Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• This is great news. I hope he gets a decent loan but wouldn’t be shocked if he was kept around the squad. 
  • Is he any good?
  • mart77 said:
    This is great news. I hope he gets a decent loan but wouldn’t be shocked if he was kept around the squad. 
    I believe he is good loan material to a decent set up.
  • I've not seen much of the youth beyond the recent cup games, but he's pretty solid defensively, has got decent pace and is willing to get up the pitch and put a cross in. How that translates to the 1st team I can't say, but he didn't disgrace himself when he came on as sub at Cheltenham.
  • edited May 2023
    He looked solid in the Haringey game, a "proper" defender, rather than just the sort of defender who catches the eye with their attacking play
  • Is he any good?
    I think he’s a real prospect and hope he gets a good loan after a pre-season with the first team. I’m not sure I quite see him as a wing back like Avory says in the article but if he keeps developing we’ll have a good player on our hands.

Hopefully more will be announced soon, especially Casey, but I fear we won’t keep all those we want to. Fingers crossed though.
  • No mention of contract length - strategy of new owners, takeover must be imminent.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2023
    Keep signing up those stars of our future...great news
  • Good news.  Good prospect.  Good luck Nathan.

Also good to see the club move so swiftly and definitively in replacing Sean Clare as RB.
  • well done to the lad. Hopefully on a decent long term contract
  • He looked good in the games I've watched this last season. Athletic, string with a good mix of defending and overlapping. Very confident too. Along with Karoy Anderson those two have stood out this season. 
  • seth plum said:
    I think he is a good prospect. Usually plays in the right back position, and compared with his peers he is physically strong. He does not come across to me as stroppy, but a player with focus. As I have said before he can grow into games, and is certainly a good team mate (as they all are), seems very coachable judging by the number of less obvious choices he makes during games in order to try for an advantage.
    The transition from his level into men's football remains the most difficult step of all.
    Who might he remind me of from recent Charlton history? Maybe Anthony Djiksteel but not only because they play in similar positions.
    Richard Chin has also had a contract and has played in a similar part of the pitch.
    Possible that he'd be kept as back up to Egbo rather than loaned out?

I guess the answer probably depends on who our owner (and budget) is for next season.
  • seth plum said:
    I think he is a good prospect. Usually plays in the right back position, and compared with his peers he is physically strong. He does not come across to me as stroppy, but a player with focus. As I have said before he can grow into games, and is certainly a good team mate (as they all are), seems very coachable judging by the number of less obvious choices he makes during games in order to try for an advantage.
    The transition from his level into men's football remains the most difficult step of all.
    Who might he remind me of from recent Charlton history? Maybe Anthony Djiksteel but not only because they play in similar positions.
    Richard Chin has also had a contract and has played in a similar part of the pitch.
    Possible that he'd be kept as back up to Egbo rather than loaned out?

I guess the answer probably depends on who our owner (and budget) is for next season.
    Only 18, too soon to expect him to be a first teamer next season
  • Partly depends on the make up of the rest of the squad. If Ness, Deji and Mitchell are 3 of our 4 or 5 senior CBs (I hope not) then we’ll really be lacking experience if we also use Asiimwe as our second choice RB.
  • Redhenry said:
    if he's good enough...
    Elewere is a year older than Asiimwe, and this season has been out on loan at Bromley
  • Sponsored links:

• We would be happy with the equivalent of winning every home game and drawing every away game whatever the team.
  • Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Partly depends on the make up of the rest of the squad. If Ness, Deji and Mitchell are 3 of our 4 or 5 senior CBs (I hope not) then we’ll really be lacking experience if we also use Asiimwe as our second choice RB.
    Why did that get a LOL? Would we really be happy with our squad if around half of our defenders were teenagers?

They need a pathway but we also need depth and experience so youngsters aren’t thrown in because there’s no other option. That’s not good for their development, we’ve seen it in the past with players like Grant and Wagstaff who weren’t ready and then had to build heir confidence back up.
    I think that the problem is that while you, I and indeed the vast majority of fans with even basic football knowledge are WELL aware that making the squad options/depth reliant on still-developing youth players is a terrible plan, it's not impossible that that is EXACTLY what we're going to end up with next season... by accident or design.

If we don't see any resolution to the takeover circus, Sandgaard’s not going to spend much and no-one else will be in a position to provide funds. Yes Storrie has given us the whole "a budget has been set" line but this doesn't equate to it being a large or even adequate budget, just that it exists.
  • edited May 2023
    thenewbie said:
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Partly depends on the make up of the rest of the squad. If Ness, Deji and Mitchell are 3 of our 4 or 5 senior CBs (I hope not) then we’ll really be lacking experience if we also use Asiimwe as our second choice RB.
    Why did that get a LOL? Would we really be happy with our squad if around half of our defenders were teenagers?

They need a pathway but we also need depth and experience so youngsters aren’t thrown in because there’s no other option. That’s not good for their development, we’ve seen it in the past with players like Grant and Wagstaff who weren’t ready and then had to build heir confidence back up.
    I think that the problem is that while you, I and indeed the vast majority of fans with even basic football knowledge are WELL aware that making the squad options/depth reliant on still-developing youth players is a terrible plan, it's not impossible that that is EXACTLY what we're going to end up with next season... by accident or design.

