wildlife. Actions have consequences and there are much better ways to remember a person's life.

I remember when Chatlton were gong to release a load of balloons to celebrate promotion, but cancelled it,  as they realised the damage they could cause. 

Instead they paid thousands of pounds to have a petrol guzzling plane take off and have two men parachute into The Valley. Not sure that was thinking of the environment either.....

I don't believe its the time or place to be telling others how to remember someone. 
    From memory pretty much everyone said they didn't realise and thought we should do something else.

Only ‘maybe’ you think?😆

(not commenting on the balloons)
  • Options
    cafcfan said:
    robroy said:

As I recall it was me that started the thread about balloons for the Portsmouth 25 year anniversary event. And the balloons were indeed cancelled.  I took a load of uninformed abuse for it at the time.

So, don't worry about the hard of thinking on here @ME4addick.

In any event, while not wishing to interfere in anyone's celebration of life, any such balloon release requires CAA authority and 28 days notice must be given.  

The release of small balloons in UK airspace is subject to the requirements of Article 93 of the ANO 2016 (as amended). Outwith the legal requirements, CAA Airspace Regulation may consider it necessary to impose restrictions in order to ensure flight safety, particularly for mass releases within 10 nautical miles of an active aerodrome. All applications should be submitted using the notification form.

I'm guessing none of us want a squadron of balloons sucked into a jet engine on take-off from LCY?

I find it difficult to believe people don't think of this stuff.  Anyone who knows the organisers of the balloon release should probably tell them.

London City Airport

To minimise our impact on local residents, we only operate flights between the following hours:

Airport operating hours

Date / day

Time

Weekdays

6.30am to 10.30pm

Saturday

6.30am to 1pm

Sunday

12.30pm to 10.30pm

Public & Bank Holidays

9.00am to 10.30pm

25th December

Closed

The final 30 minutes of operation are only for flights which were scheduled earlier but unavoidably delayed.
    https://www.londoncityairport.com/corporate/environment/noise-management-and-monitoring/airport-operating-hours
  • Options
    robroy said:

Only ‘maybe’ you think?😆

(not commenting on the balloons)
    I swear people wouldn't give a shit about minor things like balloons back then. Now you've got folk googling the opening hours of London City Airport!

It's had a bigger reaction than a very tough to watch video someone made for his love ones to watch after he killed himself.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    clive said:
    cafcfan said:
    robroy said:

As I recall it was me that started the thread about balloons for the Portsmouth 25 year anniversary event. And the balloons were indeed cancelled.  I took a load of uninformed abuse for it at the time.

So, don't worry about the hard of thinking on here @ME4addick.

In any event, while not wishing to interfere in anyone's celebration of life, any such balloon release requires CAA authority and 28 days notice must be given.  

The release of small balloons in UK airspace is subject to the requirements of Article 93 of the ANO 2016 (as amended). Outwith the legal requirements, CAA Airspace Regulation may consider it necessary to impose restrictions in order to ensure flight safety, particularly for mass releases within 10 nautical miles of an active aerodrome. All applications should be submitted using the notification form.

I'm guessing none of us want a squadron of balloons sucked into a jet engine on take-off from LCY?

I find it difficult to believe people don't think of this stuff.  Anyone who knows the organisers of the balloon release should probably tell them.

London City Airport

To minimise our impact on local residents, we only operate flights between the following hours:

Airport operating hours

Date / day

Time

Weekdays

6.30am to 10.30pm

Saturday

6.30am to 1pm

Sunday

12.30pm to 10.30pm

Public & Bank Holidays

9.00am to 10.30pm

25th December

Closed

The final 30 minutes of operation are only for flights which were scheduled earlier but unavoidably delayed.
    https://www.londoncityairport.com/corporate/environment/noise-management-and-monitoring/airport-operating-hours
    I find it difficult to believe people don't look this stuff up....
  • Options
    I should add, RIP. I couldn't watch much of the video, just made me incredibly sad how matter of fact he was being. I had no idea he was a Charlton fan, not a name that's popped up on lists before as far as i remember. 
  • Options

I remember when Chatlton were going to release a load of balloons to celebrate promotion, but cancelled it,  as they realised the damage they could cause. 

If there are 1,000 balloons in The Royal Oak no one will be able to get in.
    NB there is also a suggested 64th minute applause for Dave who was aged 64.
    No offence to family, friends and acquaintances, but I've followed Charlton home and away for over 50 years and I'd never heard of nor recognise Dave Courtney. RIP.
    Echo this.

Sad end to what seems like a very colourful life. But at least he chose his own way of going, which many of us can't.

RIP.
  • Options
    The bloke was a fan who done quite a bit for charity and who took his own life relatively publicly. Personally can't see how people clapping in his memory would trigger anyone. It's not compulsory to join in and it's not like it's being arranged officially by the Club.