If we don't see any resolution to the takeover circus, Sandgaard’s not going to spend much and no-one else will be in a position to provide funds. Yes Storrie has given us the whole "a budget has been set" line but this doesn't equate to it being a large or even adequate budget, just that it exists.
    I also find it kind of tiresome that every time we sign or resign a youth player to a contract the comments about "he's going to be in the first team now" roll in. He might be, but looking back over the last few years, not every youth player signed to a deal has gone straight into the first team. It's usually an indication that they're somewhat close, but (from memory) Campbell, Leaburn, and Kanu all signed a few months before being eased into the first team.

Kanu is still being eased into the first team, Campbell was eased in well and he really grew into it and made one of the wing positions his own. And it was clear in pre season last season that Miles was going to be a first teamer. I was very skeptical, I will admit. I didn't feel like he had the technical or tactical abilities to be a first team regular, especially not as a lone #9. And I was wrong, and the club's evaluation staff was right. He got his bumps and bruises in the first couple of months, but that was worth it for what he developed into starting in October(ish). 

Everyone should absolutely be skeptical of our transfer business and squad size and balance. I say balance because I would argue that our squad was too big the last two seasons, but it wasn't well balanced. But if every time a young player signs a contract we assume he's going straight into the first team then it's going to start to feel like signing young players is a bad thing. And it's not, it's good, and we have a lot of examples down the years of players we should have signed to better deals to make sure we got more for them (Gomez, Konsa, etc.).
  • edited May 2023
    Redhenry said:
    if he's good enough...

Good luck to Nathan.

I had opportunities in the 21/22 season to watch youth matches and try to pick the brains of professional Coaches and scouts  (ex players mainly) about when are young players ready for 1st team football?

Various answers but take two players:

Kwadro Baah: Mad as a box of frogs, released by Palace, joins Kinetic academy and plays for Whyteleafe men's football at 15 before getting a contract at Rochdale.
    Scores two goals against Charlton at 17  ! Nearly joins Man City, eventually joins Watford and is now on loan in Germany at 20. Strong two footed forward. Spotted playing as 9 year old in Catford by Joe Shields who has worked in the Man City academy.

Joe Gomez: superb attitude from young, calm, defender who makes debut for 18's when still 14. First team debut at just 17.
    Strong in body and mind. Only two bad injuries has hampered his progress at Liverpool and England. Now 26 may need to leave Liverpool to play regular but set up financially for life as sensible lad. Dad a big influence on career and still chats to Charlton youngsters.

Two polar opposite characters but the one thing in common was strength as young teenagers; and bags of talent which is mandatory!

Still not an exact science because both Michael Owen and Jon-Jo Shelvey played men's football as 16 year olds and they didn't look like they had been in the Gym.

Utter positive belief in your own ability may be the common denominator.
  • SDAddick said:
    thenewbie said:
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:

I also find it kind of tiresome that every time we sign or resign a youth player to a contract the comments about "he's going to be in the first team now" roll in. He might be, but looking back over the last few years, not every youth player signed to a deal has gone straight into the first team. It's usually an indication that they're somewhat close, but (from memory) Campbell, Leaburn, and Kanu all signed a few months before being eased into the first team.

Kanu is still being eased into the first team, Campbell was eased in well and he really grew into it and made one of the wing positions his own. And it was clear in pre season last season that Miles was going to be a first teamer. I was very skeptical, I will admit. I didn't feel like he had the technical or tactical abilities to be a first team regular, especially not as a lone #9. And I was wrong, and the club's evaluation staff was right. He got his bumps and bruises in the first couple of months, but that was worth it for what he developed into starting in October(ish). 

Everyone should absolutely be skeptical of our transfer business and squad size and balance. I say balance because I would argue that our squad was too big the last two seasons, but it wasn't well balanced. But if every time a young player signs a contract we assume he's going straight into the first team then it's going to start to feel like signing young players is a bad thing. And it's not, it's good, and we have a lot of examples down the years of players we should have signed to better deals to make sure we got more for them (Gomez, Konsa, etc.).
    Fair points but my main concern isn't that Holden or anyone else is specifically INTENDING to sign youth as the basis for next season, or that Nathan or any of the others are seen as ready (they may or may not be.)

My issue is that if Sandgaard continues to play silly bastards we're going to be FORCED to rely on the younger players. If he sells too late, or even not at all if he pushes his luck too far, we're going to end up back in the situation of signing ageing, injury prone players again and the subsequent lack of balance when too many players aren't fit at once.

His signing is a very good thing, for the future. But does little to improve the situation in the present.
  • Interesting comments from Holden, sounds like Asiimwe has both the pace and fitness needed for the wing back role. Not having that in our wing backs is one of the reasons 3-5-2 didn’t work under Jackson.
  • Scoham said:
    Interesting comments from Holden, sounds like Asiimwe has both the pace and fitness needed for the wing back role. Not having that in our wing backs is one of the reasons 3-5-2 didn’t work under Jackson.
    Reading that I was very torn because I was having flash backs to Garner saying similar about Leaburn last season and despite him being right about Leaburn we were still short up front.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Interesting comments from Holden, sounds like Asiimwe has both the pace and fitness needed for the wing back role. Not having that in our wing backs is one of the reasons 3-5-2 didn’t work under Jackson.
    Reading that I was very torn because I was having flash backs to Garner saying similar about Leaburn last season and despite him being right about Leaburn we were still short up front.
    I thought Leaburn was over 6 foot 😃
  • He's looked pretty decent but it'd only be worth keeping him around the squad if he was going to feature. If not then it'd probably be more beneficial for his progress to try and get him a loan rather than playing him in the U23s/21s or whatever they are now.

I like the look of Anderson as well, i think he'll be one that makes it.